Adding Searchable to components

Mike Thomsen
I have a few ideas on some processors and controller services that might
benefit from having Searchable implemented on them. Anyone got suggestions
for some Jira tickets to start adding Searchable and making things more
easily discovered?

Re: Adding Searchable to components

Matt Burgess-2
Mike,

I definitely like the idea. If the list is long we could create an
Epic case and people can keep biting off chunks of it into Jira cases
underneath. Or if they're easily categorizable (like extending your
recent PR [1] into all scriptable components), we could have a Jira
for each "area", as long as it's a reasonable chunk of work. I'd
reference your recent PR/Jira [2]  in any created Jira case so folks
can follow your example and maybe knock all of them out in parallel.
Hackathon anyone? :)

[1] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3513
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-4406

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 4:42 PM Mike Thomsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a few ideas on some processors and controller services that might
> benefit from having Searchable implemented on them. Anyone got suggestions
> for some Jira tickets to start adding Searchable and making things more
> easily discovered?

Re: Adding Searchable to components

Mike Thomsen
Epic created: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-6427

Would it be a good idea to implement it on Hadoop components and let users
scan through the Hadoop configurations?

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 5:14 PM Matt Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I definitely like the idea. If the list is long we could create an
> Epic case and people can keep biting off chunks of it into Jira cases
> underneath. Or if they're easily categorizable (like extending your
> recent PR [1] into all scriptable components), we could have a Jira
> for each "area", as long as it's a reasonable chunk of work. I'd
> reference your recent PR/Jira [2]  in any created Jira case so folks
> can follow your example and maybe knock all of them out in parallel.
> Hackathon anyone? :)
>
> Regards,
> Matt
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3513
> [2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-4406
>
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 4:42 PM Mike Thomsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have a few ideas on some processors and controller services that might
> > benefit from having Searchable implemented on them. Anyone got
> suggestions
> > for some Jira tickets to start adding Searchable and making things more
> > easily discovered?

Re: Adding Searchable to components

Mike Thomsen
I'm thinking about adding a property to the Searchable interface that would
allow the search system to delegate reading the properties to the
component's search function. A good use case for that is if you have to
attach a Scanner to a large field of JSON or something like that and you
don't want the search system to show the whole configuration property value
on top of your search results that show specific line numbers. Thoughts?

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:29 PM Mike Thomsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Epic created: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-6427
>
> Would it be a good idea to implement it on Hadoop components and let users
> scan through the Hadoop configurations?
>
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 5:14 PM Matt Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I definitely like the idea. If the list is long we could create an
>> Epic case and people can keep biting off chunks of it into Jira cases
>> underneath. Or if they're easily categorizable (like extending your
>> recent PR [1] into all scriptable components), we could have a Jira
>> for each "area", as long as it's a reasonable chunk of work. I'd
>> reference your recent PR/Jira [2]  in any created Jira case so folks
>> can follow your example and maybe knock all of them out in parallel.
>> Hackathon anyone? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Matt
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3513
>> [2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-4406
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 4:42 PM Mike Thomsen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a few ideas on some processors and controller services that might
>> > benefit from having Searchable implemented on them. Anyone got
>> suggestions
>> > for some Jira tickets to start adding Searchable and making things more
>> > easily discovered?

Re: Adding Searchable to components

Mike Thomsen
Something like:

default boolean delegatePropertySearch() {
  return true;
}