Interested in Contributing to NiFi

Ajay Bhat
Hi,
I am interested in learning about data flow and network programming. I'd
like to contribute Java 8 code to the Nifi project codebase, preferably to
the core  framework or the configuration. Could anyone in the Nifi
community pls act as a mentor and help me with pointing out some issues I
could do as a start? I've already built from source.

Ajay Bhat
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ajayabhat

Re: Interested in Contributing to NiFi

Joe Witt
Hello Ajay

Happy to hear you'd like to contribute.

I would recommend building some NiFi extensions before working towards the
core as that is a good way to learn about the functions and
responsibilities of the core and the overall design and philosophy of the
application as a whole.  Perhaps there is an open source system you'd like
to be able to have NiFi interface with to send or receive data.  Here are a
handful of currently open tickets to consider but certainly you could add
something else you're interested in as well:

For now it is probably best to stick with Java 7 compatible code.  When
we'll shift to Java 8 will be something we'll need to talk through as a
community.  That said if that is a discussion you'd like to kick off that
is fine too.  I for one tend to lean towards pulling users towards the
newer JRE/JDK versions but others will certainly have different views on
this.

One potentially nice way to approach contributing is through pull requests
via GitHub.

Feel free to ask questions.  We owe the community a thorough developers
guide to make contributing and learning easier.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Ajay Bhat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am interested in learning about data flow and network programming. I'd
> like to contribute Java 8 code to the Nifi project codebase, preferably to
> the core  framework or the configuration. Could anyone in the Nifi
> community pls act as a mentor and help me with pointing out some issues I
> could do as a start? I've already built from source.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ajay Bhat
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/ajayabhat

Re: Interested in Contributing to NiFi

Ajay Bhat
Thanks Joe. I've opened a PR [1]. Could you review it?

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/pull/10
On Thu Jan 15 2015 at 12:30:40 PM Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Ajay
>
> Happy to hear you'd like to contribute.
>
> I would recommend building some NiFi extensions before working towards the
> core as that is a good way to learn about the functions and
> responsibilities of the core and the overall design and philosophy of the
> application as a whole.  Perhaps there is an open source system you'd like
> to be able to have NiFi interface with to send or receive data.  Here are a
> handful of currently open tickets to consider but certainly you could add
> something else you're interested in as well:

> For now it is probably best to stick with Java 7 compatible code.  When
> we'll shift to Java 8 will be something we'll need to talk through as a
> community.  That said if that is a discussion you'd like to kick off that
> is fine too.  I for one tend to lean towards pulling users towards the
> newer JRE/JDK versions but others will certainly have different views on
> this.
>
> One potentially nice way to approach contributing is through pull requests
> via GitHub.
>
> Feel free to ask questions.  We owe the community a thorough developers
> guide to make contributing and learning easier.

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Ajay Bhat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am interested in learning about data flow and network programming. I'd
> > like to contribute Java 8 code to the Nifi project codebase, preferably
> > the core  framework or the configuration. Could anyone in the Nifi
> > community pls act as a mentor and help me with pointing out some issues I
> > could do as a start? I've already built from source.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Ajay Bhat
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/ajayabhat

Re: Interested in Contributing to NiFi

Joe Witt
Thanks Ajay.  Will do and will comment back on the ticket/contrib.