First contribution - did I do it right?

Evan Reynolds
I had a problem with the MergeRecord processor which I tracked down to a bug, so I fixed it. I thought I'd create a ticket and submit that back up, but the ticket says it isn't visible and I am not sure if I did something wrong or if that's expected until the Jira is reviewed? The contributor's guide (which is amazingly helpful!) didn't have much on that!

So I thought I'd ask - did I do this correctly? There are a few other things I'd love to track down and fix but I figured I'd get one through before looking for more!

(and the git pull request is linked in the ticket)

Thank you - and I hope it was appropriate to ask here about it!

Evan Reynolds
[hidden email]

  cid:image001.jpg@01CB64D2.4D120F10

Re: First contribution - did I do it right?

Bryan Bende
Hi Evan,

It looks correct to me. What did you mean by 'the ticket is not visible"? I was able to view the JIRA.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM Evan Reynolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had a problem with the MergeRecord processor which I tracked down to a bug, so I fixed it. I thought I'd create a ticket and submit that back up, but the ticket says it isn't visible and I am not sure if I did something wrong or if that's expected until the Jira is reviewed? The contributor's guide (which is amazingly helpful!) didn't have much on that!

So I thought I'd ask - did I do this correctly? There are a few other things I'd love to track down and fix but I figured I'd get one through before looking for more!

(and the git pull request is linked in the ticket)

Thank you - and I hope it was appropriate to ask here about it!

Evan Reynolds

Re: First contribution - did I do it right?

Evan Reynolds
Thanks for the fast reply!

When I saved the JIRA it told me the ticket wasn't visible - though today
it is, so either I guessed at the right field to fill out or else it just
took time? I'm not sure, but either way ... good! :-D

But I also wasn't sure if should I do anything to draw attention to it so
that someone knows it's ready for a code review? I don't expect a review to
happen immediately, don't get me wrong. But with a popular project with a
lot of filed tickets I didn't know how to stand out as having a proposed
code fixes ready!

Thanks again - I really appreciate it the time.

-Evan

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 2:08 PM Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Evan,
>
> It looks correct to me. What did you mean by 'the ticket is not visible"?
> I was able to view the JIRA.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan
>
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM Evan Reynolds <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I had a problem with the MergeRecord processor which I tracked down to a
>> bug, so I fixed it. I thought I'd create a ticket and submit that back up,
>> but the ticket says it isn't visible and I am not sure if I did something
>> wrong or if that's expected until the Jira is reviewed? The contributor's
>> guide (which is amazingly helpful!) didn't have much on that!
>>

>> So I thought I'd ask - did I do this correctly? There are a few other
>> things I'd love to track down and fix but I figured I'd get one through
>> before looking for more!
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-6349
>> (and the git pull request is linked in the ticket)
>>
>> Thank you - and I hope it was appropriate to ask here about it!

>> Evan Reynolds
>> [hidden email]
>>
>>   [image: cid:image001.jpg@01CB64D2.4D120F10]

Re: First contribution - did I do it right?

Otto Fowler
Any PR should be ready for review, unless someone started a [DISCUSS]
thread an put a pr not to be merged, but to illustrate an idea.

There is a mailing list for metron jira, and for metron github stuff that
people who do reviews sit on ( I assume ) and will get a notice that your
issue and PR were created.

On June 5, 2019 at 17:48:32, Evan Reynolds ([hidden email])
wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply!

When I saved the JIRA it told me the ticket wasn't visible - though today
it is, so either I guessed at the right field to fill out or else it just
took time? I'm not sure, but either way ... good! :-D

But I also wasn't sure if should I do anything to draw attention to it so
that someone knows it's ready for a code review? I don't expect a review to
happen immediately, don't get me wrong. But with a popular project with a
lot of filed tickets I didn't know how to stand out as having a proposed
code fixes ready!

Thanks again - I really appreciate it the time.

-Evan

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 2:08 PM Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Evan,
>
> It looks correct to me. What did you mean by 'the ticket is not visible"?
> I was able to view the JIRA.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan
>
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM Evan Reynolds <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I had a problem with the MergeRecord processor which I tracked down to a
>> bug, so I fixed it. I thought I'd create a ticket and submit that back
up,
>> but the ticket says it isn't visible and I am not sure if I did
something
>> wrong or if that's expected until the Jira is reviewed? The
contributor's

>> guide (which is amazingly helpful!) didn't have much on that!
>>

>> So I thought I'd ask - did I do this correctly? There are a few other
>> things I'd love to track down and fix but I figured I'd get one through
>> before looking for more!
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-6349
>> (and the git pull request is linked in the ticket)
>>
>> Thank you - and I hope it was appropriate to ask here about it!

>> Evan Reynolds
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> [image: cid:image001.jpg@01CB64D2.4D120F10]

Re: First contribution - did I do it right?

Generally opening a JIRA and submitting a PR is all there is to it. You can
also put the jira in the “patch available” state, although this was
originally used more before we used GitHub, when people actually attached
patches to JIRAs, but technically a PR is still an available patch.

Getting a reviewer can sometimes be tough... there are lots of
contributions (a good thing), but only so many reviewers, and then within
the reviewers only a few of them are probably familiar with the part of the
code being changed, so it can take some time for one of them to be free.

We appreciate anything you choose to contribute, and it’s totally fine to
submit several different pull requests, unless there is some order of
changes that needs to occur.

Hope that helps.

-Bryan

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: First contribution - did I do it right?

Evan Reynolds
Perfect - that's all I needed to know, and I figured it would be a while before someone had time to go over it. No worries!!

I might go ahead and look to see if I can figure out the other issues, then - if nothing else, it's being kind of fun! :-)

-Evan

wrote:

I had a problem with the MergeRecord processor which I tracked down to a
bug, so I fixed it. I thought I'd create a ticket and submit that back
up,
but the ticket says it isn't visible and I am not sure if I did
something
wrong or if that's expected until the Jira is reviewed? The
contributor's
guide (which is amazingly helpful!) didn't have much on that!

So I thought I'd ask - did I do this correctly? There are a few other
things I'd love to track down and fix but I figured I'd get one through
before looking for more!

(and the git pull request is linked in the ticket)

Thank you - and I hope it was appropriate to ask here about it!

Evan Reynolds
[hidden email]

  [image: [hidden email]]