Java System Variables in NIFI

Richards, Michael W
Hi NIFI -

I am using NIFI over here at US Bank.  Is see that that the NIFI system variables are in the nifi.properties file.  If I want to set my own java system property for a custom NAR processor that I am writing, where exactly do I set that?  I'm assuming I don't want to add mine to nifi.properties.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Richards
Phone: 612-973-5181
Email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Re: Java System Variables in NIFI

Joe Witt
Mike,

You can set your own custom properties in the nifi.properties file as
you mention and this would be the appropriate place for things that
'must be' system properties in a Java JVM sense.

https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#custom_properties

However, it would be ideal to avoid needing a true system property as
this is often indicative of something that might well not be
Nar/isolated classloader friendly.  If possible it would be better to
leverage the variables of a process group.  This can be better
understood here

https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/user-guide.html#Variables_Window

These would be properties which get passed into the
processor/components of a given group and their lifecycles well
managed and works with the versioned flow model safely.  Usually
system properties by comparison tend to have a presumed JVM wide and
JVM scope lifetime.

Thanks