NiFI 1.4.0 UI can't be displayed in an IFrame?

NiFI 1.4.0 UI can't be displayed in an IFrame?

tanezavm
Hi,

I tried to display NiFi 1.4.0 UI in an IFrame but it failed to load with
error below:

Refused to display 'https://172.16.0.33:8443/nifi/' in a frame because it
set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'sameorigin'.

Note: This setup works using NiFi 1.1.2.

Kindly advise.

Thanks,
Virgil

Re: NiFI 1.4.0 UI can't be displayed in an IFrame?

Andy LoPresto-2
Virgil,

This was intentionally introduced via NIFI-3907 [1] in Apache NiFi 1.3.0 as a mitigation for CVE-2017-7667 [2]. Prior to this change, a malicious site could have displayed the NiFi UI and introduced invisible overlays such that an unsuspecting user would perform actions like entering sensitive credentials into a malicious form field. See here [3] and here [4] for further information on Cross Frame Scripting / Clickjacking, as the attack is called.

If you have some kind of enterprise portal and have a legitimate need to display a NiFi UI within a frame that is not hosted on the same origin, you can resort to modifying the value provided to the response header in the filter here [5]. If you need this as an included feature in NiFi (for example, a configurable URI in nifi.properties), I suggest raising a Jira ticket, but I have to caution that it would be a low priority, as this actively weakens the security of the system and is not a common use case.

On Dec 12, 2017, at 10:15 AM, tanezavm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I tried to display NiFi 1.4.0 UI in an IFrame but it failed to load with
error below:

Refused to display 'https://172.16.0.33:8443/nifi/' in a frame because it
set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'sameorigin'.

Note: This setup works using NiFi 1.1.2.

Kindly advise.

Thanks,
Virgil

Re: NiFI 1.4.0 UI can't be displayed in an IFrame?

tanezavm
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the very helpful explanation. I believe I would go to option 5 to
change the value provided to the response header. We have some kind of
enterprise portal and have a legitimate need to display a NiFi UI within a
frame.

Regards,
Virgil

Re: NiFI 1.4.0 UI can't be displayed in an IFrame?

Andy LoPresto-2
Virgil,

Understood. I would encourage you to open a ticket documenting this need as there may be other users who also need it, and a native feature will be more useful than requiring people to manually change code and build the application with every release. Thanks.

On Jan 10, 2018, at 7:20 AM, tanezavm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the very helpful explanation. I believe I would go to option 5 to
change the value provided to the response header. We have some kind of
enterprise portal and have a legitimate need to display a NiFi UI within a
frame.

Regards,
Virgil

Re: NiFI 1.4.0 UI can't be displayed in an IFrame?

tanezavm
Hi Andy,

I submitted a ticket to document our need.
Here is the link - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-4797

Regards,
Virgil