Developer questions

Cerulean Blue

Hi,
        I trying to understand how Nifi is to be used in a large production environment.  Nifi has the concept of a graph where multiple processors / processor groups can be placed.  Is the idea to have all running processor on a single graph organized by processor groups?  Comparing to Informatica’s data integration tool, workflows are used to organize sessions and a session is an instance of a mapping and a mapping has one or more sources, targets and transformations.  From a user interface perspective, the Nifi graph is similar to Informatica’s workflow.  Informatica also has the concept of a project folder which is used to organize workflows, mappings, etc…

Also, what is the process for making updates to a template?

Thanks for your help.

-cb

Re: Developer questions

Mark Payne
cb,

That is correct - in NiFi you can organize many different flows into a single graph. Ideally, if those flows are completely disparate
and do not need to interact with one another, those flows can be organized into separate process groups, but they don't have to be.

A template is created to represent a sub-flow on your graph. It can then be exported and shared with others, but it cannot be updated.
It should be thought of more as a "snapshot" of part of the flow. You are free to later create a new template and delete the old version,
but there's no way to really update the template once it is created.

> On Sep 17, 2015, at 7:50 PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi,
> I trying to understand how Nifi is to be used in a large production environment.  Nifi has the concept of a graph where multiple processors / processor groups can be placed.  Is the idea to have all running processor on a single graph organized by processor groups?  Comparing to Informatica’s data integration tool, workflows are used to organize sessions and a session is an instance of a mapping and a mapping has one or more sources, targets and transformations.  From a user interface perspective, the Nifi graph is similar to Informatica’s workflow.  Informatica also has the concept of a project folder which is used to organize workflows, mappings, etc…
>
> Also, what is the process for making updates to a template?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -cb

RE: Developer questions

Rick Braddy
Can templates be deleted after being created or are they permanent for some reason?

That is correct - in NiFi you can organize many different flows into a single graph. Ideally, if those flows are completely disparate and do not need to interact with one another, those flows can be organized into separate process groups, but they don't have to be.

A template is created to represent a sub-flow on your graph. It can then be exported and shared with others, but it cannot be updated.
It should be thought of more as a "snapshot" of part of the flow. You are free to later create a new template and delete the old version, but there's no way to really update the template once it is created.

> On Sep 17, 2015, at 7:50 PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi,
> I trying to understand how Nifi is to be used in a large production environment.  Nifi has the concept of a graph where multiple processors / processor groups can be placed.  Is the idea to have all running processor on a single graph organized by processor groups?  Comparing to Informatica’s data integration tool, workflows are used to organize sessions and a session is an instance of a mapping and a mapping has one or more sources, targets and transformations.  From a user interface perspective, the Nifi graph is similar to Informatica’s workflow.  Informatica also has the concept of a project folder which is used to organize workflows, mappings, etc…
>
> Also, what is the process for making updates to a template?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -cb

Re: Developer questions

Mark Payne
Rick,

Templates can certainly be deleted. In the top-right-hand side of the NiFi screen is a Template icon. Clicking that icon allows you to manage
the templates. When you click that icon, you can see the different templates in a table. From there, you can click the Export/Download Icon,
or the Delete icon.

Let us know if you have issues.

> On Sep 17, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Rick Braddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can templates be deleted after being created or are they permanent for some reason?

RE: Developer questions

Rick Braddy
Perfect.  Thanks Mark.