Contributor Guide

Aldrin Piri
All,

In an effort to facilitate those interested in contributing and as a means
of having a set of community guidelines/standards I have created an initial
contribution guide on our newly received Confluence Wiki [1].

This is in partial fulfillment of NIFI-359.  Please feel free to contribute
and discuss.

One of the big areas I was not quite sure of the particulars was the Patch
submission/verification process Sean Busbey started [2].  Insights into
that process would be great to get captured so that contributors can
understand how that process will work.

Thanks and looking forward to additional input.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide#ContributorGuide-SupplyingacontributionthroughpatchandJIRAissue

Re: Contributor Guide

Bryan Bende
Aldrin,

This is awesome to help people contribute.

One thing I would consider adding, possibly under the "Commit Your Changes"
section, or maybe a new section, is some discussion about keeping your
branch up to date while working on your contribution. If you are working a
long running change you will probably want to periodically update your
branch, or at least update it at the very end before submitting the
patch/PR.

I'm not sure if everyone settled on the debate about multiple commits vs.
one commit per patch/PR, but from following that discussion I started using
"git fetch upstream" and then "git rebase upstream/develop", as opposed to
"git merge upstream/develop" which adds all the merge commits. I know this
is basically just Git stuff, but it was definitely something I hadn't
thought about before until everyone discussed it.

Minor point - under "Clone a copy of the repository", the GitHub url is
pointing to Apache Git.

-Bryan

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> In an effort to facilitate those interested in contributing and as a means
> of having a set of community guidelines/standards I have created an initial
> contribution guide on our newly received Confluence Wiki [1].
>
> This is in partial fulfillment of NIFI-359.  Please feel free to contribute
> and discuss.
>
> One of the big areas I was not quite sure of the particulars was the Patch
> submission/verification process Sean Busbey started [2].  Insights into
> that process would be great to get captured so that contributors can
> understand how that process will work.
>
> Thanks and looking forward to additional input.
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide
> [2]
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide#ContributorGuide-SupplyingacontributionthroughpatchandJIRAissue

Re: Contributor Guide

Aldrin Piri
Bryan,

Excellent points for expansion.  Will definitely want to work them in.

To your last point, I believe I saw Dan already updated that, so the Wiki
approach is already paying dividends!

Thanks for the feedback.