Double-click action

Pierre Villard
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any reason why the double click action is not
used in the UI? I think this could be a nice shortcut to access
"Configure/View configuration" view from elements on the canvas. Thoughts?

Pierre

Re: Double-click action

Matt Gilman
Pierre,

Currently the double click action is used to enter a Process Group. There's been discussion in the past on this mailing about possibly using it to configure. My only hesitation there would be the inconsistency between action on the different components. Unless of course we also switch the action for entering a group. Then I start to worry about confusing the user with changing up the existing behavior too much.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Pierre Villard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is any reason why the double click action is not
> used in the UI? I think this could be a nice shortcut to access
> "Configure/View configuration" view from elements on the canvas. Thoughts?
>
> Pierre

Re: Double-click action

Pierre Villard
Yep, that's a good point and I agree we should avoid confusion with
different behaviors depending of the components.

Thanks Matt!

Pierre

> Pierre,
>
> Currently the double click action is used to enter a Process Group.
> There's been discussion in the past on this mailing about possibly using it
> to configure. My only hesitation there would be the inconsistency between
> action on the different components. Unless of course we also switch the
> action for entering a group. Then I start to worry about confusing the user
> with changing up the existing behavior too much.
>
> Matt
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Pierre Villard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if there is any reason why the double click action is not
> > used in the UI? I think this could be a nice shortcut to access
> > "Configure/View configuration" view from elements on the canvas.
> Thoughts?
> >
> > Pierre

Re: Double-click action

Matt Burgess-2
+1 for avoiding confusion or changing existing behavior, but I think a
good compromise is to leave the Configure option on both context menus
(right-click, e.g.) and add the double-click behavior to the Processor
to open the configuration dialog. In that case, the default
(double-click) option for both Processors and Process Groups is no
longer "nothing" and "Enter Group" respectively; rather it is
conceptually something like "Drill-down". For PGs drill-down is Enter
Group, for Processors you can't drill down any further than the config
dialog, so that becomes the default action for double-click.

Thoughts? Thanks,
Matt

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Pierre Villard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yep, that's a good point and I agree we should avoid confusion with
> different behaviors depending of the components.
>
> Thanks Matt!
>
> Pierre

>> Pierre,
>>
>> Currently the double click action is used to enter a Process Group.
>> There's been discussion in the past on this mailing about possibly using it
>> to configure. My only hesitation there would be the inconsistency between
>> action on the different components. Unless of course we also switch the
>> action for entering a group. Then I start to worry about confusing the user
>> with changing up the existing behavior too much.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Pierre Villard <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I was wondering if there is any reason why the double click action is not
>> > used in the UI? I think this could be a nice shortcut to access
>> > "Configure/View configuration" view from elements on the canvas.
>> Thoughts?
>> >
>> > Pierre

Re: Double-click action

McDermott, Chris Kevin (MSDU - STaTS/StorefrontRemote)
I like this, Matt.  It has often find myself double clicking to try to configure, or view configuration.  It just seems natural.

Chris McDermott

Remote Business Analytics
STaTS/StoreFront Remote
HPE Storage
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Mobile: +1 978-697-5315

    <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > Yep, that's a good point and I agree we should avoid confusion with
    > different behaviors depending of the components.
    >
    > Thanks Matt!
    >
    > Pierre

    >> Pierre,
    >>
    >> Currently the double click action is used to enter a Process Group.
    >> There's been discussion in the past on this mailing about possibly using it
    >> to configure. My only hesitation there would be the inconsistency between
    >> action on the different components. Unless of course we also switch the
    >> action for entering a group. Then I start to worry about confusing the user
    >> with changing up the existing behavior too much.
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>
    >> Sent from my iPhone
    >>
    >> > On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Pierre Villard <[hidden email]>
    >> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I was wondering if there is any reason why the double click action is not
    >> > used in the UI? I think this could be a nice shortcut to access
    >> > "Configure/View configuration" view from elements on the canvas.
    >> Thoughts?
    >> >
    >> > Pierre

Re: Double-click action

leelaim
Don't forget about connection behavior.

Double-click on a connection places a movable vertex on the connection.
Double-click on a vertex deletes it.

Very intuitive once you realize it's there.

Lee

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:21 AM, McDermott, Chris Kevin (MSDU - STaTS/StorefrontRemote) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I like this, Matt.  It has often find myself double clicking to try to configure, or view configuration.  It just seems natural.
>

> Chris McDermott
>
> Remote Business Analytics
> STaTS/StoreFront Remote
> HPE Storage
> Hewlett Packard Enterprise
> Mobile: +1 978-697-5315
>

> On 10/24/16, 9:50 AM, "Matt Burgess" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    +1 for avoiding confusion or changing existing behavior, but I think a
>    good compromise is to leave the Configure option on both context menus
>    (right-click, e.g.) and add the double-click behavior to the Processor
>    to open the configuration dialog. In that case, the default
>    (double-click) option for both Processors and Process Groups is no
>    longer "nothing" and "Enter Group" respectively; rather it is
>    conceptually something like "Drill-down". For PGs drill-down is Enter
>    Group, for Processors you can't drill down any further than the config
>    dialog, so that becomes the default action for double-click.
>
>    Thoughts? Thanks,
>    Matt
>
>    On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Pierre Villard
>    <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yep, that's a good point and I agree we should avoid confusion with
>> different behaviors depending of the components.
>>
>> Thanks Matt!
>>
>> Pierre

>>> Pierre,
>>>
>>> Currently the double click action is used to enter a Process Group.
>>> There's been discussion in the past on this mailing about possibly using it
>>> to configure. My only hesitation there would be the inconsistency between
>>> action on the different components. Unless of course we also switch the
>>> action for entering a group. Then I start to worry about confusing the user
>>> with changing up the existing behavior too much.
>>>
>>> Matt
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Thoughts?

Re: Double-click action

Matt Gilman
Certainly not the first time this has been brought up... in fact, there's
already a JIRA for it [1]. Use of double click on the connection is a great
counter point for consistency between the components.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Lee Laim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't forget about connection behavior.
>
> Double-click on a connection places a movable vertex on the connection.
> Double-click on a vertex deletes it.
>
> Very intuitive once you realize it's there.
>
> Lee
>

> > On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:21 AM, McDermott, Chris Kevin (MSDU -
> STaTS/StorefrontRemote) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I like this, Matt.  It has often find myself double clicking to try to
> configure, or view configuration.  It just seems natural.
> >

> > Chris McDermott
> >
> > Remote Business Analytics
> > STaTS/StoreFront Remote
> > HPE Storage
> > Hewlett Packard Enterprise
> > Mobile: +1 978-697-5315
> >

> > On 10/24/16, 9:50 AM, "Matt Burgess" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >    +1 for avoiding confusion or changing existing behavior, but I think a
> >    good compromise is to leave the Configure option on both context menus
> >    (right-click, e.g.) and add the double-click behavior to the Processor
> >    to open the configuration dialog. In that case, the default
> >    (double-click) option for both Processors and Process Groups is no
> >    longer "nothing" and "Enter Group" respectively; rather it is
> >    conceptually something like "Drill-down". For PGs drill-down is Enter
> >    Group, for Processors you can't drill down any further than the config
> >    dialog, so that becomes the default action for double-click.
> >
> >    Thoughts? Thanks,
> >    Matt
> >
> >    On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Pierre Villard
> >    <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Yep, that's a good point and I agree we should avoid confusion with
> >> different behaviors depending of the components.
> >>
> >> Thanks Matt!
> >>
> >> Pierre

> using it
> between
> user

> [hidden email]>

> not

Re: Double-click action

Rob Moran
I think the logic Matt B described would make a lot of sense to experienced
users, but it is changing behavior of the action and that *could* confuse
new users.

But as Lee brought up it is already being used differently, so it very well
could be appreciated as learned behavior.

It would be nice to expose common actions (like configure) on the faces of
components so they are only a single click away. However, it would be tough
to add more to them given current layouts.

Rob

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Certainly not the first time this has been brought up... in fact, there's
> already a JIRA for it [1]. Use of double click on the connection is a great
> counter point for consistency between the components.

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Lee Laim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Don't forget about connection behavior.
> >
> > Double-click on a connection places a movable vertex on the connection.
> > Double-click on a vertex deletes it.
> >
> > Very intuitive once you realize it's there.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> > > On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:21 AM, McDermott, Chris Kevin (MSDU -
> > STaTS/StorefrontRemote) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I like this, Matt.  It has often find myself double clicking to try to
> > configure, or view configuration.  It just seems natural.
> > >

> > > Chris McDermott
> > >
> > > Remote Business Analytics
> > > STaTS/StoreFront Remote
> > > HPE Storage
> > > Hewlett Packard Enterprise
> > > Mobile: +1 978-697-5315
> > >

> > > On 10/24/16, 9:50 AM, "Matt Burgess" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > >    +1 for avoiding confusion or changing existing behavior, but I
> think a
> > >    good compromise is to leave the Configure option on both context
> menus
> > >    (right-click, e.g.) and add the double-click behavior to the
> Processor
> > >    to open the configuration dialog. In that case, the default
> > >    (double-click) option for both Processors and Process Groups is no
> > >    longer "nothing" and "Enter Group" respectively; rather it is
> > >    conceptually something like "Drill-down". For PGs drill-down is
> Enter
> > >    Group, for Processors you can't drill down any further than the
> config
> > >    dialog, so that becomes the default action for double-click.
> > >
> > >    Thoughts? Thanks,
> > >    Matt

> > using it
> > between
> the
> the
> > user

> > [hidden email]>

> is
> > not

Re: Double-click action

Russell Bateman
I'm sort of a new user, but I surely second Matt's expressed view. It's
how I conceptualize it too.

(My two cents.)

Russ

On 10/24/2016 09:03 AM, Rob Moran wrote:

> I think the logic Matt B described would make a lot of sense to experienced
> users, but it is changing behavior of the action and that *could* confuse
> new users.
>
> But as Lee brought up it is already being used differently, so it very well
> could be appreciated as learned behavior.
>
> It would be nice to expose common actions (like configure) on the faces of
> components so they are only a single click away. However, it would be tough
> to add more to them given current layouts.
>
> Rob
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Certainly not the first time this has been brought up... in fact, there's
>> already a JIRA for it [1]. Use of double click on the connection is a great
>> counter point for consistency between the components.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1580
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Lee Laim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Don't forget about connection behavior.
>>>
>>> Double-click on a connection places a movable vertex on the connection.
>>> Double-click on a vertex deletes it.
>>>
>>> Very intuitive once you realize it's there.
>>>
>>> Lee

>>> configure, or view configuration.  It just seems natural.

>> think a
>> menus
>> Processor
>> Enter
>> config

>>> using it
>>> between
>> the
>> the
>>> user

>>> [hidden email]>

>> is
>>> not

Re: Double-click action

leelaim
Swapping the vertex functions to a right-click menu would promote
drill-down consistency across components.