MiNiFi Java as Windows Service

Jeff Zemerick
Hi,

I see a ticket to make the C++ version run as a Windows service
(MINIFI-89). Is there a recommended method of running the Java version as a
Windows service? If not, would there be any interest in a pull request to
add that functionality?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: MiNiFi Java as Windows Service

Aldrin Piri
Hi Jeff,

A PR would most certainly be welcomed and (likely could be an easy win for
NiFi as well).  The only caveat to be mindful of is that any
frameworks/tools/utilities should be friendly with ALv2 terms as per
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html.   If you have any particular
items in mind and are unsure, please feel free to follow up on here and we
can work though what licensing looks like.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Jeff Zemerick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see a ticket to make the C++ version run as a Windows service
> (MINIFI-89). Is there a recommended method of running the Java version as a
> Windows service? If not, would there be any interest in a pull request to
> add that functionality?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Re: MiNiFi Java as Windows Service

Joey Frazee
Jefff, there was a related thread about this a few months back: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/05abafa804b0bb774211ef602d5fc2ec3aa8bdf5c584f2aab3014b42@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/05abafa804b0bb774211ef602d5fc2ec3aa8bdf5c584f2aab3014b42@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E>

In that, Andre suggested an approach using https://github.com/kohsuke/winsw <https://github.com/kohsuke/winsw> and maybe he has a branch already, but anything with a compatible license will certainly be a great contribution.

I’m sure me and him, and others are very interested in this.

-joey

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> A PR would most certainly be welcomed and (likely could be an easy win for
> NiFi as well).  The only caveat to be mindful of is that any
> frameworks/tools/utilities should be friendly with ALv2 terms as per
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html.   If you have any particular
> items in mind and are unsure, please feel free to follow up on here and we
> can work though what licensing looks like.
>
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Jeff Zemerick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I see a ticket to make the C++ version run as a Windows service
>> (MINIFI-89). Is there a recommended method of running the Java version as a
>> Windows service? If not, would there be any interest in a pull request to
>> add that functionality?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Re: MiNiFi Java as Windows Service

Bryan Rosander-3
+1

It looks like winsw would be a good option.  I noticed it also supports
arbitrary executables, not just Java programs.  That would mean we could
use it for both C++ and Java implementations unless there's a good reason
not to (once C++ version can run on Windows).

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Joey Frazee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jefff, there was a related thread about this a few months back:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/05abafa804b0bb774211ef602d5fc2
> ec3aa8bdf5c584f2aab3014b42@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E <
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/05abafa804b0bb774211ef602d5fc2
> ec3aa8bdf5c584f2aab3014b42@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E>
>
> In that, Andre suggested an approach using https://github.com/kohsuke/
> winsw <https://github.com/kohsuke/winsw> and maybe he has a branch
> already, but anything with a compatible license will certainly be a great
> contribution.
>
> I’m sure me and him, and others are very interested in this.
>
> -joey
>
> > On Jun 26, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > A PR would most certainly be welcomed and (likely could be an easy win
> for
> > NiFi as well).  The only caveat to be mindful of is that any
> > frameworks/tools/utilities should be friendly with ALv2 terms as per
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html.   If you have any particular
> > items in mind and are unsure, please feel free to follow up on here and
> we
> > can work though what licensing looks like.
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Jeff Zemerick <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I see a ticket to make the C++ version run as a Windows service
> >> (MINIFI-89). Is there a recommended method of running the Java version
> as a
> >> Windows service? If not, would there be any interest in a pull request
> >> add that functionality?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jeff

Re: MiNiFi Java as Windows Service

Jeff Zemerick
Thanks everyone! I will make a JIRA task and look over the shared links.

Jeff

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Bryan Rosander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>
> It looks like winsw would be a good option.  I noticed it also supports
> arbitrary executables, not just Java programs.  That would mean we could
> use it for both C++ and Java implementations unless there's a good reason
> not to (once C++ version can run on Windows).
>
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Joey Frazee <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Jefff, there was a related thread about this a few months back:
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/05abafa804b0bb774211ef602d5fc2
> > ec3aa8bdf5c584f2aab3014b42@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E <
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/05abafa804b0bb774211ef602d5fc2
> > ec3aa8bdf5c584f2aab3014b42@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E>
> >
> > In that, Andre suggested an approach using https://github.com/kohsuke/
> > winsw <https://github.com/kohsuke/winsw> and maybe he has a branch
> > already, but anything with a compatible license will certainly be a great
> > contribution.
> >
> > I’m sure me and him, and others are very interested in this.
> >
> > -joey
> >
> > > On Jun 26, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Jeff,
> > >
> > > A PR would most certainly be welcomed and (likely could be an easy win
> > for
> > > NiFi as well).  The only caveat to be mindful of is that any
> > > frameworks/tools/utilities should be friendly with ALv2 terms as per
> > > http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html.   If you have any
> particular
> > > items in mind and are unsure, please feel free to follow up on here and
> > we
> > > can work though what licensing looks like.

> > as a

Re: MiNiFi Java as Windows Service

Jeff Zemerick
I submitted a pull request for running MiNiFi as a Windows service using
Commons Daemon's Procrun. Like winsw it supports more than just Java
applications so it should work for the C++ version as well. I went with it
due to it also being ASL and just due to personal familiarity. If there's a
strong desire for winsw instead let me know!

Since our edge locations are Windows environments I have also created a
Windows setup for MiNiFi using InnoSetup. The setup copies the required
files, installs the service, and removes the service when uninstalled. The
setup is buildable through Maven with a profile I added to the
minifi-assembly project (assuming InnoSetup is on your computer). If you
think there might be a broad appeal for this I'll be happy to make a pull
request for it.

Thanks,
Jeff