Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

12

Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
I've built a NAR containing a custom processor that loads in NiFi, but
the processor cannot be found. At the top of /TikaProcessor.java/, I
have, among other annotations, this:

@Tags( { "tika" } )

I've tried a number of things to solve this, like making it the only NAR
besides just the set NiFi 1.1.1 ships with, and wiping out all flows
down to a blank canvas. I tried removing SNAPSHOT from its version. *I
see this in **/logs/nifi-app.log/*: This is the only reference to it in
any log, but it does make me think that it's loaded:

2017-03-28 15:24:20,226 INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.nar.NarClassLoaders
Loaded NAR file:
/home/russ/dev/nifi/nifi-1.1.1/./work/nar/extensions/nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar-unpacked
as class loader
org.apache.nifi.nar.NarClassLoader[./work/nar/extensions/nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar-unpacked]

In /resources/META_INF/services/, /org.apache.nifi.processor.Processor/
contains:

/com.imatsolutions.nifi.processor.TikaProcessor/

  I have a separate, very large project with many custom processors all
of which load fine (and I've used this one before. In fact, the only
thing I've done is remove this long-working processor from a larger
set.) This project is very small:

    nifi-tika
    +-- nar
    | +-- /nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar/
    |   `-- pom.xml (packaging is "nar")
    +-- pom.xml (packaging is "pom")
    `-- tika
         +-- pom.xml (packaging is "jar")
         +-- src (test, resources, etc. including
    /resources/META_INF/services/org.apache.nifi.p//rocessor.Processor/)
         `-- target
             `-- /tika-1.0.1.jar/

I'm not certain what else to try. My /pom.xml/ files produce a NAR. NiFi
appears to dignify it as a NAR. I keep retracing all the steps, but
cannot figure out what I've missed.

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
Just a simple idea, but try clearing your browser cache out and reloading
the entire canvas. I have had some funny behaviours before with a stale
cache not seeing anything.

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Andre
Russell,

Not sure if this is a typo but have you noticed this?

p//rocessor.Processor

Cheers

figure out what I've missed.

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
(Yeah, sorry, that is only a typo in my e-mail.)

On 03/28/2017 04:36 PM, Andre wrote:

> Russell,
>
> Not sure if this is a typo but have you noticed this?
>
> p//rocessor.Processor
>
> Cheers
>

> On 29 Mar 2017 8:57 AM, "Russell Bateman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've built a NAR containing a custom processor that loads in NiFi, but the
> processor cannot be found. At the top of /TikaProcessor.java/, I have,
> among other annotations, this:
>
> @Tags( { "tika" } )
>
> I've tried a number of things to solve this, like making it the only NAR
> besides just the set NiFi 1.1.1 ships with, and wiping out all flows down
> to a blank canvas. I tried removing SNAPSHOT from its version. *I see this
> in **/logs/nifi-app.log/*: This is the only reference to it in any log, but
> it does make me think that it's loaded:
>
> 2017-03-28 15:24:20,226 INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.nar.NarClassLoaders
> Loaded NAR file: /home/russ/dev/nifi/nifi-1.1.1
> /./work/nar/extensions/nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar-unpacked as class loader
> org.apache.nifi.nar.NarClassLoader[./work/nar/extensions/
> nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar-unpacked]
>
> In /resources/META_INF/services/, /org.apache.nifi.processor.Processor/
> contains:
>
> /com.imatsolutions.nifi.processor.TikaProcessor/
>
>   I have a separate, very large project with many custom processors all of
> which load fine (and I've used this one before. In fact, the only thing
> I've done is remove this long-working processor from a larger set.) This
> project is very small:
>
>     nifi-tika
>     +-- nar
>     | +-- /nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar/
>     |   `-- pom.xml (packaging is "nar")
>     +-- pom.xml (packaging is "pom")
>     `-- tika
>          +-- pom.xml (packaging is "jar")
>          +-- src (test, resources, etc. including
>     /resources/META_INF/services/org.apache.nifi.p//rocessor.Processor/)
>          `-- target
>              `-- /tika-1.0.1.jar/
>
> I'm not certain what else to try. My /pom.xml/ files produce a NAR. NiFi
> appears to dignify it as a NAR. I keep retracing all the steps, but cannot
> figure out what I've missed.

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
Thanks, I have tried this on both Firefox and Chrome. (I'm on Linux.)
This is a very perplexing problem because it's so simple. I'm happy to
make available /pom.xml/ files and/or the NAR.

On 03/28/2017 04:31 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> Just a simple idea, but try clearing your browser cache out and reloading
> the entire canvas. I have had some funny behaviours before with a stale
> cache not seeing anything.
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've built a NAR containing a custom processor that loads in NiFi, but the
>> processor cannot be found. At the top of /TikaProcessor.java/, I have,
>> among other annotations, this:
>>
>> @Tags( { "tika" } )
>>
>> I've tried a number of things to solve this, like making it the only NAR
>> besides just the set NiFi 1.1.1 ships with, and wiping out all flows down
>> to a blank canvas. I tried removing SNAPSHOT from its version. *I see this
>> in **/logs/nifi-app.log/*: This is the only reference to it in any log, but
>> it does make me think that it's loaded:
>>
>> 2017-03-28 15:24:20,226 INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.nar.NarClassLoaders
>> Loaded NAR file: /home/russ/dev/nifi/nifi-1.1.1
>> /./work/nar/extensions/nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar-unpacked as class loader
>> org.apache.nifi.nar.NarClassLoader[./work/nar/extensions/
>> nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar-unpacked]
>>
>> In /resources/META_INF/services/, /org.apache.nifi.processor.Processor/
>> contains:
>>
>> /com.imatsolutions.nifi.processor.TikaProcessor/
>>
>>   I have a separate, very large project with many custom processors all of
>> which load fine (and I've used this one before. In fact, the only thing
>> I've done is remove this long-working processor from a larger set.) This
>> project is very small:
>>
>>     nifi-tika
>>     +-- nar
>>     | +-- /nifi-tika-1.0.1.nar/
>>     |   `-- pom.xml (packaging is "nar")
>>     +-- pom.xml (packaging is "pom")
>>     `-- tika
>>          +-- pom.xml (packaging is "jar")
>>          +-- src (test, resources, etc. including
>>     /resources/META_INF/services/org.apache.nifi.p//rocessor.Processor/)
>>          `-- target
>>              `-- /tika-1.0.1.jar/
>>
>> I'm not certain what else to try. My /pom.xml/ files produce a NAR. NiFi
>> appears to dignify it as a NAR. I keep retracing all the steps, but cannot
>> figure out what I've missed.

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
Sure please share, I have alittle time tonight.

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
Thanks! I'll write some kind of blog post on this once we figure it out.

http://www.windofkeltia.com/preview/

On 03/28/2017 04:59 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> Sure please share, I have alittle time tonight.
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I have tried this on both Firefox and Chrome. (I'm on Linux.) This
>> is a very perplexing problem because it's so simple. I'm happy to make
>> available /pom.xml/ files and/or the NAR.
>>
>> On 03/28/2017 04:31 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:
>>
>>> Just a simple idea, but try clearing your browser cache out and reloading
>>> the entire canvas. I have had some funny behaviours before with a stale
>>> cache not seeing anything.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've built a NAR containing a custom processor that loads in NiFi, but the

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
So just exploring the nars I was unable to find any class or resources or
services folder just maven bundled dependency and the package folder name
but not the .class file.

Can you share the content of
your  /src/main/resources/META-INF/services/org.apache.nifi.processor.Processor
file?

You also have this entry in some pom's which I dont have in my NAR projects.

<!-- What builds the NAR file... -->
<groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
<artifactId>nifi-nar-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>1.0.1-incubating</version>
<extensions>true</extensions>

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
Thanks.

/src/main/resources/META-INF/services/org.apache.nifi.processor.Processor/
should contain (as originally noted):

com.imatsolutions.nifi.processor.TikaProcessor

I use the /nifi-nar-maven-plugin/ to manufacture the NAR from the JAR. I
will double-check to see if the META-INF stuff didn't make it into the
JAR (and thence into the NAR).

On 03/28/2017 05:34 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> So just exploring the nars I was unable to find any class or resources or
> services folder just maven bundled dependency and the package folder name
> but not the .class file.
>
> Can you share the content of
> your  /src/main/resources/META-INF/services/org.apache.nifi.processor.Processor
> file?
>
> You also have this entry in some pom's which I dont have in my NAR projects.

> <!-- What builds the NAR file... -->
> <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
> <artifactId>nifi-nar-maven-plugin</artifactId>
> <version>1.0.1-incubating</version>
> <extensions>true</extensions>
>

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I'll write some kind of blog post on this once we figure it out.
>>
>> http://www.windofkeltia.com/preview/
>>

>> On 03/28/2017 04:59 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:
>>
>>> Sure please share, I have alittle time tonight.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, I have tried this on both Firefox and Chrome. (I'm on Linux.) This

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
Excuse my last email I am blind to both apparently. I found the resources.
Going to test deploy it now.

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
Joseph,

You're right. Somehow, /nifi-tika-1.0.1.jar/ is not found among the
myriad JARs under /META-INF/bundle//d-dependen//c//ies/ in the NAR. I
thought I'd seen it in there, but I had not looked hard enough. I'll
have to revisit another (working) /pom.xml/ to see how that's stuffed
into it (mysterious since all the other dependencies got in).

Yes, I had once found a later version of the /nifi-nar-plugin/ and tried
it (because I tend to go with the latest tools for things like this),
but without success so I went back to this one, the /1.0.1-incubating/
plug-in, which is the one we started using at the beginning (about 18
months ago) and have always used.

Thanks very much for the second pair of eyes. I will insist upon
checking for this in my up-coming post, etc.

Russ

On 03/28/2017 05:34 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> So just exploring the nars I was unable to find any class or resources or
> services folder just maven bundled dependency and the package folder name
> but not the .class file.
>
> Can you share the content of
> your  /src/main/resources/META-INF/services/org.apache.nifi.processor.Processor
> file?
>
> You also have this entry in some pom's which I dont have in my NAR projects.

> <!-- What builds the NAR file... -->
> <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
> <artifactId>nifi-nar-maven-plugin</artifactId>
> <version>1.0.1-incubating</version>
> <extensions>true</extensions>
>

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I'll write some kind of blog post on this once we figure it out.
>>
>> http://www.windofkeltia.com/preview/
>>

>> On 03/28/2017 04:59 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:
>>
>>> Sure please share, I have alittle time tonight.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, I have tried this on both Firefox and Chrome. (I'm on Linux.) This

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
its called tika-1.0.1.jar without the nifi prefix in the bundled depnds.

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
Hmmmm... confusing. I will fix that. So, if it's in there, I guess the
question still stands more or less. I checked to ensure the expected
pieces were there.

On 03/28/2017 05:50 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> its called tika-1.0.1.jar without the nifi prefix in the bundled depnds.
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Joseph,
>>
>> You're right. Somehow, /nifi-tika-1.0.1.jar/ is not found among the myriad
>> JARs under /META-INF/bundle//d-dependen//c//ies/ in the NAR. I thought
>> I'd seen it in there, but I had not looked hard enough. I'll have to
>> revisit another (working) /pom.xml/ to see how that's stuffed into it
>> (mysterious since all the other dependencies got in).
>>
>> Yes, I had once found a later version of the /nifi-nar-plugin/ and tried
>> it (because I tend to go with the latest tools for things like this), but
>> without success so I went back to this one, the /1.0.1-incubating/ plug-in,
>> which is the one we started using at the beginning (about 18 months ago)
>> and have always used.
>>
>> Thanks very much for the second pair of eyes. I will insist upon checking
>> for this in my up-coming post, etc.
>>
>> Russ
>>
>> On 03/28/2017 05:34 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:
>>
>>> So just exploring the nars I was unable to find any class or resources or
>>> services folder just maven bundled dependency and the package folder name
>>> but not the .class file.
>>>
>>> Can you share the content of
>>> your  /src/main/resources/META-INF/services/org.apache.nifi.proces
>>> sor.Processor
>>> file?
>>>
>>> You also have this entry in some pom's which I dont have in my NAR
>>> projects.

>>> <!-- What builds the NAR file... -->
>>> <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>> <artifactId>nifi-nar-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>>> <version>1.0.1-incubating</version>
>>> <extensions>true</extensions>
>>>

>>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks! I'll write some kind of blog post on this once we figure it out.

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
So once deployed my UI also does not display anything. So I dug deeper into
your tika-1.0.1.jar file and found inside the processors folder your
TikaProcess.class along with 2 innerclasses called $1 and $2. I don't have
this one though in my nars. So I tried to look around for your Pom plugin.

Would you try rebuilding and updating your pom plugin to the current dev
doc recommendation (drop the incubator).

https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html#nars

<build>
    <plugins>
        <plugin>
            <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
            <artifactId>nifi-nar-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            <version>1.1.0</version>
            <extensions>true</extensions>
        </plugin>
    </plugins>
</build>

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
Thanks, Joseph. The changed (parent) /pom.xml /plus the new NAR (which
still doesn't work for me) are on that path.

Russ

On 03/28/2017 06:09 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> <build>
>      <plugins>
>          <plugin>
>              <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>              <artifactId>nifi-nar-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>              <version>1.1.0</version>
>              <extensions>true</extensions>
>          </plugin>
>      </plugins>
> </build>

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
Can you please also update the Nifi Version in your parent pom as well to
1.1.1 like your attempting to run on, its currently set for 1.0.0.

<properties><nifi.version>*1.0.0*
</nifi.version><slf4j.version>1.7.21</slf4j.version><junit.version>4.12</junit.version><maven.install.skip>true</maven.install.skip><maven.deploy.skip>true</maven.deploy.skip><code.root>..</code.root></properties>

<properties><nifi.version>1.0.0</nifi.version><slf4j.version>1.7.21</slf4j.version><junit.version>4.12</junit.version><maven.install.skip>true</maven.install.skip><maven.deploy.skip>true</maven.deploy.skip><code.root>..</code.root></properties>

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
Both pom.xml and NAR updated (and still not working) on
windofkeltia.com/preview.

On 03/28/2017 06:22 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> Can you please also update the Nifi Version in your parent pom as well to
> 1.1.1 like your attempting to run on, its currently set for 1.0.0.
>
> <properties><nifi.version>*1.0.0*
> </nifi.version><slf4j.version>1.7.21</slf4j.version><junit.version>4.12</junit.version><maven.install.skip>true</maven.install.skip><maven.deploy.skip>true</maven.deploy.skip><code.root>..</code.root></properties>
>
> <properties><nifi.version>1.0.0</nifi.version><slf4j.version>1.7.21</slf4j.version><junit.version>4.12</junit.version><maven.install.skip>true</maven.install.skip><maven.deploy.skip>true</maven.deploy.skip><code.root>..</code.root></properties>
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Joseph Niemiec <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> So once deployed my UI also does not display anything. So I dug deeper
>> into your tika-1.0.1.jar file and found inside the processors folder your
>> TikaProcess.class along with 2 innerclasses called $1 and $2. I don't have
>> this one though in my nars. So I tried to look around for your Pom plugin.
>>
>> Would you try rebuilding and updating your pom plugin to the current dev
>> doc recommendation (drop the incubator).
>>
>> https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html#nars
>>
>> <build>
>>      <plugins>
>>          <plugin>
>>              <groupId>org.apache.nifi</groupId>
>>              <artifactId>nifi-nar-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>>              <version>1.1.0</version>
>>              <extensions>true</extensions>
>>          </plugin>
>>      </plugins>
>> </build>
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Joseph Niemiec <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> its called tika-1.0.1.jar without the nifi prefix in the bundled depnds.

>>> --
>>> Joseph
>>>

>> --
>> Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Joseph Niemiec
The packaged utils is from 1.0.1 and should read 1.1.1 inside the nars
packaged maven depends. Looking at the new parent pom can you change the
last zero to a 1 ?

<nifi.version>1.0.1</nifi.version>

<nifi.version>1.1.1</nifi.version>

Joseph

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
(Sheesh. I apologize for trying to do something else concurrently. I
meant no disrespect. I'm on board now and the changes are up there
again. I'm awaiting NiFi to recycle now.)

On 03/28/2017 06:33 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> The packaged utils is from 1.0.1 and should read 1.1.1 inside the nars
> packaged maven depends. Looking at the new parent pom can you change the
> last zero to a 1 ?
>
> <nifi.version>1.0.1</nifi.version>

> <nifi.version>1.1.1</nifi.version>
>

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Both pom.xml and NAR updated (and still not working) on
>> windofkeltia.com/preview.
>>
>> On 03/28/2017 06:22 PM, Joseph Niemiec wrote:
>>
>>> Can you please also update the Nifi Version in your parent pom as well to
>>> 1.1.1 like your attempting to run on, its currently set for 1.0.0.
>>>
>>> <properties><nifi.version>*1.0.0*
>>>
>>> </nifi.version><slf4j.version>1.7.21</slf4j.version><junit.v
>>> ersion>4.12</junit.version><maven.install.skip>true</maven.
>>> install.skip><maven.deploy.skip>true</maven.deploy.skip><
>>> code.root>..</code.root></properties>
>>>
>>> <properties><nifi.version>1.0.0</nifi.version><slf4j.version
>>> maven.install.skip>true</maven.install.skip><maven.
>>> deploy.skip>true</maven.deploy.skip><code.root>..</code.
>>> root></properties>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Joseph Niemiec <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So once deployed my UI also does not display anything. So I dug deeper

Re: Processor missing when attempting Add Processor

Russell Bateman-2
With these changes, I'm still not seeing /TikaProcessor/ in the list.

12