Future of HDF at Hortonworks/Cloudera

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Future of HDF at Hortonworks/Cloudera

Peter Wicks (pwicks)
Normally, I wouldn’t ask a question like this on the NiFi Dev group. But I did a census and out of the top 10 committers to NiFi in the last year, 8 definitely work for Hortonworks (couldn’t figure out where MikeThomsen works). In the subsequent top 10 committers, there are at least four more working for Hortonworks (mosermw, thenatog, and markobean I couldn’t figure out).

I love that Hortonworks has put so much people power into NiFi, no other company has more than a single developer contributing code in large quantity (that I can find, large quantity being top 20 contributors list for last year). But I do worry about what would happen to the whole project if, assuming the merger goes through, Cloudera decided a change of direction was in order, or something to that affect, and the whole project was affected negatively.

Thoughts from the community (and if you aren’t legally allowed to represent your company… probably best not to respond more than your allowed 😊)?

--Peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Future of HDF at Hortonworks/Cloudera

Joe Witt
Peter

The scenario you outline is one that is possible for any community at
any time and it is what makes Apache projects unique from just 'open
source' code put on a website.  Apache projects are governed by the
policies and processes of the Apache Software Foundation and are
tasked with demonstrating and following the Apache Way.  These things
exist to help guide communities to operate in a survivable and
inclusive manner.

NiFi has grown considerably in user base, diversity of represented
contributor interests (companies), and in valuable high-impact
features.  I have no reason to believe that is changing.

Now, lets focus on why you need 32GB+ heaps :)

Thanks
Joe
On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 4:56 PM Peter Wicks (pwicks) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Normally, I wouldn’t ask a question like this on the NiFi Dev group. But I did a census and out of the top 10 committers to NiFi in the last year, 8 definitely work for Hortonworks (couldn’t figure out where MikeThomsen works). In the subsequent top 10 committers, there are at least four more working for Hortonworks (mosermw, thenatog, and markobean I couldn’t figure out).
>
> I love that Hortonworks has put so much people power into NiFi, no other company has more than a single developer contributing code in large quantity (that I can find, large quantity being top 20 contributors list for last year). But I do worry about what would happen to the whole project if, assuming the merger goes through, Cloudera decided a change of direction was in order, or something to that affect, and the whole project was affected negatively.
>
> Thoughts from the community (and if you aren’t legally allowed to represent your company… probably best not to respond more than your allowed )?
>
> --Peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Future of HDF at Hortonworks/Cloudera

Mike Thomsen
> NiFi has grown considerably in user base, diversity of represented
contributor interests (companies)

My employer is a large consulting firm, and that very much matches our
experience. I think if any of our clients asked, we'd tell them to focus on
risk mitigation with CDH vs HDP.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 5:50 PM Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter
>
> The scenario you outline is one that is possible for any community at
> any time and it is what makes Apache projects unique from just 'open
> source' code put on a website.  Apache projects are governed by the
> policies and processes of the Apache Software Foundation and are
> tasked with demonstrating and following the Apache Way.  These things
> exist to help guide communities to operate in a survivable and
> inclusive manner.
>
> NiFi has grown considerably in user base, diversity of represented
> contributor interests (companies), and in valuable high-impact
> features.  I have no reason to believe that is changing.
>
> Now, lets focus on why you need 32GB+ heaps :)
>
> Thanks
> Joe
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 4:56 PM Peter Wicks (pwicks) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Normally, I wouldn’t ask a question like this on the NiFi Dev group. But
> I did a census and out of the top 10 committers to NiFi in the last year, 8
> definitely work for Hortonworks (couldn’t figure out where MikeThomsen
> works). In the subsequent top 10 committers, there are at least four more
> working for Hortonworks (mosermw, thenatog, and markobean I couldn’t figure
> out).
> >
> > I love that Hortonworks has put so much people power into NiFi, no other
> company has more than a single developer contributing code in large
> quantity (that I can find, large quantity being top 20 contributors list
> for last year). But I do worry about what would happen to the whole project
> if, assuming the merger goes through, Cloudera decided a change of
> direction was in order, or something to that affect, and the whole project
> was affected negatively.
> >
> > Thoughts from the community (and if you aren’t legally allowed to
> represent your company… probably best not to respond more than your allowed
> )?
> >
> > --Peter
>