Problems running Kafka tests

Joe Skora
One of my dev systems is a Mac running El Capitan (10.11.6) and Java
1.8.0_121.  I don't know when it started, but around the 1.1.2 release I
noticed that it has not been able to run the full unit test suite on 1.1.2
or master.

One place it seems to have problems is the Kafka tests.  Many fail with
timeout issues like this.

Running org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest

> Tests run: 5, Failures: 2, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 352.086
> sec <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest
> validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest)
> Time elapsed: 60.011 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> java.lang.AssertionError: expected:<3> but was:<-1>
>         at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
>         at org.junit.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:834)
>         at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:645)
>         at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:631)
>         at
> org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited(KafkaPublisherTest.java:107)

Some fail on transfer count.

Running org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestGetKafka

> Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 1, Time elapsed: 0 sec - in
> org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestGetKafka
> Results :
> Failed tests:
>   KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited:107 expected:<3>
> but was:<-1>
>   KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsWhole:80 expected:<0> but
> was:<-1>
>   PutKafkaTest.validateComplexLeftPartialDemarcatedMessages:184 Expected
> all Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>   PutKafkaTest.validateComplexPartialMatchDemarcatedMessages:207 Expected
> all Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>   PutKafkaTest.validateComplexRightPartialDemarcatedMessages:163 Expected
> all Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>   PutKafkaTest.validateDemarcationIntoEmptyMessages:134 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>   PutKafkaTest.validateDeprecatedPartitionStrategy:236 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>   PutKafkaTest.validateMultiCharacterDelimitedMessages:106 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>   PutKafkaTest.validateSingleCharacterDemarcatedMessages:79 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure

And some throw a ConsumerTimeout.

Tests in error:
>   KafkaPublisherTest.validateRetries:147 » ConsumerTimeout
>   KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharactersNoDelimiter:233 »
> ConsumerTimeout

So far I cannot find anything obviously wrong or different on the system.
I've wiped my local repository with no improvement.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Problems running Kafka tests

Otto Fowler
I have been able to build an test using both:

mvn -q -T C2.0 integration-test

and

mvn -T C2.0 clean install

I am using the same java version, but on Sierra (10.12.3)

Is that the way you are running it?

On March 9, 2017 at 05:27:02, Joe Skora ([hidden email]) wrote:

> [...]

> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> PutKafkaTest.validateDeprecatedPartitionStrategy:236 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> PutKafkaTest.validateMultiCharacterDelimitedMessages:106 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> PutKafkaTest.validateSingleCharacterDemarcatedMessages:79 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure

And some throw a ConsumerTimeout.

Tests in error:
> KafkaPublisherTest.validateRetries:147 » ConsumerTimeout
> KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharactersNoDelimiter:233 »
> ConsumerTimeout

So far I cannot find anything obviously wrong or different on the system.
I've wiped my local repository with no improvement.

I started with

mvn -T 4 clean install -DskipTests

to make sure there were no build issues and then ran the tests with

mvn test

to keep it simple.

(I won't have access to that machine again until this evening, this is my
best recollection.)

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Otto Fowler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> > PutKafkaTest.validateDeprecatedPartitionStrategy:236 Expected all
> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> > PutKafkaTest.validateMultiCharacterDelimitedMessages:106 Expected all
> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> > PutKafkaTest.validateSingleCharacterDemarcatedMessages:79 Expected all
> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>
> And some throw a ConsumerTimeout.
>
> Tests in error:
> > KafkaPublisherTest.validateRetries:147 » ConsumerTimeout
> > KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharactersNoDelimiter:233 »
> > ConsumerTimeout
>

> So far I cannot find anything obviously wrong or different on the system.
> I've wiped my local repository with no improvement.

Ok, that still works for me, sorry.

On March 9, 2017 at 08:00:23, Joe Skora ([hidden email]) wrote:

> [...]

> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> > PutKafkaTest.validateDeprecatedPartitionStrategy:236 Expected all
> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> > PutKafkaTest.validateMultiCharacterDelimitedMessages:106 Expected all
> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> > PutKafkaTest.validateSingleCharacterDemarcatedMessages:79 Expected all
> > Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>
> And some throw a ConsumerTimeout.
>
> Tests in error:
> > KafkaPublisherTest.validateRetries:147 » ConsumerTimeout
> > KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharactersNoDelimiter:233 »
> > ConsumerTimeout
>

> So far I cannot find anything obviously wrong or different on the system.
> I've wiped my local repository with no improvement.

Andy LoPresto-2
Joe,

Are you running the tests on master? There have been occasional hiccups in our test hygiene lately but as of right now (commit c9097e7db3015ce43c1aa8980cfeba55a6b871f7), I can successfully build the project and run all the tests. I do remember there was an issue where the Kafka tests could fail if something else was running on the same port as the test instance, but Koji fixed that a while ago.

On Mar 9, 2017, at 6:38 AM, Otto Fowler <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Andy,

I originally saw the problem during the 1.1.2 vote, but suspected it was my
box then since it worked fine on my Ubuntu system.  I know several other
committers use Macs, so last night I wiped my local repository in case it
had gotten messed up.  After that, 1.1.2 failed to build due to JBcrypt
issues so I switched to a rebased master and that builds but still fails on
the unit tests.

I faintly recalled some issue(s) last year with old JDK versions, so I
installed JDK1.8.0_121 and rebuilt again with no change.

I will check for port conflict tonight, do you know what port(s) the Kafka
tests use?

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Andy LoPresto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> PutKafkaTest.validateDeprecatedPartitionStrategy:236 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> PutKafkaTest.validateMultiCharacterDelimitedMessages:106 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> PutKafkaTest.validateSingleCharacterDemarcatedMessages:79 Expected all
> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>

> And some throw a ConsumerTimeout.
>
> Tests in error:
>
> KafkaPublisherTest.validateRetries:147 » ConsumerTimeout
> KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharactersNoDelimiter:233 »
> ConsumerTimeout
>

> So far I cannot find anything obviously wrong or different on the system.
> I've wiped my local repository with no improvement.

Joe Witt
JoeS:

I've seen the same problems I think.  Here is what I reported recently:

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Joe Skora <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>> PutKafkaTest.validateDeprecatedPartitionStrategy:236 Expected all
>> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>> PutKafkaTest.validateMultiCharacterDelimitedMessages:106 Expected all
>> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>> PutKafkaTest.validateSingleCharacterDemarcatedMessages:79 Expected all
>> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
>>

>> And some throw a ConsumerTimeout.
>>
>> Tests in error:
>>
>> KafkaPublisherTest.validateRetries:147 » ConsumerTimeout
>> KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharactersNoDelimiter:233 »
>> ConsumerTimeout
>>

>> So far I cannot find anything obviously wrong or different on the system.
>> I've wiped my local repository with no improvement.

JoeW,

Winner, winner turkey dinner, that test output looks very familiar.

What's really strange... Linux works for me while OS X fails both on good
hardware.

Proving once again the beauty of Java ... "Write once, run anywhere (or at
least in a few places, maybe)".

JoeS

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> >> PutKafkaTest.validateDeprecatedPartitionStrategy:236 Expected all
> >> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> >> PutKafkaTest.validateMultiCharacterDelimitedMessages:106 Expected all
> >> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> >> PutKafkaTest.validateSingleCharacterDemarcatedMessages:79 Expected all
> >> Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
> >>

> >> And some throw a ConsumerTimeout.
> >>
> >> Tests in error:
> >>
> >> KafkaPublisherTest.validateRetries:147 » ConsumerTimeout
> >> KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharactersNoDelimiter:233 »
> >> ConsumerTimeout
> >>

> >> So far I cannot find anything obviously wrong or different on the
> system.
> >> I've wiped my local repository with no improvement.

That’s strange. I’ve been running master tests 3-4 times a day on Mac OS X 10.11.6 with Java 1.8.0_101 and have not encountered those errors at all.

Determining Java environment...
Java executable location: /Users/alopresto/.jenv/shims/java
Java home: /Users/alopresto/.jenv/versions/1.8 -> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_101.jdk/Contents/Home
Java version:
java version "1.8.0_101"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)
Determining Maven environment...
Maven executable location: /usr/local/bin/mvn
Maven home: /usr/local/Cellar/maven/3.3.3/libexec/
Maven version: Apache Maven 3.3.9 (bb52d8502b132ec0a5a3f4c09453c07478323dc5; 2015-11-10T08:41:47-08:00)
Maven home: /usr/local/Cellar/maven/3.3.9/libexec
Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_101.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.11.6", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
hw12203:/Users/alopresto/Workspace/nifi (master) alopresto
🔓 6083s @ 10:57:29 $

The Kafka port was 9092 and I verified and merged Koji’s PR [1] to fix it.