Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Matt Gilman
I sent out an email a couple nights ago but I'm afraid it may have been
lost in the shuffle. Aldrin and I have continued working the website
redesign. It can be previewed here though the links are still nonfunctional:

http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/v2/

What I've done uses a number of tools (grunt, assemble, bower, etc) to
actually build the site. I believe the Apache CMS tool will be CMing the
resulting site. Where do other Apache projects CM the actual development
artifacts for their sites? I did find another Apache project with a similar
set up:

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site

and they appear to have a separate repository for there site. Should I be
requesting another repository for this? Or should I just add it to the
existing incubator-nifi and have a top level folder for the site (e.g.
nifi-site)?

Thanks.

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

I think the v2 design looks quite nice.  Regarding the repository I think
I'm a little unclear on your proposal.  Is it this:

- The source material for the Apache NiFi site will be kept in our
incubator-nifi Git repository in a top-level folder called nifi-site which
would live along side 'nifi' and 'nifi-nar-maven-plugin'
- The resulting build artifacts of the site source material will be kept in
our existing SVN repo and served up via the Apache CMS capabililty
- There will be scripts we can execute which live perhaps in the Git
nifi-site directory tree which will enable us to push the build artifacts
to CMS and then we can publish from CMS

Please confirm or adjust as needed.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I sent out an email a couple nights ago but I'm afraid it may have been
> lost in the shuffle. Aldrin and I have continued working the website
> redesign. It can be previewed here though the links are still
> nonfunctional:
>
> http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/v2/
>
> What I've done uses a number of tools (grunt, assemble, bower, etc) to
> actually build the site. I believe the Apache CMS tool will be CMing the
> resulting site. Where do other Apache projects CM the actual development
> artifacts for their sites? I did find another Apache project with a similar
> set up:
>
> https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site
>
> and they appear to have a separate repository for there site. Should I be
> requesting another repository for this? Or should I just add it to the
> existing incubator-nifi and have a top level folder for the site (e.g.
> nifi-site)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Matt

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Matt Gilman
What you have described is what I'm suggesting. Though I am not sure what
role the Apache CMS tool would play in this lifecycle. It seems to provide
a front end for using subversion. The only part I am unsure is the Publish
Site action. If anyone has experience here please chime in. Is simply
committing to our project's site content sufficient to kick off publishing
the site or would that just stage everything?

Matt

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt
>
> I think the v2 design looks quite nice.  Regarding the repository I think
> I'm a little unclear on your proposal.  Is it this:
>
> - The source material for the Apache NiFi site will be kept in our
> incubator-nifi Git repository in a top-level folder called nifi-site which
> would live along side 'nifi' and 'nifi-nar-maven-plugin'
> - The resulting build artifacts of the site source material will be kept in
> our existing SVN repo and served up via the Apache CMS capabililty
> - There will be scripts we can execute which live perhaps in the Git
> nifi-site directory tree which will enable us to push the build artifacts
> to CMS and then we can publish from CMS
>
> Please confirm or adjust as needed.

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I sent out an email a couple nights ago but I'm afraid it may have been
> > lost in the shuffle. Aldrin and I have continued working the website
> > redesign. It can be previewed here though the links are still
> > nonfunctional:
> >
> > http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/v2/
> >
> > What I've done uses a number of tools (grunt, assemble, bower, etc) to
> > actually build the site. I believe the Apache CMS tool will be CMing the
> > resulting site. Where do other Apache projects CM the actual development
> > artifacts for their sites? I did find another Apache project with a
> similar
> > set up:
> >
> > https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site
> >
> > and they appear to have a separate repository for there site. Should I be
> > requesting another repository for this? Or should I just add it to the
> > existing incubator-nifi and have a top level folder for the site (e.g.
> > nifi-site)?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Matt

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Joe Witt
I *think* it just stages it.  Then through CMS you 'publish'.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What you have described is what I'm suggesting. Though I am not sure what
> role the Apache CMS tool would play in this lifecycle. It seems to provide
> a front end for using subversion. The only part I am unsure is the Publish
> Site action. If anyone has experience here please chime in. Is simply
> committing to our project's site content sufficient to kick off publishing
> the site or would that just stage everything?
>
> Matt
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Matt
> >
> > I think the v2 design looks quite nice.  Regarding the repository I think
> > I'm a little unclear on your proposal.  Is it this:
> >
> > - The source material for the Apache NiFi site will be kept in our
> > incubator-nifi Git repository in a top-level folder called nifi-site
> which
> > would live along side 'nifi' and 'nifi-nar-maven-plugin'
> > - The resulting build artifacts of the site source material will be kept
> in
> > our existing SVN repo and served up via the Apache CMS capabililty
> > - There will be scripts we can execute which live perhaps in the Git
> > nifi-site directory tree which will enable us to push the build artifacts
> > to CMS and then we can publish from CMS
> >
> > Please confirm or adjust as needed.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joe
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I sent out an email a couple nights ago but I'm afraid it may have been
> > > lost in the shuffle. Aldrin and I have continued working the website
> > > redesign. It can be previewed here though the links are still
> > > nonfunctional:
> > >
> > > http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/v2/
> > >
> > > What I've done uses a number of tools (grunt, assemble, bower, etc) to
> > > actually build the site. I believe the Apache CMS tool will be CMing
> the
> > > resulting site. Where do other Apache projects CM the actual
> development
> > > artifacts for their sites? I did find another Apache project with a
> > similar
> > > set up:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site
> > >
> > > and they appear to have a separate repository for there site. Should I
> be
> > > requesting another repository for this? Or should I just add it to the
> > > existing incubator-nifi and have a top level folder for the site (e.g.
> > > nifi-site)?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Matt

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Aldrin Piri
I believe you have to request a special hook for handling your deployment
if you go out of the CMS deploy tool itself as per the ASF CMS website:
http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#external

It seems as though it is supported but needs some configuration.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I *think* it just stages it.  Then through CMS you 'publish'.
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > What you have described is what I'm suggesting. Though I am not sure what
> > role the Apache CMS tool would play in this lifecycle. It seems to
> provide
> > a front end for using subversion. The only part I am unsure is the
> Publish
> > Site action. If anyone has experience here please chime in. Is simply
> > committing to our project's site content sufficient to kick off
> publishing
> > the site or would that just stage everything?
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Matt
> > >
> > > I think the v2 design looks quite nice.  Regarding the repository I
> think
> > > I'm a little unclear on your proposal.  Is it this:
> > >
> > > - The source material for the Apache NiFi site will be kept in our
> > > incubator-nifi Git repository in a top-level folder called nifi-site
> > which
> > > would live along side 'nifi' and 'nifi-nar-maven-plugin'
> > > - The resulting build artifacts of the site source material will be
> kept
> > in
> > > our existing SVN repo and served up via the Apache CMS capabililty
> > > - There will be scripts we can execute which live perhaps in the Git
> > > nifi-site directory tree which will enable us to push the build
> artifacts
> > > to CMS and then we can publish from CMS
> > >
> > > Please confirm or adjust as needed.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Joe

> been

> > the
> > development
> > > similar

> > be
> the
> (e.g.

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Joe Witt
Matt, Aldrin,

Take a look here: http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org/

I think their top menu bar does look quite nice even though it spans beyond
the body.  In short, i think i was wrong suggesting otherwise.  What do you
think?  Also their menubar behaves nicely with regards to the dropdown and
transition to other tabs.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe you have to request a special hook for handling your deployment
> if you go out of the CMS deploy tool itself as per the ASF CMS website:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#external
>
> It seems as though it is supported but needs some configuration.
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I *think* it just stages it.  Then through CMS you 'publish'.
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > What you have described is what I'm suggesting. Though I am not sure
> what
> > > role the Apache CMS tool would play in this lifecycle. It seems to
> > provide
> > > a front end for using subversion. The only part I am unsure is the
> > Publish
> > > Site action. If anyone has experience here please chime in. Is simply
> > > committing to our project's site content sufficient to kick off
> > publishing
> > > the site or would that just stage everything?
> > >
> > > Matt

> > think

> > > which
> > kept
> > > in
> > artifacts

> [hidden email]>

> > been
> website

> CMing
> > > the
> > > development

> Should
> > > be
> > the
> > (e.g.

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Matt Gilman
Their top menu has the same issue as our did with staying open when
clicked. However, this is a known issue with foundation that I assume will
be addressed at some point. Reverting back to this behavior is trivial.

Personally, I prefer the menu items the same width as the content as I
think it looks better on large (wide) monitors and is identical on smaller
monitors where the content spans the entire width.

Assuming we're good with the existing site content, I'll pull down the
existing Markdown files and integrate them in the new site.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt, Aldrin,
>
> Take a look here: http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org/
>
> I think their top menu bar does look quite nice even though it spans beyond
> the body.  In short, i think i was wrong suggesting otherwise.  What do you
> think?  Also their menubar behaves nicely with regards to the dropdown and
> transition to other tabs.

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I believe you have to request a special hook for handling your deployment
> > if you go out of the CMS deploy tool itself as per the ASF CMS website:
> > http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#external
> >
> > It seems as though it is supported but needs some configuration.
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I *think* it just stages it.  Then through CMS you 'publish'.

> > what
> > > provide
> > > Publish
> > > publishing

> > > think

> nifi-site
> > > kept
> Git
> > > artifacts

> > [hidden email]>

> have
> > > been
> > website

> etc)
> > CMing
> with a

> > Should
> > > the
> > > (e.g.

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Joe Witt
Understood - thanks.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:44 AM, Matt Gilman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Their top menu has the same issue as our did with staying open when
> clicked. However, this is a known issue with foundation that I assume will
> be addressed at some point. Reverting back to this behavior is trivial.
>
> Personally, I prefer the menu items the same width as the content as I
> think it looks better on large (wide) monitors and is identical on smaller
> monitors where the content spans the entire width.
>
> Assuming we're good with the existing site content, I'll pull down the
> existing Markdown files and integrate them in the new site.
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Matt, Aldrin,
> >
> > Take a look here: http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org/
> >
> > I think their top menu bar does look quite nice even though it spans
> beyond
> > the body.  In short, i think i was wrong suggesting otherwise.  What do
> you
> > think?  Also their menubar behaves nicely with regards to the dropdown
> and
> > transition to other tabs.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joe
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I believe you have to request a special hook for handling your
> deployment
> > > if you go out of the CMS deploy tool itself as per the ASF CMS website:
> > > http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#external
> > >
> > > It seems as though it is supported but needs some configuration.

> [hidden email]

> sure
> > > what
> simply

> repository I

> our
> > nifi-site
> be
> capabililty
> > Git

> > > [hidden email]>

> > have
> > > website

> > etc)
> > > CMing
> > with a

> > > Should
> site

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Jennifer Barnabee
Matt,
I never got any feedback on the content I proposed. I would ask for one
small tweak, though... Could we change the last bullet just slightly to:

   - Security: Supports various forms of SSL, SSH, HTTPS for
   system-to-system flows and content encryption/decryption; also supports
   SSL, PKI, pluggable authorization for users.

It might also be good to include a link to the overview at the end of the
text.

Cheers,

Jenn

wrote:

> Their top menu has the same issue as our did with staying open when
> clicked. However, this is a known issue with foundation that I assume will
> be addressed at some point. Reverting back to this behavior is trivial.
>
> Personally, I prefer the menu items the same width as the content as I
> think it looks better on large (wide) monitors and is identical on smaller
> monitors where the content spans the entire width.
>
> Assuming we're good with the existing site content, I'll pull down the
> existing Markdown files and integrate them in the new site.
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Matt, Aldrin,
> >
> > Take a look here: http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org/
> >
> > I think their top menu bar does look quite nice even though it spans
> beyond
> > the body.  In short, i think i was wrong suggesting otherwise.  What do
> you
> > think?  Also their menubar behaves nicely with regards to the dropdown
> and
> > transition to other tabs.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joe
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I believe you have to request a special hook for handling your
> deployment
> > > if you go out of the CMS deploy tool itself as per the ASF CMS website:
> > > http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#external
> > >
> > > It seems as though it is supported but needs some configuration.

> [hidden email]

> sure
> > > what
> simply

> repository I

> our
> > nifi-site
> be
> capabililty
> > Git

> > > [hidden email]>

> > have
> > > website

> > etc)
> > > CMing
> > with a

> > > Should
> site

Re: Repository for Apache NiFi Website

Matt Gilman
Sorry Jenn,

Still trying to get everything figured out. Will look to incorporate your
suggestions soon. Thanks.

Matt