Documentation

Aldrin Piri
I am looking at tackling documentation issues and found the current split
of everything to be redundant and a bit scattered at points.  For the sake
of illustration, consider the menu categories on the home page
Documentation, Community, and Development.

What I propose is a cleaner delineation between subjects.  Some of this is
mere semantics and consistency, but I think helps to give a clearer picture.

High level, I think our guides should be more tailored toward the community
and contributions.

Accordingly, I think the NiFi Developer's guide needs to be viewed more as
a manual.  A minor distinction, but I see this provided to users who may
extend the software without necessarily contributing back.

How does this manifest itself?  Mostly just some reshuffling.

* Documentation
This largely remains the same, but the Developer Guide's segments
pertaining to contribution should be moved out.  Let the Developer Guide
focus on the core technical matters.  In its current form, the contributor
items feel out of place.

* Community
We've had some great contributions between blog posts and videos, but there
is no way to showcase these short of searching across social media.  I
would advocate for a page that highlights these items.

* Development
The new home for the contributor's guide for development and additional
guides as needed, such as documentation.

Re: Documentation

Jennifer Barnabee
+1 on your reshuffling proposals.

The documentation currently on the site is not up-to-date. I have to admit
that I don't know how to post up the most recent docs myself. Are there
instructions somewhere?

-Jenn

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am looking at tackling documentation issues and found the current split
> of everything to be redundant and a bit scattered at points.  For the sake
> of illustration, consider the menu categories on the home page
> Documentation, Community, and Development.
>
> What I propose is a cleaner delineation between subjects.  Some of this is
> mere semantics and consistency, but I think helps to give a clearer
> picture.
>
> High level, I think our guides should be more tailored toward the community
> and contributions.
>
> Accordingly, I think the NiFi Developer's guide needs to be viewed more as
> a manual.  A minor distinction, but I see this provided to users who may
> extend the software without necessarily contributing back.
>
> How does this manifest itself?  Mostly just some reshuffling.
>
> * Documentation
> This largely remains the same, but the Developer Guide's segments
> pertaining to contribution should be moved out.  Let the Developer Guide
> focus on the core technical matters.  In its current form, the contributor
> items feel out of place.
>
> * Community
> We've had some great contributions between blog posts and videos, but there
> is no way to showcase these short of searching across social media.  I
> would advocate for a page that highlights these items.
>
> * Development
> The new home for the contributor's guide for development and additional
> guides as needed, such as documentation.

Re: Documentation

Matt Gilman
Aldrin,

Just a heads up if you didn't see the other email thread but I have been I touch with INFRA so we should be able to transition to the updated site soon. I will send out another note as we progress.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 28, 2015, at 8:14 AM, Jennifer Barnabee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 on your reshuffling proposals.
>
> The documentation currently on the site is not up-to-date. I have to admit
> that I don't know how to post up the most recent docs myself. Are there
> instructions somewhere?
>
> -Jenn
>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am looking at tackling documentation issues and found the current split
>> of everything to be redundant and a bit scattered at points.  For the sake
>> of illustration, consider the menu categories on the home page
>> Documentation, Community, and Development.
>>
>> What I propose is a cleaner delineation between subjects.  Some of this is
>> mere semantics and consistency, but I think helps to give a clearer
>> picture.
>>
>> High level, I think our guides should be more tailored toward the community
>> and contributions.
>>
>> Accordingly, I think the NiFi Developer's guide needs to be viewed more as
>> a manual.  A minor distinction, but I see this provided to users who may
>> extend the software without necessarily contributing back.
>>
>> How does this manifest itself?  Mostly just some reshuffling.
>>
>> * Documentation
>> This largely remains the same, but the Developer Guide's segments
>> pertaining to contribution should be moved out.  Let the Developer Guide
>> focus on the core technical matters.  In its current form, the contributor
>> items feel out of place.
>>
>> * Community
>> We've had some great contributions between blog posts and videos, but there
>> is no way to showcase these short of searching across social media.  I
>> would advocate for a page that highlights these items.
>>
>> * Development
>> The new home for the contributor's guide for development and additional
>> guides as needed, such as documentation.

Re: Documentation

Aldrin Piri
Yep, saw that and the plan for that sounds good.

Jenn, are all the up-to-date docs a part of develop or are you aware of any
additional items outstanding beyond NIFI-422?  Looking through tickets
under the documentation component,  I saw you provided a patch there and
the ticket remains open.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Aldrin,
>
> Just a heads up if you didn't see the other email thread but I have been I
> touch with INFRA so we should be able to transition to the updated site
> soon. I will send out another note as we progress.
>
> Matt
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Mar 28, 2015, at 8:14 AM, Jennifer Barnabee <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 on your reshuffling proposals.
> >
> > The documentation currently on the site is not up-to-date. I have to
> admit
> > that I don't know how to post up the most recent docs myself. Are there
> > instructions somewhere?
> >
> > -Jenn
> >
> >> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am looking at tackling documentation issues and found the current
> split
> >> of everything to be redundant and a bit scattered at points.  For the
> sake
> >> of illustration, consider the menu categories on the home page
> >> Documentation, Community, and Development.
> >>
> >> What I propose is a cleaner delineation between subjects.  Some of this
> is
> >> mere semantics and consistency, but I think helps to give a clearer
> >> picture.
> >>
> >> High level, I think our guides should be more tailored toward the
> community
> >> and contributions.
> >>
> >> Accordingly, I think the NiFi Developer's guide needs to be viewed more
> as
> >> a manual.  A minor distinction, but I see this provided to users who may
> >> extend the software without necessarily contributing back.
> >>
> >> How does this manifest itself?  Mostly just some reshuffling.
> >>
> >> * Documentation
> >> This largely remains the same, but the Developer Guide's segments
> >> pertaining to contribution should be moved out.  Let the Developer Guide
> >> focus on the core technical matters.  In its current form, the
> contributor
> >> items feel out of place.
> >>
> >> * Community
> >> We've had some great contributions between blog posts and videos, but
> there
> >> is no way to showcase these short of searching across social media.  I
> >> would advocate for a page that highlights these items.
> >>
> >> * Development
> >> The new home for the contributor's guide for development and additional
> >> guides as needed, such as documentation.

Re: Documentation

Jennifer Barnabee
Yes, everything up to 422 is up-to-date in develop, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone