Apache NiFi Registry 0.3.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Apache NiFi Registry 0.3.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Kevin Doran-2
Hello Apache NiFi community,

Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
validating/verifying the Apache NiFi Registry release so they can vote.

# Download latest KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS

# Import keys file:
gpg --import KEYS

# [optional] Clear out local maven artifact repository

# Pull down nifi-registry-0.3.0 source release artifacts for review:

wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.3.0/nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.3.0/nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip.asc
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.3.0/nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip.sha1
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.3.0/nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip.sha256
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.3.0/nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip.sha512

# Verify the signature
gpg --verify nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip.asc

# Verify the hashes (sha1, sha256, sha512) match the source and what
was provided in the vote email thread
shasum -a 1 nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip
shasum -a 256 nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip
shasum -a 512 nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip

# Unzip nifi-registry-0.3.0-source-release.zip

# Verify the build works including release audit tool (RAT) checks
cd nifi-registry-0.2.0
mvn clean install -Pcontrib-check

# Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.

# Verify the git commit ID is correct

# Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID

# Look at the resulting convenience binary as found in
nifi-registry-assembly/target

# Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct

# Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected

# Test integration between the Registry and NiFi

Start the registry

    ./bin/nifi-registry.sh start

Create a bucket in the registry

    - Go to the registry UI at http://localhost:18080/nifi-registry
    - Click the tool icon in the top right corner
    - Click New Bucket from the bucket table
    - Enter a name and click create

Start NiFi

Tell NiFi about your local registry instance

    - Go the controller settings for NiFi from the top-right menu
    - Select the Registry Clients tab
    - Add a new Registry Client giving it a name and the url of
http://localhost:18080

Create a process group and place it under version control

    - Right click on the PG and select the Version menu
    - Select Start Version Control
    - Choose the registry instance and bucket you want to use
    - Enter a name, description, and comment

the versioned flow you just saved

Import a new PG from a versioned flow

    - Drag on a new PG like normal
    - Instead of entering a name, click the Import link
    - Now choose the flow you saved before

You should have a second identical PG now.

# Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
your findings.

Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi Registry 0.3.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Jeremy Dyer
+1 binding

Validated hashes, build, sample run to create bucket and save flow,
validated eventing filter, and REGISTRY_START event presence.

Comment: Small typo in release guide stating nifi-registry-0.2.0 instead of
nifi-registry-0.3.0 just be aware if copying and pasting commands. No big
deal.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 10:13 AM Kevin Doran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>     - Select the Registry Clients tab
>     - Add a new Registry Client giving it a name and the url of
> http://localhost:18080
>
> Create a process group and place it under version control
>
>     - Right click on the PG and select the Version menu
>     - Select Start Version Control
>     - Choose the registry instance and bucket you want to use
>     - Enter a name, description, and comment

> the versioned flow you just saved
>
> Import a new PG from a versioned flow
>
>     - Drag on a new PG like normal
>     - Instead of entering a name, click the Import link
>     - Now choose the flow you saved before
>
> You should have a second identical PG now.
>
> # Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
> your findings.
>
> Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi Registry 0.3.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Joe Witt
this is just the helper thread jeremy.  youll want to resend on vote thread

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018, 11:23 AM Jeremy Dyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >     - Select the Registry Clients tab
> >     - Add a new Registry Client giving it a name and the url of
> > http://localhost:18080
> >
> > Create a process group and place it under version control
> >
> >     - Right click on the PG and select the Version menu
> >     - Select Start Version Control
> >     - Choose the registry instance and bucket you want to use
> >     - Enter a name, description, and comment

> > the versioned flow you just saved
> >
> > Import a new PG from a versioned flow
> >
> >     - Drag on a new PG like normal
> >     - Instead of entering a name, click the Import link
> >     - Now choose the flow you saved before
> >
> > You should have a second identical PG now.
> >
> > # Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on
> > your findings.
> >
> > Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi Registry 0.3.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

The sad part is I noticed that when making the draft and forgot to change
it in that brief 5 minute window =) I'll send it to the appropriate vote
thread now