[DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

[DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Joe Witt
Hello

I *believe* we're finally ready to do a release.  The first thing we must
get released is the nar-maven-plugin.  This is because we need to depend on
this for the full build.  This is an artifact which should hopefully be
released very rarely.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of pushing the tag for 0.0.1 to git/origin
which immediately got to github.  So whatever...moving on to 0.0.2.

I plan to soon send out the e-mail found in the body of the release guide
here:

http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/development/release-guide.html

Please review the release guide and see if it seems reasonable.  Please
feel free to make changes directly.  I know the formatting isn't awesome
but I'm done wrestling with markdown for now.

Specifically please pay attention to the draft PPMC [VOTE] block in the
release guide.  I'll be sending exactly that so perhaps before i send out a
bad vote we can iterate on that to practice.

We need PPMC members to attempt to pull the source artifact down, validate
hashes, signatures, build from the sources, ensure all looks good.  So
please give it a shot and let's discuss.  Then I'll send out a vote
e-mail.  To the rest of the community please do feel free to give it a shot
and provide feedback as well.

We do need to get through this first one soon so we can get to the real
deal NiFi release which is when things should start getting really fun.

Huge thanks to Benson for kicking some release obstacles out of the way and
shining a light towards where we need to be.

Thanks!

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Joe Witt
also of note github appears to have cleared out the tag/release so believe
we can go back to 0.0.1 safely.  Will wait for feedback on this thread
about what we'd send out and the status of it before redoing that.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I *believe* we're finally ready to do a release.  The first thing we must
> get released is the nar-maven-plugin.  This is because we need to depend on
> this for the full build.  This is an artifact which should hopefully be
> released very rarely.
>
> Unfortunately I made the mistake of pushing the tag for 0.0.1 to
> git/origin which immediately got to github.  So whatever...moving on to
> 0.0.2.
>
> I plan to soon send out the e-mail found in the body of the release guide
> here:
>
> http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/development/release-guide.html
>
> Please review the release guide and see if it seems reasonable.  Please
> feel free to make changes directly.  I know the formatting isn't awesome
> but I'm done wrestling with markdown for now.
>
> Specifically please pay attention to the draft PPMC [VOTE] block in the
> release guide.  I'll be sending exactly that so perhaps before i send out a
> bad vote we can iterate on that to practice.
>
> We need PPMC members to attempt to pull the source artifact down, validate
> hashes, signatures, build from the sources, ensure all looks good.  So
> please give it a shot and let's discuss.  Then I'll send out a vote
> e-mail.  To the rest of the community please do feel free to give it a shot
> and provide feedback as well.
>
> We do need to get through this first one soon so we can get to the real
> deal NiFi release which is when things should start getting really fun.
>
> Huge thanks to Benson for kicking some release obstacles out of the way
> and shining a light towards where we need to be.
>
> Thanks!

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Joe Witt
i'll send out a note shortly - going ahead and blowing this one away in
favor of a 0.0.1 release.  Will get that prepped then update the release
guide and send another note.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> also of note github appears to have cleared out the tag/release so believe
> we can go back to 0.0.1 safely.  Will wait for feedback on this thread
> about what we'd send out and the status of it before redoing that.
>

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I *believe* we're finally ready to do a release.  The first thing we must
>> get released is the nar-maven-plugin.  This is because we need to depend on
>> this for the full build.  This is an artifact which should hopefully be
>> released very rarely.
>>
>> Unfortunately I made the mistake of pushing the tag for 0.0.1 to
>> git/origin which immediately got to github.  So whatever...moving on to
>> 0.0.2.
>>
>> I plan to soon send out the e-mail found in the body of the release guide
>> here:
>>
>> http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/development/release-guide.html
>>
>> Please review the release guide and see if it seems reasonable.  Please
>> feel free to make changes directly.  I know the formatting isn't awesome
>> but I'm done wrestling with markdown for now.
>>
>> Specifically please pay attention to the draft PPMC [VOTE] block in the
>> release guide.  I'll be sending exactly that so perhaps before i send out a
>> bad vote we can iterate on that to practice.
>>
>> We need PPMC members to attempt to pull the source artifact down,
>> validate hashes, signatures, build from the sources, ensure all looks
>> good.  So please give it a shot and let's discuss.  Then I'll send out a
>> vote e-mail.  To the rest of the community please do feel free to give it a
>> shot and provide feedback as well.
>>
>> We do need to get through this first one soon so we can get to the real
>> deal NiFi release which is when things should start getting really fun.
>>
>> Huge thanks to Benson for kicking some release obstacles out of the way
>> and shining a light towards where we need to be.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Joe Witt
Ok - have switched it to 0.0.1 and updated the release guide.  It is both
our release guide to evaluate and contains our first intended vote item.

Please review.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i'll send out a note shortly - going ahead and blowing this one away in
> favor of a 0.0.1 release.  Will get that prepped then update the release
> guide and send another note.
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> also of note github appears to have cleared out the tag/release so
>> believe we can go back to 0.0.1 safely.  Will wait for feedback on this
>> thread about what we'd send out and the status of it before redoing that.
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I *believe* we're finally ready to do a release.  The first thing we
>>> must get released is the nar-maven-plugin.  This is because we need to
>>> depend on this for the full build.  This is an artifact which should
>>> hopefully be released very rarely.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I made the mistake of pushing the tag for 0.0.1 to
>>> git/origin which immediately got to github.  So whatever...moving on to
>>> 0.0.2.
>>>
>>> I plan to soon send out the e-mail found in the body of the release
>>> guide here:
>>>
>>> http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/development/release-guide.html
>>>
>>> Please review the release guide and see if it seems reasonable.  Please
>>> feel free to make changes directly.  I know the formatting isn't awesome
>>> but I'm done wrestling with markdown for now.
>>>
>>> Specifically please pay attention to the draft PPMC [VOTE] block in the
>>> release guide.  I'll be sending exactly that so perhaps before i send out a
>>> bad vote we can iterate on that to practice.
>>>
>>> We need PPMC members to attempt to pull the source artifact down,
>>> validate hashes, signatures, build from the sources, ensure all looks
>>> good.  So please give it a shot and let's discuss.  Then I'll send out a
>>> vote e-mail.  To the rest of the community please do feel free to give it a
>>> shot and provide feedback as well.
>>>
>>> We do need to get through this first one soon so we can get to the real
>>> deal NiFi release which is when things should start getting really fun.
>>>
>>> Huge thanks to Benson for kicking some release obstacles out of the way
>>> and shining a light towards where we need to be.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Joe Witt
All,

In light of the fact that the first two people to reach out to me on this
have said they don't know how to validate a release i've updated the
release guide with a section titled:

"What to validate and how to validate a release"

The formatting is truly awful so sorry for that.  But hopefully it provides
some assistance.

Then there is the actual truth...I'm not sure this stuff is accurate.  So
appreciate any feedback on that.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok - have switched it to 0.0.1 and updated the release guide.  It is both
> our release guide to evaluate and contains our first intended vote item.
>
> Please review.

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i'll send out a note shortly - going ahead and blowing this one away in
>> favor of a 0.0.1 release.  Will get that prepped then update the release
>> guide and send another note.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> also of note github appears to have cleared out the tag/release so
>>> believe we can go back to 0.0.1 safely.  Will wait for feedback on this
>>> thread about what we'd send out and the status of it before redoing that.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Josh Elser
+1

You covered all of the ones that I can think of off the top of my head!

Joe Witt wrote:

> All,
>
> In light of the fact that the first two people to reach out to me on this
> have said they don't know how to validate a release i've updated the
> release guide with a section titled:
>
> "What to validate and how to validate a release"
>
> The formatting is truly awful so sorry for that.  But hopefully it provides
> some assistance.
>
> Then there is the actual truth...I'm not sure this stuff is accurate.  So
> appreciate any feedback on that.

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Joe Witt<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Ok - have switched it to 0.0.1 and updated the release guide.  It is both
>> our release guide to evaluate and contains our first intended vote item.
>>
>> Please review.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Joe Witt<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> i'll send out a note shortly - going ahead and blowing this one away in
>>> favor of a 0.0.1 release.  Will get that prepped then update the release
>>> guide and send another note.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Benson Margulies
I made some tiny adjustments.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> You covered all of the ones that I can think of off the top of my head!
>

> Joe Witt wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> In light of the fact that the first two people to reach out to me on this
>> have said they don't know how to validate a release i've updated the
>> release guide with a section titled:
>>
>> "What to validate and how to validate a release"
>>
>> The formatting is truly awful so sorry for that.  But hopefully it
>> provides
>> some assistance.
>>
>> Then there is the actual truth...I'm not sure this stuff is accurate.  So
>> appreciate any feedback on that.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Joe Witt<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Ok - have switched it to 0.0.1 and updated the release guide.  It is both
>>> our release guide to evaluate and contains our first intended vote item.
>>>
>>> Please review.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of apache nifi nar-maven-plugin-0.0.2-incubating

Matt Gilman
+1 Everything looks good