Difference between metrics.json and widgets.json for Ambari Service.

Difference between metrics.json and widgets.json for Ambari Service.

shweta
Hi All,

I can see that sample metrics.json has couple of attributes for GC.
 "metrics/jvm/gc/runs/$1": {
              "metric": "jvm.gc.runs.(\\w+)",
              "pointInTime": true,
              "temporal": true
            },
            "metrics/jvm/gc/time/$1": {
              "metric": "jvm.gc.time.(\\w+)",
              "pointInTime": true,
              "temporal": true
            }

However widget.json does not have anything for information regarding gathering GC parameters. I would like to gather GC metrics also. When I see on Ambari I cannot get a widget for same probably for same reason.
Is there any specific reason why GC params are not included in widget.json as given in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Ambari+Metrics.

Thanks,
Shweta

Re: Difference between metrics.json and widgets.json for Ambari Service.

Bryan Bende
Shweta,

The GC metrics are sent over with the name of the garbage collector in the
metric name. In metrics.json it allows defining metrics with a wildcard,
but you can't define widgets without knowing the metric name ahead of time.
Currently it is a limitation of Ambari and you can't get the GC metrics
displayed with the example provided.

-Bryan