Is it time for a user list?

Aldrin Piri
Presentations provided by both Joe Witt and Joey Echeverria sparked
interest in NiFi.  To that end, a lot of the dialog occurring was less
specifically development focused and more on how to use NiFi, explaining
scope of the project, and how to integrate with existing data flow,
inclusive of suggestions on ideas for data formats and sources/destinations
for data.

For the sake of separation, does it make sense to now introduce a users
list in conjunction with the dev list to facilitate the separation of
channels of information?  Not sure what kind of lead time is needed for
infra (assuming this is in fact done through them), so even if this is a
bit on the early side, it may coincide with a juncture when a legitimate
need is there.

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
Aldrin,

I agree and a few others have brought it up as well.  There haven't
been any objections that I am aware of so will send in the INFRA
ticket shortly.

Also for everyone's awareness i started a meetup for folks in the DC,
MD, VA area.  Our first event is here:
http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

We hope to see folks there.  We've had two companies offer their space
on a recurring basis both of which are in the Columbia, MD area.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Presentations provided by both Joe Witt and Joey Echeverria sparked
> interest in NiFi.  To that end, a lot of the dialog occurring was less
> specifically development focused and more on how to use NiFi, explaining
> scope of the project, and how to integrate with existing data flow,
> inclusive of suggestions on ideas for data formats and sources/destinations
> for data.
>
> For the sake of separation, does it make sense to now introduce a users
> list in conjunction with the dev list to facilitate the separation of
> channels of information?  Not sure what kind of lead time is needed for
> infra (assuming this is in fact done through them), so even if this is a
> bit on the early side, it may coincide with a juncture when a legitimate
> need is there.

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
Here is the INFRA ticket for this:

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aldrin,
>
> I agree and a few others have brought it up as well.  There haven't
> been any objections that I am aware of so will send in the INFRA
> ticket shortly.
>
> Also for everyone's awareness i started a meetup for folks in the DC,
> MD, VA area.  Our first event is here:
> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/
>
> We hope to see folks there.  We've had two companies offer their space
> on a recurring basis both of which are in the Columbia, MD area.

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Presentations provided by both Joe Witt and Joey Echeverria sparked
>> interest in NiFi.  To that end, a lot of the dialog occurring was less
>> specifically development focused and more on how to use NiFi, explaining
>> scope of the project, and how to integrate with existing data flow,
>> inclusive of suggestions on ideas for data formats and sources/destinations
>> for data.
>>
>> For the sake of separation, does it make sense to now introduce a users
>> list in conjunction with the dev list to facilitate the separation of
>> channels of information?  Not sure what kind of lead time is needed for
>> infra (assuming this is in fact done through them), so even if this is a
>> bit on the early side, it may coincide with a juncture when a legitimate
>> need is there.

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
Benson, Mentors,

We received a reply from INFRA that the way to get this setup is to
request from the PMC Chair (i assume that is you?)

"
hi

pleae get pmc chair to fiil out:-

https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq

Thanks!
https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
"

Can you please do this?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is the INFRA ticket for this:
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Aldrin,
>>
>> I agree and a few others have brought it up as well.  There haven't
>> been any objections that I am aware of so will send in the INFRA
>> ticket shortly.
>>
>> Also for everyone's awareness i started a meetup for folks in the DC,
>> MD, VA area.  Our first event is here:
>> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/
>>
>> We hope to see folks there.  We've had two companies offer their space
>> on a recurring basis both of which are in the Columbia, MD area.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Presentations provided by both Joe Witt and Joey Echeverria sparked
>>> interest in NiFi.  To that end, a lot of the dialog occurring was less
>>> specifically development focused and more on how to use NiFi, explaining
>>> scope of the project, and how to integrate with existing data flow,
>>> inclusive of suggestions on ideas for data formats and sources/destinations
>>> for data.
>>>
>>> For the sake of separation, does it make sense to now introduce a users
>>> list in conjunction with the dev list to facilitate the separation of
>>> channels of information?  Not sure what kind of lead time is needed for
>>> infra (assuming this is in fact done through them), so even if this is a
>>> bit on the early side, it may coincide with a juncture when a legitimate
>>> need is there.

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Benson Margulies
That would have to be the IPMC chair. This is a bit of a surprise to me,
ask on general@incu?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benson, Mentors,
>
> We received a reply from INFRA that the way to get this setup is to
> request from the PMC Chair (i assume that is you?)
>
> "
> hi
>
> pleae get pmc chair to fiil out:-
>
> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>
> Thanks!
> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
> "
>
> Can you please do this?

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Here is the INFRA ticket for this:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Aldrin,
> >>
> >> I agree and a few others have brought it up as well.  There haven't
> >> been any objections that I am aware of so will send in the INFRA
> >> ticket shortly.
> >>
> >> Also for everyone's awareness i started a meetup for folks in the DC,
> >> MD, VA area.  Our first event is here:
> >>
> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/
> >>
> >> We hope to see folks there.  We've had two companies offer their space
> >> on a recurring basis both of which are in the Columbia, MD area.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Joe

> explaining
> sources/destinations

> legitimate

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
ok will do.

thanks
Joe

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Benson Margulies
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would have to be the IPMC chair. This is a bit of a surprise to me,
> ask on general@incu?
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Benson, Mentors,
>>
>> We received a reply from INFRA that the way to get this setup is to
>> request from the PMC Chair (i assume that is you?)
>>
>> "
>> hi
>>
>> pleae get pmc chair to fiil out:-
>>
>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>>
>> Thanks!
>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>> "
>>
>> Can you please do this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Here is the INFRA ticket for this:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9462

>> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

>> explaining
>> sources/destinations

>> legitimate

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
Benson,

I sent the request to general@iao.

Got sent back here.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok will do.
>
> thanks
> Joe
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Benson Margulies
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That would have to be the IPMC chair. This is a bit of a surprise to me,
>> ask on general@incu?
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Benson, Mentors,
>>>
>>> We received a reply from INFRA that the way to get this setup is to
>>> request from the PMC Chair (i assume that is you?)
>>>
>>> "
>>> hi
>>>
>>> pleae get pmc chair to fiil out:-
>>>
>>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>>> "
>>>
>>> Can you please do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Joe

>>> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

>>> explaining
>>> sources/destinations

>>> legitimate

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Benson Margulies
I think that as an ex-chair I have the karma. When I am not at the dentist
I'll try it.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benson,
>
> I sent the request to general@iao.
>
> Got sent back here.

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ok will do.
> >
> > thanks
> > Joe
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Benson Margulies
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> That would have to be the IPMC chair. This is a bit of a surprise to me,
> >> ask on general@incu?

> DC,
> >>> >>

> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

> space

> less

> users
> of
> needed for
> this is

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Benson Margulies
Done:

Submitted request(s)

{
  "version": 4,
  "type": "podling",
  "private": true,
  "subdomain": "nifi",
  "outhost": "nifi.incubator.apache.org",
  "localpart": "users",
  "domain": "apache.org",
  "moderators": "[hidden email],[hidden email]",
  "muopts": "mu",
  "replytolist": true,
  "notifyee": "[hidden email]"
}

svn add -- input/nifi-users.json

A         input/nifi-users.json

svn add -- input/nifi+.json

A         input/nifi+.json

svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]
mailing list request by bimargulies via 140.211.11.72' --
input/nifi-users.json input/nifi+.json

Adding         input/nifi+.json

Adding         input/nifi-users.json

Transmitting file data ..

Committed revision 948036.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benson, Mentors,
>
> We received a reply from INFRA that the way to get this setup is to
> request from the PMC Chair (i assume that is you?)
>
> "
> hi
>
> pleae get pmc chair to fiil out:-
>
> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>
> Thanks!
> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
> "
>
> Can you please do this?

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Here is the INFRA ticket for this:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Aldrin,
> >>
> >> I agree and a few others have brought it up as well.  There haven't
> >> been any objections that I am aware of so will send in the INFRA
> >> ticket shortly.
> >>
> >> Also for everyone's awareness i started a meetup for folks in the DC,
> >> MD, VA area.  Our first event is here:
> >>
> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/
> >>
> >> We hope to see folks there.  We've had two companies offer their space
> >> on a recurring basis both of which are in the Columbia, MD area.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Joe

> explaining
> sources/destinations

> legitimate

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
Thank you Benson!

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Benson Margulies
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done:
>
> Submitted request(s)
>
> {
>   "version": 4,
>   "type": "podling",
>   "private": true,
>   "subdomain": "nifi",
>   "outhost": "nifi.incubator.apache.org",
>   "localpart": "users",
>   "domain": "apache.org",
>   "moderators": "[hidden email],[hidden email]",
>   "muopts": "mu",
>   "replytolist": true,
>   "notifyee": "[hidden email]"
> }
>
> svn add -- input/nifi-users.json
>
> A         input/nifi-users.json
>
> svn add -- input/nifi+.json
>
> A         input/nifi+.json
>
> svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]
> mailing list request by bimargulies via 140.211.11.72' --
> input/nifi-users.json input/nifi+.json
>
> Adding         input/nifi+.json
>
> Adding         input/nifi-users.json
>
> Transmitting file data ..
>
> Committed revision 948036.
>

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Benson, Mentors,
>>
>> We received a reply from INFRA that the way to get this setup is to
>> request from the PMC Chair (i assume that is you?)
>>
>> "
>> hi
>>
>> pleae get pmc chair to fiil out:-
>>
>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>>
>> Thanks!
>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>> "
>>
>> Can you please do this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Here is the INFRA ticket for this:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9462

>> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

>> explaining
>> sources/destinations

>> legitimate

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
Benson,

Is there a next step we do or does the process you kicked off just
take time?  Will we get a notification of when it is setup?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Benson!
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Benson Margulies
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Done:
>>
>> Submitted request(s)
>>
>> {
>>   "version": 4,
>>   "type": "podling",
>>   "private": true,
>>   "subdomain": "nifi",
>>   "outhost": "nifi.incubator.apache.org",
>>   "localpart": "users",
>>   "domain": "apache.org",
>>   "moderators": "[hidden email],[hidden email]",
>>   "muopts": "mu",
>>   "replytolist": true,
>>   "notifyee": "[hidden email]"
>> }
>>
>> svn add -- input/nifi-users.json
>>
>> A         input/nifi-users.json
>>
>> svn add -- input/nifi+.json
>>
>> A         input/nifi+.json
>>
>> svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]
>> mailing list request by bimargulies via 140.211.11.72' --
>> input/nifi-users.json input/nifi+.json
>>
>> Adding         input/nifi+.json
>>
>> Adding         input/nifi-users.json
>>
>> Transmitting file data ..
>>
>> Committed revision 948036.
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Benson, Mentors,
>>>
>>> We received a reply from INFRA that the way to get this setup is to
>>> request from the PMC Chair (i assume that is you?)
>>>
>>> "
>>> hi
>>>
>>> pleae get pmc chair to fiil out:-
>>>
>>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>>> "
>>>
>>> Can you please do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Joe

>>> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

>>> explaining
>>> sources/destinations

>>> legitimate

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Benson Margulies
I am think it is already there. Try it.
On Apr 20, 2015 3:53 PM, "Joe Witt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benson,
>
> Is there a next step we do or does the process you kicked off just
> take time?  Will we get a notification of when it is setup?

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thank you Benson!
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Benson Margulies
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Done:
> >>
> >> Submitted request(s)
> >>
> >> {
> >>   "version": 4,
> >>   "type": "podling",
> >>   "private": true,
> >>   "subdomain": "nifi",
> >>   "outhost": "nifi.incubator.apache.org",
> >>   "localpart": "users",
> >>   "domain": "apache.org",
> >>   "moderators": "[hidden email],[hidden email]",
> >>   "muopts": "mu",
> >>   "replytolist": true,
> >>   "notifyee": "[hidden email]"
> >> }
> >>
> >> svn add -- input/nifi-users.json
> >>
> >> A         input/nifi-users.json
> >>
> >> svn add -- input/nifi+.json
> >>
> >> A         input/nifi+.json
> >>
> >> svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]
> >> mailing list request by bimargulies via 140.211.11.72' --
> >> input/nifi-users.json input/nifi+.json
> >>
> >> Adding         input/nifi+.json
> >>
> >> Adding         input/nifi-users.json
> >>
> >> Transmitting file data ..
> >>
> >> Committed revision 948036.

> DC,
> >>> >>

> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

> space

> less

> users
> of
> needed for
> this is

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Joe Witt
Just sent an email to '[hidden email]'

I also checked to see if the archive location exists and it doesn't appear to:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-nifi-users/

One thing i was wondering about in your command set above was this line:
svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]

Should that have been:

svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]

To account for 'incubator'?

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am think it is already there. Try it.
> On Apr 20, 2015 3:53 PM, "Joe Witt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Benson,
>>
>> Is there a next step we do or does the process you kicked off just
>> take time?  Will we get a notification of when it is setup?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Thank you Benson!

>> DC,
>> >>> >>

>> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

>> space

>> less

>> users
>> of
>> needed for
>> this is

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Benson Margulies
They aren't my commands. I filled out a form and that is what came back. I
got your message.
On Apr 20, 2015 3:59 PM, "Joe Witt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just sent an email to '[hidden email]'
>
> I also checked to see if the archive location exists and it doesn't appear
> to:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-nifi-users/
>
> One thing i was wondering about in your command set above was this line:
> svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]
>
> Should that have been:
>
> svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '
> [hidden email]
>
> To account for 'incubator'?
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I am think it is already there. Try it.
> > On Apr 20, 2015 3:53 PM, "Joe Witt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Benson,
> >>
> >> Is there a next step we do or does the process you kicked off just
> >> take time?  Will we get a notification of when it is setup?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Joe

> [hidden email]

> haven't

> >> DC,
> >> >>> >>

> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

> >> space

> [hidden email]>
> sparked
> was
> >> less
> flow,

> >> users
> separation
> >> of
> >> needed for
> >> this is

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Billie Rinaldi-2
The archives link doesn't show up until there are messages.  There is some
delay before the messages get picked up on mail-archives, so I wouldn't be
concerned yet.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just sent an email to '[hidden email]'
>
> I also checked to see if the archive location exists and it doesn't appear
> to:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-nifi-users/
>
> One thing i was wondering about in your command set above was this line:
> svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '[hidden email]
>
> Should that have been:
>
> svn commit --no-auth-cache --non-interactive -m '
> [hidden email]
>
> To account for 'incubator'?
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I am think it is already there. Try it.
> > On Apr 20, 2015 3:53 PM, "Joe Witt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Benson,
> >>
> >> Is there a next step we do or does the process you kicked off just
> >> take time?  Will we get a notification of when it is setup?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Joe

> [hidden email]

> haven't

> >> DC,
> >> >>> >>

> http://www.meetup.com/Apache-NiFi-Users-Group-DC-VA-MD/events/221910531/

> >> space

> [hidden email]>
> sparked
> was
> >> less
> flow,

> >> users
> separation
> >> of
> >> needed for
> >> this is

Re: Is it time for a user list?

Aldrin Piri
All,

Thanks to Benson, our users list is now live.

Additionally,  the users archive [1] is also available.  I have updated our
mailing lists page [2] to include the users mailing list information.
I would encourage you all to subscribe by sending an email to
[hidden email].

At this point we should encourage the delineation between user and
development where practical to have a more focused context on each
channel.  It shall be a gradual shift, but we can slowly create that
transition in the days ahead.

Thanks!
Aldrin

--