Apache NiFi Registry 0.1.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Apache NiFi Registry 0.1.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Bryan Bende-2
Hello Apache NiFi community,

Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
validating/verifying the Apache NiFi Registry release so they can
vote.

# Download latest KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS

# Import keys file:
gpg --import KEYS

# [optional] Clear out local maven artifact repository

# Pull down nifi-registry-0.1.0 source release artifacts for review:

wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.1.0/nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.1.0/nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip.asc
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.1.0/nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip.md5
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.1.0/nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip.sha1
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.1.0/nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip.sha256

# Verify the signature
gpg --verify nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip.asc

# Verify the hashes (md5, sha1, sha256) match the source and what was
provided in the vote email thread
md5sum nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip
sha1sum nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip
sha256sum nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip

# Unzip nifi-registry-0.1.0-source-release.zip

# Verify the build works including release audit tool (RAT) checks
cd nifi-registry-0.1.0
mvn clean install -Pcontrib-check

# Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.

# Verify the git commit ID is correct

# Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID

# Look at the resulting convenience binary as found in
nifi-registry-assembly/target

# Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct

# Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected

# Test integration between the registry and NiFi

Start the registry

./bin/nifi-registry.sh start

Create a bucket in the registry
- Go to the registry UI at http://localhost:18080/nifi-registry
- Click the tool icon in the top right corner
- Click New Bucket from the bucket table
- Enter a name and click create

Get the NiFi PR which adds the support for integrating with the registry
https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2219

From that PR, edit the root pom and change:
<nifi.registry.version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</nifi.registry.version>
<nifi.registry.version>0.1.0</nifi.registry.version>

Build the PR and start NiFi

NOTE: You must have already built nifi-registry with "mvn clean
install" in order to build this PR because it depends on snapshot JARs
being in your local Maven repo.

Tell NiFi about your local registry instance
- Go the controller settings for NiFi from the top-right menu
- Select the Registry Clients tab
- Add a new Registry Client giving it a name and the url of
http://localhost:18080

Create a process group and place it under version control
- Right click on the PG and select the Version menu
- Select Start Version Control
- Choose the registry instance and bucket you want to use
- Enter a name, description, and comment

the versioned flow you just saved

Import a new PG from a versioned flow
- Drag on a new PG like normal
- Instead of entering a name, click the Import link
- Now choose the flow you saved before

You should have a second identical PG now.

# Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
your findings.

Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi Registry 0.1.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Aldrin Piri
+1, binding

Awesome stuff and a very welcomed enhancement to the NiFi ecosystem.
Definitely a lot of neat potential to build on from here.

Comments:
hashes and signatures good
build and contrib-check looked good.  Had some intermittent issues with NPM
in a clean environment, repeating the build eventually got a complete and
successful build.  Subsequent builds beyond that point had no issues.

minor:  DEPENDENCIES file should be excluded from source packaging. not
sure if this was a one-off from the release or could be prevented moving
forward
minor:  build-and-run.sh/stop.sh might should make a check to see if the
assembly exists
Nothing of note in a scan of the L&N

A quick start guide on integration in registry (and/or NiFi, didn't see it
in the PR) would be great to capture.  Had anticipated seeing this in the
user/admin guide.

Verified unsecured integration as highlighted in the helper.  Actions
seemed to make sense and work well after I got the flow mapped out
mentally.