RE: Lowering the barrier to entry

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Lowering the barrier to entry

Ryan Withers
Hello Nifi Community, 

  I owe a couple people responses for a welcome to the community.  I made a mistake and sent the mailing list a question before being signed up to the list itself, LOL.  So instead of replying to the messages directly I figured I would thank Andy Lopresto, Kevin Doran, and Matt Burgess for their respective messages welcoming me to the project.   

  I have spent time re-reading some of the thread "Lowering the Barrier to entry" this afternoon.  I concur with many of the sentiments that the documentation is great, there is however a lot of it.  Also on a personal front I struggled with eclipse, but the eclipse tools are a bit out of date in this regard.  The m2eclipse plugin has many dependencies that are really challenging to navigate when setting up the eclipse IDE.  I've actually been looking for an excuse to adopt intellij (looks like I found it).  I didn't have any trouble building the project on the command line or within the intellij IDE.  I have also generated a processor and a controller service using the maven archetypes without any issue.  I still have a long way to go with learning Nifi, but I'm excited by its potential and I am learning more every day. 

  At the company I work for we've been working on a process we're calling Human Centered Agile, and as you might guess it puts the user first.  There is a technique that our Human Centered Designers use called card sorting.  You can watch a short video about card sorting here: https://www.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort.  I have tried to pull out what I thought were the main ideas of Nifi into a gsheet to which you can request access here: 


I have two questions: 

1. Would the community want to go through a card sorting exercise?  If so I'm happy to provide access to the optimal sort tool.  

2. Have I captured what everyone believes to be the main ideas?  I'm very interested in making sure the list is complete.  (attached as pdf or available via the gsheet link above)

Assuming the list is complete with the big ideas then I will make a pass at creating definitions.  Using the big ideas along with the definitions the goal of the card sort would be to figure out the relationships of the data and determine an overall information architecture from those relationships to help create a site structure that flows more intuitively.  Everybody's efforts at sorting the information will create data / insights that will reveal relationships between the data that can then be used to guide us toward an optimal organization of the data.  

Looking forward, 

--
Ryan Withers
Senior Software Developer / Analyst

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanwithers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lowering the barrier to entry

Mike Thomsen
> Also on a personal front I struggled with eclipse, but the eclipse tools
are a bit out of date in this regard.  The m2eclipse plugin has many
dependencies that are really challenging to navigate when setting up the
eclipse IDE.

I would strongly recommend trying it with IntelliJ IDEA. I've been a paid
user for a few years now (there is a community version with fewer
features), and can't recommend it enough over Eclipse for reasons like
this. Officially, we probably don't want to risk a religious war over IDE
choice, but I would personally recommend you fire up IDEA. I think you'll
find it drops the barrier to entry substantially here because its Maven
support is incredibly solid and deeply built-in.


On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 7:04 PM Ryan Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Nifi Community,
>
>   I owe a couple people responses for a welcome to the community.  I made
> a mistake and sent the mailing list a question before being signed up to
> the list itself, LOL.  So instead of replying to the messages directly I
> figured I would thank Andy Lopresto, Kevin Doran, and Matt Burgess for
> their respective messages welcoming me to the project.
>
>   I have spent time re-reading some of the thread "Lowering the Barrier to
> entry" this afternoon.  I concur with many of the sentiments that the
> documentation is great, there is however a lot of it.  Also on a personal
> front I struggled with eclipse, but the eclipse tools are a bit out of date
> in this regard.  The m2eclipse plugin has many dependencies that are really
> challenging to navigate when setting up the eclipse IDE.  I've actually
> been looking for an excuse to adopt intellij (looks like I found it).  I
> didn't have any trouble building the project on the command line or within
> the intellij IDE.  I have also generated a processor and a controller
> service using the maven archetypes without any issue.  I still have a long
> way to go with learning Nifi, but I'm excited by its potential and I am
> learning more every day.
>
>   At the company I work for we've been working on a process we're calling
> Human Centered Agile, and as you might guess it puts the user first.  There
> is a technique that our Human Centered Designers use called card sorting.
> You can watch a short video about card sorting here:
> https://www.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort.  I have tried to pull out
> what I thought were the main ideas of Nifi into a gsheet to which you can
> request access here:
>
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XEVL5LOgspNJ5BOb5sbf38SxbaY3Dj5oolHJ8ECO2MI/edit?usp=sharing.
> There is a pdf of the same attached.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Would the community want to go through a card sorting exercise?  If so
> I'm happy to provide access to the optimal sort tool.
>
> 2. Have I captured what everyone believes to be the main ideas?  I'm very
> interested in making sure the list is complete.  (attached as pdf or
> available via the gsheet link above)
>
> Assuming the list is complete with the big ideas then I will make a pass
> at creating definitions.  Using the big ideas along with the definitions
> the goal of the card sort would be to figure out the relationships of the
> data and determine an overall information architecture from those
> relationships to help create a site structure that flows more intuitively.
> Everybody's efforts at sorting the information will create data / insights
> that will reveal relationships between the data that can then be used to
> guide us toward an optimal organization of the data.
>
> Looking forward,
>
> --
> Ryan Withers
> Senior Software Developer / Analyst
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanwithers
>