Developer Guide

Mark Payne
All,

I’ve put together a first draft version of the developer guide. I uploaded the .html file to the website, but there’s nothing linking to it. Does it make more sense to add a link to the “Documentation” menu or the “Development” menu? I would think Development, but I’m curious which menu others would look at first to try to find a developer guide?

Re: Developer Guide

Ryan Blue
On 01/29/2015 12:54 PM, Mark Payne wrote:
> I’ve put together a first draft version of the developer guide. I uploaded the .html file to the website, but there’s nothing linking to it. Does it make more sense to add a link to the “Documentation” menu or the “Development” menu? I would think Development, but I’m curious which menu others would look at first to try to find a developer guide?

What about both? However the developer gets to the link, it should be
clear enough that it is for developers, so I think it's safe to put in
both places.

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer
Cloudera, Inc.

Re: Developer Guide

As suggested by Ryan here, I went ahead and pushed the developer guide to the website, with a link in the Documentation menu and the Developer menu.

Hopefully it is useful for people - feel free to let me know if anything you read isn’t clear, and I’ll try to address.

On 01/29/2015 12:54 PM, Mark Payne wrote:
> I’ve put together a first draft version of the developer guide. I uploaded the .html file to the website, but there’s nothing linking to it. Does it make more sense to add a link to the “Documentation” menu or the “Development” menu? I would think Development, but I’m curious which menu others would look at first to try to find a developer guide?

What about both? However the developer gets to the link, it should be
clear enough that it is for developers, so I think it's safe to put in
both places.

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer
Cloudera, Inc.

Re: Developer Guide

Dan Bress
Mark,
   I just looked at the documentation.  I think its really detailed and helpful to new developers.  Nice work.

   I made two tiny tweaks(fixed some broken markup, and changed a "." to a ":"), and updated the processor documentation section to reflect the new generated documentation feature.  You'll see a pull request for that shortly.

   I'd also suggest linking the Processor annotations in the upper sections, to the description of those annotations in the lower section.  You reference that processors should be using them above, without describing why.  Having a link to their meaning would clear that up.  I did not make this change, just suggesting it.

   FYI, one of the markup problems was with: `ProvenanceEventRecord`s
   It doesn't seem to like the `s at the end, so I put a space in between and now it formats a little better, meaning the monospace shows up, but there is an ugly space between the d and the s.  Not sure how to fix this 100%.  Any asciidoc gurus out there?

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

As suggested by Ryan here, I went ahead and pushed the developer guide to the website, with a link in the Documentation menu and the Developer menu.

Hopefully it is useful for people - feel free to let me know if anything you read isn’t clear, and I’ll try to address.

On 01/29/2015 12:54 PM, Mark Payne wrote:
> I’ve put together a first draft version of the developer guide. I uploaded the .html file to the website, but there’s nothing linking to it. Does it make more sense to add a link to the “Documentation” menu or the “Development” menu? I would think Development, but I’m curious which menu others would look at first to try to find a developer guide?

What about both? However the developer gets to the link, it should be
clear enough that it is for developers, so I think it's safe to put in
both places.

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer
Cloudera, Inc.

Re: Developer Guide

Dan,

Awesome. I appreciate the feedback! I’ll definitely create those links - good call. Will review / commit your pull requests (this one and the other one) tomorrow morning.

Thanks again!