Renaming NiFi-Fn to Stateless NiFi

Samuel Hjelmfelt

Hi Everyone,

If there are no objections, I would like to rename NiFi-Fn to Stateless NiFi. This is more intuitive for the uninitiated and makes it easier to differentiate the FaaS use cases from other use cases (e.g. long-running stateless flows).

Originally, it was called MagNiFi to draw the comparison to MiNiFi, but the name had to be changed due to a trademark. NiFi-Fn was a reasonable fit given opportunity for FaaS, but it has been leading to confusion given that there are other places that we could use it. Long running processes in particular do not feel like functions (even if they technically are).

From a code perspective, I would just change the directory to "nifi-stateless" and class names from "FnProcessSession" to "StatelessProcessSession" for example.

-Sam

Re: Renaming NiFi-Fn to Stateless NiFi

Joe Witt
makes sense to me

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 5:14 PM Samuel Hjelmfelt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> If there are no objections, I would like to rename NiFi-Fn to Stateless
> NiFi. This is more intuitive for the uninitiated and makes it easier to
> differentiate the FaaS use cases from other use cases (e.g. long-running
> stateless flows).
>

> Originally, it was called MagNiFi to draw the comparison to MiNiFi, but
> the name had to be changed due to a trademark. NiFi-Fn was a reasonable fit
> given opportunity for FaaS, but it has been leading to confusion given that
> there are other places that we could use it. Long running processes in
> particular do not feel like functions (even if they technically are).
>

> From a code perspective, I would just change the directory to
> "nifi-stateless" and class names from "FnProcessSession" to
> "StatelessProcessSession" for example.
>

> -Sam

Re: Renaming NiFi-Fn to Stateless NiFi

Pierre Villard
Sounds good to me and agree that it makes more sense!