How to actually announce the release?

Joe Witt
Hello,

I am sorry for the TL/DR nature of this but I'd really like to not
screw this up and would like to document it well to make it easier for
others to act as the RM.

For the first release I didn't follow the step of announcing the
release.  That was largely because I didn't understand how to.

So this time I'd like to do it but I do have some questions.

1) Please confirm we should indeed send release announcements as a podling.

2) Can you explain what it means to have 'Announcments signed'?  [1] suggests
"this may mean creating a plain text signature on the machine used to
sign the release
and then transferring this".  Transferring it to what?

3) Can you confirm the addressees of the announcement:
- [hidden email]
- [hidden email]
- [hidden email]
- [REPLY-TO] [hidden email]

4) How does one send an email from an @apache.org address?

5) Here is the proposed message for this release:
SUBJECT: [ANNOUNCE] Apache NiFi 0.0.2-incubating release
BODY:

Hello

The Apache NiFi team would like to announce the release of Apache NiFi
0.0.2-incubating.

Apache NiFi is an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to
process and distribute data.  Apache NiFi was made for dataflow.  It
supports highly configurable directed graphs of data routing,
transformation, and system mediation logic.

More details on Apache NiFi can be found here:
http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/

The release artifacts can be downloaded from here:
http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/downloads/

Maven artifacts have been made available here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/nifi/

Release notes available here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12329373

Thank you
The Apache NiFi team

----
DISCLAIMER

Apache NiFi is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
Foundation (ASF), sponsored by  Apache Incubator. Incubation is
required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

+++++++

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#announcements

Re: How to actually announce the release?

Josh Elser
Joe Witt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am sorry for the TL/DR nature of this but I'd really like to not
> screw this up and would like to document it well to make it easier for
> others to act as the RM.
>
> For the first release I didn't follow the step of announcing the
> release.  That was largely because I didn't understand how to.
>
> So this time I'd like to do it but I do have some questions.
>
> 1) Please confirm we should indeed send release announcements as a podling.
>
> 2) Can you explain what it means to have 'Announcments signed'?  [1] suggests
> "this may mean creating a plain text signature on the machine used to
> sign the release
> and then transferring this".  Transferring it to what?
>
> 3) Can you confirm the addressees of the announcement:
> - [hidden email]
> - [hidden email]
> - [hidden email]
> - [REPLY-TO] [hidden email]
>
> 4) How does one send an email from an @apache.org address?

Check out https://reference.apache.org/committer/email

I have my local mail client presently set up (SMTP server) to send with
my apache.org. Previously, I think I used GMail's web interface directly.

Your message below LGTM:

> 5) Here is the proposed message for this release:
> SUBJECT: [ANNOUNCE] Apache NiFi 0.0.2-incubating release
> BODY:
>
> Hello
>
> The Apache NiFi team would like to announce the release of Apache NiFi
> 0.0.2-incubating.
>
> Apache NiFi is an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to
> process and distribute data.  Apache NiFi was made for dataflow.  It
> supports highly configurable directed graphs of data routing,
> transformation, and system mediation logic.
>
> More details on Apache NiFi can be found here:
> http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/
>
> The release artifacts can be downloaded from here:
> http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/downloads/
>
> Maven artifacts have been made available here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/nifi/
>
> Release notes available here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12329373
>
> Thank you
> The Apache NiFi team
>
> ----
> DISCLAIMER
>
> Apache NiFi is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
> Foundation (ASF), sponsored by  Apache Incubator. Incubation is
> required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
> indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
> process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
> ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
> of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
> the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.
>
> +++++++
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#announcements

Re: How to actually announce the release?

Joe Witt
Thanks Josh!  Do you know what is meant by the part about signing the
announcement?

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Thank you
>> The Apache NiFi team
>>
>> ----
>> DISCLAIMER
>>
>> Apache NiFi is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
>> Foundation (ASF), sponsored by  Apache Incubator. Incubation is
>> required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
>> indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
>> process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
>> ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
>> of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
>> the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.
>>
>> +++++++
>>
>> [1]
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#announcements

Re: How to actually announce the release?

Billie Rinaldi-2
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Josh!  Do you know what is meant by the part about signing the
> announcement?

I think it just means creating a plaintext signature (of what? perhaps of
the email contents?) and adding that to the bottom of the email message.  I
haven't seen a lot of people doing this, so if you want to skip it that's
probably fine.

> [...]
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >> The Apache NiFi team
> >>
> >> ----
> >> DISCLAIMER
> >>
> >> Apache NiFi is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
> >> Foundation (ASF), sponsored by  Apache Incubator. Incubation is
> >> required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
> >> indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
> >> process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
> >> ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
> >> of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
> >> the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.
> >>
> >> +++++++
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#announcements

Re: How to actually announce the release?

Perfect :-)  Consider it skipped.