[VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

12

[VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Bryan Bende
All,

Following a solid discussion for the past few days [1] regarding the
establishment of Registry as a sub-project of Apache NiFi, I'd like to
call a formal vote to record this important community decision and
establish consensus.

The scope of this project is to define APIs for interacting with
resources that one or more NiFi instances may be interested in, such
as a flow registry for versioned flows, an extension registry for
extensions, and possibly other configuration resources in the future.
In addition, this project will provide reference implementations of
these registries, with the goal of allowing the community to build a
diverse set of implementations, such as a Git provider for versioned
flows, or a bintray provider for an extension registry.

I am a +1 and looking forward to the future work in this area.

The vote will be open for 72 hours and be a majority rule vote.

[ ] +1 Establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
[ ]   0 Do not care
[ ]  -1 Do not establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi

Thanks,

Bryan

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.mbox/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Marc Parisi
+1  non-binding -- but I think creating a sub project creates a demarcation
point that separates responsibilities in a way that makes sense.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> Following a solid discussion for the past few days [1] regarding the
> establishment of Registry as a sub-project of Apache NiFi, I'd like to
> call a formal vote to record this important community decision and
> establish consensus.
>
> The scope of this project is to define APIs for interacting with
> resources that one or more NiFi instances may be interested in, such
> as a flow registry for versioned flows, an extension registry for
> extensions, and possibly other configuration resources in the future.
> In addition, this project will provide reference implementations of
> these registries, with the goal of allowing the community to build a
> diverse set of implementations, such as a Git provider for versioned
> flows, or a bintray provider for an extension registry.
>
> I am a +1 and looking forward to the future work in this area.
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours and be a majority rule vote.
>
> [ ] +1 Establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
> [ ]   0 Do not care
> [ ]  -1 Do not establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan
>
> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.mbo
> x/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%4
> 0mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Matt Gilman
+1 binding

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Marc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1  non-binding -- but I think creating a sub project creates a demarcation
> point that separates responsibilities in a way that makes sense.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Following a solid discussion for the past few days [1] regarding the
> > establishment of Registry as a sub-project of Apache NiFi, I'd like to
> > call a formal vote to record this important community decision and
> > establish consensus.
> >
> > The scope of this project is to define APIs for interacting with
> > resources that one or more NiFi instances may be interested in, such
> > as a flow registry for versioned flows, an extension registry for
> > extensions, and possibly other configuration resources in the future.
> > In addition, this project will provide reference implementations of
> > these registries, with the goal of allowing the community to build a
> > diverse set of implementations, such as a Git provider for versioned
> > flows, or a bintray provider for an extension registry.
> >
> > I am a +1 and looking forward to the future work in this area.
> >
> > The vote will be open for 72 hours and be a majority rule vote.
> >
> > [ ] +1 Establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
> > [ ]   0 Do not care
> > [ ]  -1 Do not establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bryan
> >
> > [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.mbo
> > x/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%4
> > 0mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Matt Burgess-2
+1 binding

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> Following a solid discussion for the past few days [1] regarding the
> establishment of Registry as a sub-project of Apache NiFi, I'd like to
> call a formal vote to record this important community decision and
> establish consensus.
>
> The scope of this project is to define APIs for interacting with
> resources that one or more NiFi instances may be interested in, such
> as a flow registry for versioned flows, an extension registry for
> extensions, and possibly other configuration resources in the future.
> In addition, this project will provide reference implementations of
> these registries, with the goal of allowing the community to build a
> diverse set of implementations, such as a Git provider for versioned
> flows, or a bintray provider for an extension registry.
>
> I am a +1 and looking forward to the future work in this area.
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours and be a majority rule vote.
>
> [ ] +1 Establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
> [ ]   0 Do not care
> [ ]  -1 Do not establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan
>
> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.mbox/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Jeremy Dyer
+1 non-binding. I like the separation and I see a lot of need for this in
the community.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Matt Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 binding
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Following a solid discussion for the past few days [1] regarding the
> > establishment of Registry as a sub-project of Apache NiFi, I'd like to
> > call a formal vote to record this important community decision and
> > establish consensus.
> >
> > The scope of this project is to define APIs for interacting with
> > resources that one or more NiFi instances may be interested in, such
> > as a flow registry for versioned flows, an extension registry for
> > extensions, and possibly other configuration resources in the future.
> > In addition, this project will provide reference implementations of
> > these registries, with the goal of allowing the community to build a
> > diverse set of implementations, such as a Git provider for versioned
> > flows, or a bintray provider for an extension registry.
> >
> > I am a +1 and looking forward to the future work in this area.
> >
> > The vote will be open for 72 hours and be a majority rule vote.
> >
> > [ ] +1 Establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
> > [ ]   0 Do not care
> > [ ]  -1 Do not establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bryan
> >
> > [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.
> mbox/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.
> gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Oleg Zhurakousky
+1 Here as well. We desperately need it.

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 12:11 PM, Jeremy Dyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 non-binding. I like the separation and I see a lot of need for this in
> the community.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Matt Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 binding
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Following a solid discussion for the past few days [1] regarding the
>>> establishment of Registry as a sub-project of Apache NiFi, I'd like to
>>> call a formal vote to record this important community decision and
>>> establish consensus.
>>>
>>> The scope of this project is to define APIs for interacting with
>>> resources that one or more NiFi instances may be interested in, such
>>> as a flow registry for versioned flows, an extension registry for
>>> extensions, and possibly other configuration resources in the future.
>>> In addition, this project will provide reference implementations of
>>> these registries, with the goal of allowing the community to build a
>>> diverse set of implementations, such as a Git provider for versioned
>>> flows, or a bintray provider for an extension registry.
>>>
>>> I am a +1 and looking forward to the future work in this area.
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours and be a majority rule vote.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
>>> [ ]   0 Do not care
>>> [ ]  -1 Do not establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bryan
>>>
>>> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.
>> mbox/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.
>> gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Michael Moser
I am in favor of the concept but the name made me pause.  I did a Google
search of "apache registry" and found an existing Perl module called
Apache::Registry.  Should I be worried about potential naming confusion?

-- Mike

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Oleg Zhurakousky <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 Here as well. We desperately need it.
>
> > On Feb 10, 2017, at 12:11 PM, Jeremy Dyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 non-binding. I like the separation and I see a lot of need for this in
> > the community.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Matt Burgess <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 binding

> >> mbox/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.
> >> gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Joe Percivall-2
I 100% agree with Mike and was actually in the process of writing a very
similar response. Just having "Registry" as the name will mean the
trademark will be "Apache Registry" and I don't think that conveys the
specificity of the sub-project. I'd much prefer something like NiFi
Registry like the initial discussion had.

Joe

--
*Joe Percivall*
linkedin.com/in/Percivall
e: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Bryan Bende
Well using MiNiFi as an example...

Website - "MiNiFi - A subproject of Apache NiFi"
Git - "nifi-minifi.git"
JIRA - "Apache NiFi MiNiFi"

For Registry I was thinking...

Website - "Registry - A subproject of Apache NiFi"
Git - "nifi-registry.git"
JIRA "Apache NiFi Registry"

So I didn't think there was a case where it would be referred to as
only "Apache Registry", but if sub-project names are trademarked on
their own then I do agree we would likely have to call it "NiFi
Registry".

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Joe Percivall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I 100% agree with Mike and was actually in the process of writing a very
> similar response. Just having "Registry" as the name will mean the
> trademark will be "Apache Registry" and I don't think that conveys the
> specificity of the sub-project. I'd much prefer something like NiFi
> Registry like the initial discussion had.
>

> Joe
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Michael Moser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am in favor of the concept but the name made me pause.  I did a Google
>> search of "apache registry" and found an existing Perl module called
>> Apache::Registry.  Should I be worried about potential naming confusion?
>>
>> -- Mike
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Oleg Zhurakousky <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > +1 Here as well. We desperately need it.

>> in

> --
> *Joe Percivall*
> linkedin.com/in/Percivall
> e: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Joe Witt
The name 'registry' is insufficient but we're not creating 'Apache
Registry'.  We're creating a subproject of 'Apache NiFi' which is a
TLP of the ASF.  This subproject, just like 'MiNiFi' would properly be
referred to as 'Registry: a subproject of Apache NiFi' or 'Apache NiFi
Registry'.  Apache NiFi Registry works out quite well to explain both
what it is an to be consistent with the marks.  See here for an
example of this guidance from ASF naming/marks guidance [1].

I view this vote as actually being about the community decision to
create this subproject with the stated goals and in that perspective I
am a strong +1.  I'm open to alternative names though I do think
"Apache NiFi Registry" is nice and descriptive.

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/project-names.html

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well using MiNiFi as an example...
>
> Website - "MiNiFi - A subproject of Apache NiFi"
> Git - "nifi-minifi.git"
> JIRA - "Apache NiFi MiNiFi"
>
> For Registry I was thinking...
>
> Website - "Registry - A subproject of Apache NiFi"
> Git - "nifi-registry.git"
> JIRA "Apache NiFi Registry"
>
> So I didn't think there was a case where it would be referred to as
> only "Apache Registry", but if sub-project names are trademarked on
> their own then I do agree we would likely have to call it "NiFi
> Registry".
>

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Joe Percivall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I 100% agree with Mike and was actually in the process of writing a very
>> similar response. Just having "Registry" as the name will mean the
>> trademark will be "Apache Registry" and I don't think that conveys the
>> specificity of the sub-project. I'd much prefer something like NiFi
>> Registry like the initial discussion had.
>>

>> Joe
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Michael Moser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am in favor of the concept but the name made me pause.  I did a Google
>>> search of "apache registry" and found an existing Perl module called
>>> Apache::Registry.  Should I be worried about potential naming confusion?
>>>
>>> -- Mike

>>> in

>> --
>> *Joe Percivall*
>> linkedin.com/in/Percivall
>> e: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Pierre Villard
+1 as well, that will be a very important piece of the ecosystem and
looking forward its development!

> The name 'registry' is insufficient but we're not creating 'Apache
> Registry'.  We're creating a subproject of 'Apache NiFi' which is a
> TLP of the ASF.  This subproject, just like 'MiNiFi' would properly be
> referred to as 'Registry: a subproject of Apache NiFi' or 'Apache NiFi
> Registry'.  Apache NiFi Registry works out quite well to explain both
> what it is an to be consistent with the marks.  See here for an
> example of this guidance from ASF naming/marks guidance [1].
>
> I view this vote as actually being about the community decision to
> create this subproject with the stated goals and in that perspective I
> am a strong +1.  I'm open to alternative names though I do think
> "Apache NiFi Registry" is nice and descriptive.
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/project-names.html

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Well using MiNiFi as an example...
> >
> > Website - "MiNiFi - A subproject of Apache NiFi"
> > Git - "nifi-minifi.git"
> > JIRA - "Apache NiFi MiNiFi"
> >
> > For Registry I was thinking...
> >
> > Website - "Registry - A subproject of Apache NiFi"
> > Git - "nifi-registry.git"
> > JIRA "Apache NiFi Registry"
> >
> > So I didn't think there was a case where it would be referred to as
> > only "Apache Registry", but if sub-project names are trademarked on
> > their own then I do agree we would likely have to call it "NiFi
> > Registry".
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Joe Percivall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> I 100% agree with Mike and was actually in the process of writing a very
> >> similar response. Just having "Registry" as the name will mean the
> >> trademark will be "Apache Registry" and I don't think that conveys the
> >> specificity of the sub-project. I'd much prefer something like NiFi
> >> Registry like the initial discussion had.
> >>

> >> Joe

> Google
> confusion?

> this

> [hidden email]>

> the
> like
> and

> such
> future.
> of
> build a
> versioned

> TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.
> >>> > >>

> >> --
> >> *Joe Percivall*
> >> linkedin.com/in/Percivall
> >> e: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Joe Percivall-2
Thanks for the clarification Joe and Bryan, and we appear to be on the same
page that "Apache NiFi Registry" is how it would be referred to.

With that cleared up, I am a +1.

Joe

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Pierre Villard <[hidden email]

--
*Joe Percivall*
linkedin.com/in/Percivall
e: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Michael Moser
It definitely sounds like careful consideration was given to the name.

+1 (non-binding)

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Joe Percivall <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification Joe and Bryan, and we appear to be on the same
> page that "Apache NiFi Registry" is how it would be referred to.
>
> With that cleared up, I am a +1.
>
> Joe
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Pierre Villard <
>
> > +1 as well, that will be a very important piece of the ecosystem and
> > looking forward its development!

> > > The name 'registry' is insufficient but we're not creating 'Apache
> > > Registry'.  We're creating a subproject of 'Apache NiFi' which is a
> > > TLP of the ASF.  This subproject, just like 'MiNiFi' would properly be
> > > referred to as 'Registry: a subproject of Apache NiFi' or 'Apache NiFi
> > > Registry'.  Apache NiFi Registry works out quite well to explain both
> > > what it is an to be consistent with the marks.  See here for an
> > > example of this guidance from ASF naming/marks guidance [1].
> > >
> > > I view this vote as actually being about the community decision to
> > > create this subproject with the stated goals and in that perspective I
> > > am a strong +1.  I'm open to alternative names though I do think
> > > "Apache NiFi Registry" is nice and descriptive.
> > >
> > > [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/project-names.html
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Joe

> [hidden email]

> > very
> the

> > > Google
> called
> > > confusion?

> for
> > > this

> > > [hidden email]>

> [hidden email]

> > regarding
> > > the
> I'd
> > > like
> decision
> > > and

> > with
> in,
> > > such
> > for
> > > future.
> > implementations
> > > of
> > > build a
> > > versioned

> area.

> vote.

> NiFi

> .
> > > TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.

> --
> *Joe Percivall*
> linkedin.com/in/Percivall
> e: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Joe Gresock
+1 (non-binding)

--
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do
all this through him who gives me strength.    *-Philippians 4:12-13*

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Yolanda Davis
+1 (non-binding)

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> Following a solid discussion for the past few days [1] regarding the
> establishment of Registry as a sub-project of Apache NiFi, I'd like to
> call a formal vote to record this important community decision and
> establish consensus.
>
> The scope of this project is to define APIs for interacting with
> resources that one or more NiFi instances may be interested in, such
> as a flow registry for versioned flows, an extension registry for
> extensions, and possibly other configuration resources in the future.
> In addition, this project will provide reference implementations of
> these registries, with the goal of allowing the community to build a
> diverse set of implementations, such as a Git provider for versioned
> flows, or a bintray provider for an extension registry.
>
> I am a +1 and looking forward to the future work in this area.
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours and be a majority rule vote.
>
> [ ] +1 Establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
> [ ]   0 Do not care
> [ ]  -1 Do not establish Registry, a subproject of Apache NiFi
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan
>
> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.mbox/%3CCALo_
> M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

@YolandaMDavis

RE: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Peter Wicks (pwicks)
+1 (non-binding)

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201702.mbox/%3CCALo_M19euo2LLy0PVWmE70FzeLhQRcCtX6TC%3DqoiBVfn4zFQMA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Establish Registry, a sub-project of Apache NiFi

Joe Skora
+1 binding

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Peter Wicks (pwicks) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)

Jennifer Barnabee
+1 binding

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 2:55 PM, Joe Skora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 binding
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Peter Wicks (pwicks) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 (non-binding)

Koji Kawamura
+1 (non-binding)

On Feb 11, 2017 5:37 AM, "Jennifer Barnabee" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

+1 binding

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 2:55 PM, Joe Skora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 binding
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Peter Wicks (pwicks) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 (non-binding)

Uwe@Moosheimer.com
+1 (non-binding)