Custom Nar Question

Bryan Bende
Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a Maven project for a custom nar and from looking at
the other nars I created something like the following:

1) parent project with a pom that has two modules

2) a jar project where the main code lives, the pom for this project has a
parent of the pom referenced in #1

3) a nar project that has a dependency on #2 and a parent of:
 <parent>
        <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
        <artifactId>nar-bundle-parent</artifactId>
        <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </parent>

Now all three of my poms had a version of 0.1-SNAPSHOT by default, so my
nar project had something like this:

<artifactId>example-nar</artifactId>
<version>0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
<packaging>nar</packaging>

When I ran mvn clean install from the root, the jar built fine, and when it
hit the nar project it failed with this:

The following artifacts could not be resolved:
org.apache.nifi:nifi-api:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT,
org.apache.nifi:nifi-processor-utils:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT

For some reason it used the version of my nar to look for the Nifi
artifacts, even though the dependencies I had declared in the jar project
were:

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
            <artifactId>nifi-api</artifactId>
            <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
            <artifactId>nifi-processor-utils</artifactId>
            <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>

Then I changed the version in my nar pom from 0.1-SNAPSHOT to
0.0.1-SNAPSHOT and the build works fine and I'm able to deploy the nar no
problem.

Is this the expected behavior, or did I set these projects up wrong?

Thanks,

Bryan

Re: Custom Nar Question

Joe Witt
Bryan,

I'll try to replicate.  To be clear when you ran from the 'root' did you
mean the root of your stuff?

Also can you tell me if you are building nifi itself from the develop
branch?

I did have some squirrely config in there a couple weeks ago.  Just want to
get a sense of where you're at in the codebase.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to setup a Maven project for a custom nar and from looking at
> the other nars I created something like the following:
>
> 1) parent project with a pom that has two modules
>
> 2) a jar project where the main code lives, the pom for this project has a
> parent of the pom referenced in #1
>
> 3) a nar project that has a dependency on #2 and a parent of:
>  <parent>
>         <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>         <artifactId>nar-bundle-parent</artifactId>
>         <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>     </parent>
>
> Now all three of my poms had a version of 0.1-SNAPSHOT by default, so my
> nar project had something like this:
>
> <artifactId>example-nar</artifactId>
> <version>0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
> <packaging>nar</packaging>
>
> When I ran mvn clean install from the root, the jar built fine, and when it
> hit the nar project it failed with this:
>
> The following artifacts could not be resolved:
> org.apache.nifi:nifi-api:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT,
> org.apache.nifi:nifi-processor-utils:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT
>
> For some reason it used the version of my nar to look for the Nifi
> artifacts, even though the dependencies I had declared in the jar project
> were:
>
> <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>             <artifactId>nifi-api</artifactId>
>             <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>             <scope>compile</scope>
>         </dependency>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>             <artifactId>nifi-processor-utils</artifactId>
>             <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>             <scope>compile</scope>
>         </dependency>
>
> Then I changed the version in my nar pom from 0.1-SNAPSHOT to
> 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT and the build works fine and I'm able to deploy the nar no
> problem.
>
> Is this the expected behavior, or did I set these projects up wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan

Re: Custom Nar Question

Joe Witt
Bryan

You can ignore the questions.  It is easily replicated...  Looking into it.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bryan,
>
> I'll try to replicate.  To be clear when you ran from the 'root' did you
> mean the root of your stuff?
>
> Also can you tell me if you are building nifi itself from the develop
> branch?
>
> I did have some squirrely config in there a couple weeks ago.  Just want
> to get a sense of where you're at in the codebase.

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup a Maven project for a custom nar and from looking at
>> the other nars I created something like the following:
>>
>> 1) parent project with a pom that has two modules
>>
>> 2) a jar project where the main code lives, the pom for this project has a
>> parent of the pom referenced in #1
>>
>> 3) a nar project that has a dependency on #2 and a parent of:
>>  <parent>
>>         <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>         <artifactId>nar-bundle-parent</artifactId>
>>         <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>     </parent>
>>
>> Now all three of my poms had a version of 0.1-SNAPSHOT by default, so my
>> nar project had something like this:
>>
>> <artifactId>example-nar</artifactId>
>> <version>0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>> <packaging>nar</packaging>
>>
>> When I ran mvn clean install from the root, the jar built fine, and when
>> it
>> hit the nar project it failed with this:
>>
>> The following artifacts could not be resolved:
>> org.apache.nifi:nifi-api:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT,
>> org.apache.nifi:nifi-processor-utils:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT
>>
>> For some reason it used the version of my nar to look for the Nifi
>> artifacts, even though the dependencies I had declared in the jar project
>> were:
>>
>> <dependency>
>>             <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>             <artifactId>nifi-api</artifactId>
>>             <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>             <scope>compile</scope>
>>         </dependency>
>>         <dependency>
>>             <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>             <artifactId>nifi-processor-utils</artifactId>
>>             <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>             <scope>compile</scope>
>>         </dependency>
>>
>> Then I changed the version in my nar pom from 0.1-SNAPSHOT to
>> 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT and the build works fine and I'm able to deploy the nar no
>> problem.
>>
>> Is this the expected behavior, or did I set these projects up wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bryan

Re: Custom Nar Question

Joe Witt
Bryan

Sorry for the trouble but you should be good to go now.

Pull down the develop branch again please and build all.  Then you should
be free to give your extension bundles whatever version scheme you want.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 12:16 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bryan
>
> You can ignore the questions.  It is easily replicated...  Looking into it.

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Bryan,
>>
>> I'll try to replicate.  To be clear when you ran from the 'root' did you
>> mean the root of your stuff?
>>
>> Also can you tell me if you are building nifi itself from the develop
>> branch?
>>
>> I did have some squirrely config in there a couple weeks ago.  Just want
>> to get a sense of where you're at in the codebase.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to setup a Maven project for a custom nar and from looking at
>>> the other nars I created something like the following:
>>>
>>> 1) parent project with a pom that has two modules
>>>
>>> 2) a jar project where the main code lives, the pom for this project has
>>> parent of the pom referenced in #1
>>>
>>> 3) a nar project that has a dependency on #2 and a parent of:
>>>  <parent>
>>>         <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>>         <artifactId>nar-bundle-parent</artifactId>
>>>         <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>>     </parent>
>>>
>>> Now all three of my poms had a version of 0.1-SNAPSHOT by default, so my
>>> nar project had something like this:
>>>
>>> <artifactId>example-nar</artifactId>
>>> <version>0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>> <packaging>nar</packaging>
>>>
>>> When I ran mvn clean install from the root, the jar built fine, and when
>>> it
>>> hit the nar project it failed with this:
>>>
>>> The following artifacts could not be resolved:
>>> org.apache.nifi:nifi-api:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT,
>>> org.apache.nifi:nifi-processor-utils:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT
>>>
>>> For some reason it used the version of my nar to look for the Nifi
>>> artifacts, even though the dependencies I had declared in the jar project
>>> were:
>>>
>>> <dependency>
>>>             <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>>             <artifactId>nifi-api</artifactId>
>>>             <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>>             <scope>compile</scope>
>>>         </dependency>
>>>         <dependency>
>>>             <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>>             <artifactId>nifi-processor-utils</artifactId>
>>>             <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>>             <scope>compile</scope>
>>>         </dependency>
>>>
>>> Then I changed the version in my nar pom from 0.1-SNAPSHOT to
>>> 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT and the build works fine and I'm able to deploy the nar no
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Is this the expected behavior, or did I set these projects up wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bryan

Re: Custom Nar Question

Bryan Bende
Thanks Joe. I pulled down the latest develop branch and rebuilt, and it is
working with my own version now.

Thanks for the quick response.

-Bryan