Support for JDK 11

Mike Thomsen
I know there's a lot of work in progress here, but how far along are we to
the point where users can build and deploy NiFi on JDK 11?

I'm more than happy to jump in and help on reviews and making changes to
move forward. Any chance we can push this for 1.10?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Support for JDK 11

Jeff
Mike,

Due to other commitments, work on building NiFi on Java 11 was
de-prioritized, temporarily.  I'm picking up where I left off.  Here's a
short list of where we're at:
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-5820 for running NiFi on Java
11 that was built with Java 8.  I need to rebase the PR [1] on master,
though.
* My branch with the updated POMs and code compiles on Java 11, but some of
the tests are failing.  There are more code changes I need to make, among
them developing/integrating a replacement for dropwizard's JVM metrics
library, in which the version that can run on Java 9+ no longer has the
VirtualMachineMetrics class that some of our reporting tasks use.

I think it's close to being able to open a WIP PR so that live testing can
start, but I'd like some more time to at least get the remaining unit tests
passing.

[1] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3174

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 8:43 AM Mike Thomsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know there's a lot of work in progress here, but how far along are we to
> the point where users can build and deploy NiFi on JDK 11?
>
> I'm more than happy to jump in and help on reviews and making changes to
> move forward. Any chance we can push this for 1.10?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Re: Support for JDK 11

Mike Thomsen
Thanks. Feel free to break off chunks of the work and ping me to see where
we can divide and conquer on this.