Debugging UI/Web Functionality

Aldrin Piri
I sent this several hours ago and it never seemed to materialize on the dev
list nor in any of the archives, so I'm attempting a resend.

What is the prescribed approach/best method for debugging the UI?
Currently, I'm mostly interested in the actual HTML/JS client in working
against NiFi-327, but tips on how to manage this and the API services most
effectively would be appreciated.

Based on the conversation Matt had with Pavan, he mentioned
the minify-and-compress profile which is active by default.  To that end, I
aided my process through disabling that profile on the build I was looking
at via mvn with -P '!minify-and-compress'.

I've started the work on including these items as content to be added to
the developer guide, and would happily include any additional tips.

Thanks,
Aldrin

Re: Debugging UI/Web Functionality

Matt Gilman
Aldrin,

Currently, the best approach for debugging the UI would be to disable
minifying and compressing of the JS and CSS files. With that profile
disabled you can use the developer tools in your browser of choice to set
breakpoints, step through, etc. I say currently because there is a ticket
to update how this is performed [1].

To debug the actual REST API, all you would need to do is enable remote
debugging in conf/bootstrap.conf.

While it most important to document the available extensions points
(processors, reporting tasks, controller services) in the developer guide,
having these details in there would be beneficial.