Apache MiNiFi C++ 0.3.0 Release Helper Guide

Apache MiNiFi C++ 0.3.0 Release Helper Guide

Marc Parisi
Hello Apache NiFi community,

Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
validating/verifying the release so they can vote.

# Download latest KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS

# Import keys file:
gpg --import KEYS

# Pull down nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0 source release artifacts for review:

wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-minifi-cpp/0.3.0/nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz
wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-minifi-cpp/0.3.0/nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz.asc
wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-minifi-cpp/0.3.0/nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz.md5
wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-minifi-cpp/0.3.0/nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz.sha1
wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-minifi-cpp/0.3.0/nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz.sha256

# Verify the signature
gpg --verify nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz.asc

# Verify the hashes (md5, sha1, sha256) match the source and what was
provided in the vote email thread
md5sum nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz
sha1sum nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz
sha256sum nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz

# Untar nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz
tar xf nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source.tar.gz

# Verify the build works

Be mindful of the pre-requisites required for the C++ version of MiNiFi,
enumerated in the README [1] and the switching to the CMake build system
These can vary from system to system and distribution, an example of the
package listing for a recent Ubuntu release is:
  cmake gcc g++ libcurl4-openssl-dev uuid-dev uuid libboost-all-dev
libssl-dev doxygen libpython3-dev libbz2-dev liblzma-dev

Once the required environment is established, a build with testing and
linting can be performed via:

  cd nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-source
  mkdir build
  cd build
  cmake DPORTABLE=ON -DFAIL_ON_WARNINGS= ..
  make package
  make test
  make linter

# Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.

# Verify the git commit ID is correct

# Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID

# Look at the resulting convenience assembly
(nifi-minifi-cpp-0.3.0-bin.tar.gz) found in your build directory

# Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct

# Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected

Be mindful of caveats for this initial release, listed in the README. Since
the convenience binaries include
the scripting extension [2], Python support is needed per our README [1]

For some additional assistance, a package with configuration files for both
a MiNiFI instance and a NiFi instance available at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MINIFI/Releasing+MiNiFi#ReleasingMiNiFi-SampleNiFiandMiNiFiConfigurationtotransmitdatafromMiNiFitoNiFiviaSitetoSite
The provided sample configuration bundle assumes that NiFi is configured to
listen on port 8081 and has 10001 configured for Site to Site's
nifi.remote.input.socket.port.

# Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on your
findings.

Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

[1]
https://github.com/apache/nifi-minifi-cpp/blob/MINIFICPP-304-RC2-0.3.0/README.md#system-requirements
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=74685143

Re: Apache MiNiFi C++ 0.3.0 Release Helper Guide

Marc Parisi
Hello,

I wanted to provide some clarification since I've received questions.

The following command is to create the make files via CMAKE. You do not
need PORTABLE=ON unless you are specifically building binaries that need to
be portable amongst a platform.
Instead of using the following command:

cmake -DPORTABLE=ON -DFAIL_ON_WARNINGS= ..

Use the following, unless you need your binaries to be built without
optimizations.  For the purposes of release verification PORTABLE is not
necessary, but can be useful for testing amongst machines with different
architectures.

Note that we are disabling FAIL_ON_WARNINGS for the current release , so
there is nothing after the equals operator. I've received questions about
this and it is not a typo.

cmake  -DFAIL_ON_WARNINGS= ..

   Thanks
   Marc