[DRAFT REPORT] Apache NiFi - April 2017

Joe Witt
Team,

Please review this draft report I plan to submit to the board very
soon.  If you have feedback, things to add, etc.. please let me know.

Thanks all!

++++

 - Apache NiFi is an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to
process and distribute data.
 - Apache MiNiFi, a child project of Apache NiFi, is an edge data
collection agent built to seamlessly integrate with and leverage the
command and control of NiFi. There are both Java and C++
implementations.
- Apache NiFi Registry, a child project of Apache NiFi, is a centralized
registry for key configuration items including flow versions, assets,
and extensions for Apache NiFi and Apache MiNiFi.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
 - Apache NiFi 1.1.2 was released on February 24, 2017.
 - Apache NiFi 0.7.2 was released on February 24, 2017.
 - We have launched a security@nifi alias and security procedure webpage.
 Have reported several CVEs and conducted releases to address the findings.
 - We have launched a new subproject called Apache NiFi Registry.

## Health report:
 - The state of the community appears rather strong.  We're seeing consistently
 high activity on mailing lists, contributions of code and review feedback, and
 are trending again toward a very significant release.  We're seeing signs of
 maturity for the project as well with a formalized security reporting and
 handling process.
 - We are closing in on a significant release of Apache NiFi and both the
 Apache MiNiFi CPP and Java implementations.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 19 PMC members.
 - New PMC members:
    - James Wing was added to the PMC on Mon Feb 20 2017
    - Oleg Zhurakousky was added to the PMC on Mon Apr 03 2017

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 32 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Ben Qiu was added as a committer on Tue Apr 04 2017
    - Jeff Storck was added as a committer on Sat Feb 18 2017

## Releases:

 - nifi-0.7.2 was released on Fri Feb 24 2017
 - nifi-1.1.2 was released on Fri Feb 24 2017

## Mailing list activity:

 - We continue to see steady growth in the number of participants on our
 developer and user mailing lists as well as increased collaboration between
 new community members.  We're also seeing strong interactions on other sites
 such as Twitter and StackOverflow.

 - [hidden email]:

 - [hidden email]:

 - [hidden email]:

## JIRA activity:

Re: [DRAFT REPORT] Apache NiFi - April 2017

John Schmotzer
Joe,

Looks solid, knock em dead!

John

On Apr 10, 2017 9:34 AM, "Joe Witt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  developer and user mailing lists as well as increased collaboration
> between
>  new community members.  We're also seeing strong interactions on other
> sites
>  such as Twitter and StackOverflow.
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 473 subscribers (up 40 in the last 3 months):
>     - 972 emails sent to list (790 in previous quarter)
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 343 subscribers (up 33 in the last 3 months):
>     - 1027 emails sent to list (855 in previous quarter)
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 38 subscribers (up 6 in the last 3 months):
>     - 7271 emails sent to list (6683 in previous quarter)
>

> ## JIRA activity:
>
>  - 452 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
>  - 321 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months

Re: [DRAFT REPORT] Apache NiFi - April 2017

The report looks good to me. I am happy to see the new Committers and PMC members - all are definitely worthy IMO.
The number of emails and users on the dev & users list is also exciting. Quite a lot of activity going on here!
Thank you, to all who participate on these mailing lists and help to drive the community!

> [...]
>
> - We continue to see steady growth in the number of participants on our
> developer and user mailing lists as well as increased collaboration between
> new community members.  We're also seeing strong interactions on other sites
> such as Twitter and StackOverflow.
>
> - [hidden email]:
>    - 473 subscribers (up 40 in the last 3 months):
>    - 972 emails sent to list (790 in previous quarter)
>
> - [hidden email]:
>    - 343 subscribers (up 33 in the last 3 months):
>    - 1027 emails sent to list (855 in previous quarter)
>
> - [hidden email]:
>    - 38 subscribers (up 6 in the last 3 months):
>    - 7271 emails sent to list (6683 in previous quarter)
>

> ## JIRA activity:
>
> - 452 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
> - 321 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months

Re: [DRAFT REPORT] Apache NiFi - April 2017

trkurc
Administrator
Joe,
Wasn't the 1.2.0 of the nifi-nar-maven-plugin last month? Should we report
that if so?

Tony

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  developer and user mailing lists as well as increased collaboration
> between
>  new community members.  We're also seeing strong interactions on other
> sites
>  such as Twitter and StackOverflow.
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 473 subscribers (up 40 in the last 3 months):
>     - 972 emails sent to list (790 in previous quarter)
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 343 subscribers (up 33 in the last 3 months):
>     - 1027 emails sent to list (855 in previous quarter)
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 38 subscribers (up 6 in the last 3 months):
>     - 7271 emails sent to list (6683 in previous quarter)
>

> ## JIRA activity:
>
>  - 452 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
>  - 321 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months

Re: [DRAFT REPORT] Apache NiFi - April 2017

Good call yes.

Off-list it was also flagged to fix 'Ben' to 'Bin' and use less wordy
form of "appears rather strong" to "appears strong".  Making those
adjustments now.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Tony Kurc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>  developer and user mailing lists as well as increased collaboration
>> between
>>  new community members.  We're also seeing strong interactions on other
>> sites
>>  such as Twitter and StackOverflow.
>>
>>  - [hidden email]:
>>     - 473 subscribers (up 40 in the last 3 months):
>>     - 972 emails sent to list (790 in previous quarter)
>>
>>  - [hidden email]:
>>     - 343 subscribers (up 33 in the last 3 months):
>>     - 1027 emails sent to list (855 in previous quarter)
>>
>>  - [hidden email]:
>>     - 38 subscribers (up 6 in the last 3 months):
>>     - 7271 emails sent to list (6683 in previous quarter)
>>

>> ## JIRA activity:
>>
>>  - 452 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
>>  - 321 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months

Re: [DRAFT REPORT] Apache NiFi - April 2017

Aldrin Piri
+1 with the changes noted, thanks for constructing

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>  developer and user mailing lists as well as increased collaboration
> >> between
> >>  new community members.  We're also seeing strong interactions on other
> >> sites
> >>  such as Twitter and StackOverflow.
> >>
> >>  - [hidden email]:
> >>     - 473 subscribers (up 40 in the last 3 months):
> >>     - 972 emails sent to list (790 in previous quarter)
> >>
> >>  - [hidden email]:
> >>     - 343 subscribers (up 33 in the last 3 months):
> >>     - 1027 emails sent to list (855 in previous quarter)
> >>
> >>  - [hidden email]:
> >>     - 38 subscribers (up 6 in the last 3 months):
> >>     - 7271 emails sent to list (6683 in previous quarter)
> >>

> >> ## JIRA activity:
> >>
> >>  - 452 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
> >>  - 321 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months

Re: [DRAFT REPORT] Apache NiFi - April 2017

Andre
Joe,

Thanks for doing this.

+1