Apache NiFi 1.5.0 (RC1) Release Helper Guide

Apache NiFi 1.5.0 (RC1) Release Helper Guide

joewitt
Administrator
Hello Apache NiFi community,

Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
validating/verifying the release so they can vote.

# Download latest KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS

# Import keys file:
gpg --import KEYS

# [optional] Clear out local maven artifact repository

# Pull down nifi-1.5.0 source release artifacts for review:

wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.md5
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha1
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha256

# Verify the signature
gpg --verify nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc

# Verify the hashes (md5, sha1, sha256) match the source and what was
provided in the vote email thread
md5sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
sha1sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
sha256sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip

# Unzip nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip

# Verify the build works including release audit tool (RAT) checks
cd nifi-1.5.0
mvn clean install -Pcontrib-check,include-grpc

# Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.

# Verify the git commit ID is correct

# Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID

# Look at the resulting convenience binary as found in nifi-assembly/target

# Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct

# Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected

# Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
your findings.

Please note that the convenience binaries and artifacts are provided
except for the tar.gz/zip of the actual nifi build.
It is simply too large to upload at this time.  But once
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15816 is
addressed I will upload it.

Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi 1.5.0 (RC1) Release Helper Guide

Jeff Zemerick
Hi Joe,

I'm getting a 404 on those download links.

Thanks

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 5:19 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Apache NiFi community,
>
> Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
> validating/verifying the release so they can vote.
>
> # Download latest KEYS file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS
>
> # Import keys file:
> gpg --import KEYS
>
> # [optional] Clear out local maven artifact repository
>
> # Pull down nifi-1.5.0 source release artifacts for review:
>
> wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> 1.5.0-source-release.zip
> wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> 1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc
> wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> 1.5.0-source-release.zip.md5
> wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> 1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha1
> wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> 1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha256
>
> # Verify the signature
> gpg --verify nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc
>
> # Verify the hashes (md5, sha1, sha256) match the source and what was
> provided in the vote email thread
> md5sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
> sha1sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
> sha256sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
>
> # Unzip nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
>
> # Verify the build works including release audit tool (RAT) checks
> cd nifi-1.5.0
> mvn clean install -Pcontrib-check,include-grpc
>
> # Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.
>
> # Verify the git commit ID is correct
>
> # Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID
>
> # Look at the resulting convenience binary as found in nifi-assembly/target
>
> # Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct
>
> # Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected
>
> # Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
> your findings.
>
> Please note that the convenience binaries and artifacts are provided
> except for the tar.gz/zip of the actual nifi build.
> It is simply too large to upload at this time.  But once
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15816 is
> addressed I will upload it.
>
> Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi 1.5.0 (RC1) Release Helper Guide

Aldrin Piri
Looks like there was an extra nifi directory created.  I moved them in the
repo to reflect the paths in the helper email.

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 7:52 AM, Jeff Zemerick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I'm getting a 404 on those download links.
>
> Thanks
>

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 5:19 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Apache NiFi community,
> >
> > Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
> > validating/verifying the release so they can vote.
> >
> > # Download latest KEYS file:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS
> >
> > # Import keys file:
> > gpg --import KEYS
> >
> > # [optional] Clear out local maven artifact repository
> >
> > # Pull down nifi-1.5.0 source release artifacts for review:
> >
> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip
> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc
> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.md5
> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha1
> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha256
> >
> > # Verify the signature
> > gpg --verify nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc
> >
> > # Verify the hashes (md5, sha1, sha256) match the source and what was
> > provided in the vote email thread
> > md5sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
> > sha1sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
> > sha256sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
> >
> > # Unzip nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
> >
> > # Verify the build works including release audit tool (RAT) checks
> > cd nifi-1.5.0
> > mvn clean install -Pcontrib-check,include-grpc
> >
> > # Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.
> >
> > # Verify the git commit ID is correct
> >
> > # Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID
> >
> > # Look at the resulting convenience binary as found in
> nifi-assembly/target
> >
> > # Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct
> >
> > # Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected
> >
> > # Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
> > your findings.
> >
> > Please note that the convenience binaries and artifacts are provided
> > except for the tar.gz/zip of the actual nifi build.
> > It is simply too large to upload at this time.  But once
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15816 is
> > addressed I will upload it.
> >
> > Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi 1.5.0 (RC1) Release Helper Guide

Joe Witt
Thanks for fixing that directory/link Aldrin!

JeffZ: With regard to your ask on hipchat "Hi guys. Building 1.5.0 RC
on OSX and I get a few failing tests in TestListenSMTP. The tests pass
on Ubuntu. Just wondering if those are known failures? I didn't see
any open JIRAs with a quick search."

I responded with

"[10:50 PM] Joe Witt: not known errors.  Please share the build
command you're using
[10:51 PM] Joe Witt: Those tests have been problematic in the past
because they started on a specific port and in parallel build cases
the port might be in use.  However, some changes were made to improve
that.  We probably need to just make them be integration tests only.
Please do file a JIRA with your observations"

Thanks

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 6:09 AM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like there was an extra nifi directory created.  I moved them in the
> repo to reflect the paths in the helper email.
>

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 7:52 AM, Jeff Zemerick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> I'm getting a 404 on those download links.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 5:19 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Apache NiFi community,
>> >
>> > Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
>> > validating/verifying the release so they can vote.
>> >
>> > # Download latest KEYS file:
>> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS
>> >
>> > # Import keys file:
>> > gpg --import KEYS
>> >
>> > # [optional] Clear out local maven artifact repository
>> >
>> > # Pull down nifi-1.5.0 source release artifacts for review:
>> >
>> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
>> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip
>> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
>> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc
>> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
>> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.md5
>> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
>> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha1
>> > wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-1.5.0/nifi-
>> > 1.5.0-source-release.zip.sha256
>> >
>> > # Verify the signature
>> > gpg --verify nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip.asc
>> >
>> > # Verify the hashes (md5, sha1, sha256) match the source and what was
>> > provided in the vote email thread
>> > md5sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
>> > sha1sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
>> > sha256sum nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
>> >
>> > # Unzip nifi-1.5.0-source-release.zip
>> >
>> > # Verify the build works including release audit tool (RAT) checks
>> > cd nifi-1.5.0
>> > mvn clean install -Pcontrib-check,include-grpc
>> >
>> > # Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.
>> >
>> > # Verify the git commit ID is correct
>> >
>> > # Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID
>> >
>> > # Look at the resulting convenience binary as found in
>> nifi-assembly/target
>> >
>> > # Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct
>> >
>> > # Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected
>> >
>> > # Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
>> > your findings.
>> >
>> > Please note that the convenience binaries and artifacts are provided
>> > except for the tar.gz/zip of the actual nifi build.
>> > It is simply too large to upload at this time.  But once
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15816 is
>> > addressed I will upload it.
>> >
>> > Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi 1.5.0 (RC1) Release Helper Guide

Jeff Zemerick
Thanks, Joe! It was a parallel build. I will write it up in a ticket.