[VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Jeff-2
Hello,

I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of Apache NiFi
nifi-1.4.0.

The source zip, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110

The Git tag is nifi-1.4.0-RC1
The Git commit ID is 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=nifi.git;a=commit;h=466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539

Checksums of nifi-1.4.0-source-release.zip:
MD5: 9862f59ad1bfa12f2ce041e4c69b1c93
SHA1: 3e2d0dcf0a83df5336a2962fbf6f10c3ae61c588

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/jstorck.asc

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS

8 issues were closed/resolved for this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12340589

Release note highlights can be found here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version-1.4.0

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
including checking hashes, signatures, build
from source, and test.  The please vote:

[ ] +1 Release this package as nifi-1.4.0
[ ] +0 no opinion

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Jeff
There is an error in my previous email.  192 issues were closed and
resolved for this release.

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 9:11 PM Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of Apache NiFi
> nifi-1.4.0.
>
> The source zip, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110
>
> The Git tag is nifi-1.4.0-RC1
> The Git commit ID is 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=nifi.git;a=commit;h=466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
>
> Checksums of nifi-1.4.0-source-release.zip:
> MD5: 9862f59ad1bfa12f2ce041e4c69b1c93
> SHA1: 3e2d0dcf0a83df5336a2962fbf6f10c3ae61c588

> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/jstorck.asc
>
> KEYS file available here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS
>
> 8 issues were closed/resolved for this release:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12340589
>
> Release note highlights can be found here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version-1.4.0
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
> Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
> including checking hashes, signatures, build
> from source, and test.  The please vote:
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as nifi-1.4.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Richard St. John
-1 non-binding.

There are duplicate lookup services registered and it’s causing issues upgrading from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0.  It seems to be related to the mongo lookup service.

Rick.

--
Richard St. John, PhD
Asymmetrik

On Sep 24, 2017, 9:15 PM -0400, Jeff <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

Joe Witt
-1 (binding) based on what Rick ran into.

Otherwise though the release is looking good.  I'm running through a
series of tests now and things going well.

Rick,
I agree there are duplicate controller services and sourced to the
mongo system. And we must fix/remove those.

However, the issue for upgrading is one I'd like to better understand.
What is the problem you're seeing?  It is not required that controller
services have unique class names.  The requirement is that the
artifact/coordinate is unique across the class name/extension
bundle/version.  So lets figure out why this is actually breaking you.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Richard St. John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1 non-binding.
>
> There are duplicate lookup services registered and it’s causing issues
> upgrading from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0.  It seems to be related to the mongo lookup
> service.
>
> Rick.
>
> --
> Richard St. John, PhD
> Asymmetrik
> 141 National Business Pkwy, Suite 110
> Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
>
> On Sep 24, 2017, 9:15 PM -0400, Jeff <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>
> There is an error in my previous email. 192 issues were closed and
> resolved for this release.
>
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 9:11 PM Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of Apache NiFi
> nifi-1.4.0.
>
> The source zip, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110
>
> The Git tag is nifi-1.4.0-RC1
> The Git commit ID is 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=nifi.git;a=commit;h=466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
>
> Checksums of nifi-1.4.0-source-release.zip:
> MD5: 9862f59ad1bfa12f2ce041e4c69b1c93
> SHA1: 3e2d0dcf0a83df5336a2962fbf6f10c3ae61c588

> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/jstorck.asc
>
> KEYS file available here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS
>
> 8 issues were closed/resolved for this release:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12340589
>
> Release note highlights can be found here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version-1.4.0
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
> Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
> including checking hashes, signatures, build
> from source, and test. The please vote:
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as nifi-1.4.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Richard St. John
Joe,

The issue I encountered was related to, I believe, the packaging of the mongodb lookup service.  I am using the XMLlookup service and have a processor with a reference to the XML lookup service.  When I upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4, the processor became invalid due to “incompatible type” of service.  The lookup attribute processor appeared to be attempting to use the mongodb lookup service.  I re-added the xml lookup service, being careful to use the one in the nifi-lookup-services-nar and not the one packaged in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar.  After do that, the lookup attribute processor was valid and able to link to the xml lookup service.

Rick.

--

On Sep 25, 2017, 10:55 AM -0400, Joe Witt <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> -1 (binding) based on what Rick ran into.
>
> Otherwise though the release is looking good. I'm running through a
> series of tests now and things going well.
>
> Rick,
> I agree there are duplicate controller services and sourced to the
> mongo system. And we must fix/remove those.
>
> However, the issue for upgrading is one I'd like to better understand.
> What is the problem you're seeing? It is not required that controller
> services have unique class names. The requirement is that the
> artifact/coordinate is unique across the class name/extension
> bundle/version. So lets figure out why this is actually breaking you.

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Richard St. John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > -1 non-binding.
> >
> > There are duplicate lookup services registered and it’s causing issues
> > upgrading from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0. It seems to be related to the mongo lookup
> > service.
> >
> > Rick.
> >
> > --
> > Richard St. John, PhD
> > Asymmetrik
> > 141 National Business Pkwy, Suite 110
> > Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
> >
> > On Sep 24, 2017, 9:15 PM -0400, Jeff <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> >
> > There is an error in my previous email. 192 issues were closed and
> > resolved for this release.
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 9:11 PM Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of Apache NiFi
> > nifi-1.4.0.
> >
> > The source zip, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110
> >
> > The Git tag is nifi-1.4.0-RC1
> > The Git commit ID is 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
> >
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=nifi.git;a=commit;h=466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
> >
> > Checksums of nifi-1.4.0-source-release.zip:
> > MD5: 9862f59ad1bfa12f2ce041e4c69b1c93
> > SHA1: 3e2d0dcf0a83df5336a2962fbf6f10c3ae61c588
> >
> > Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
> > https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/jstorck.asc
> >
> > KEYS file available here:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS
> >
> > 8 issues were closed/resolved for this release:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12340589
> >
> > Release note highlights can be found here:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version-1.4.0
> >
> > The vote will be open for 72 hours.
> > Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
> > including checking hashes, signatures, build
> > from source, and test. The please vote:
> >
> > [ ] +1 Release this package as nifi-1.4.0
> > [ ] +0 no opinion

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Joey Frazee
I think there could be an issue with the deps in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar. It includes nifi-lookup-services which should either be unnecessary or should just be provided scope (just need the services API dependency). So it’s possible that all the impls in nifi-lookup-services are indeed included twice.

Does that jive with what you’re seeing? I.e., for LookupService properties do you see double of everything?

-joey

Joey,

That sounds like that is the issue.

Rick.

--

On Sep 25, 2017, 11:44 AM -0400, Joey Frazee <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I think there could be an issue with the deps in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar. It includes nifi-lookup-services which should either be unnecessary or should just be provided scope (just need the services API dependency). So it’s possible that all the impls in nifi-lookup-services are indeed included twice.
>
> Does that jive with what you’re seeing? I.e., for LookupService properties do you see double of everything?
>
> -joey
>
> On Sep 25, 2017, 10:30 AM -0500, Richard St. John <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> > Joe,
> >
> > The issue I encountered was related to, I believe, the packaging of the mongodb lookup service.  I am using the XMLlookup service and have a processor with a reference to the XML lookup service.  When I upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4, the processor became invalid due to “incompatible type” of service.  The lookup attribute processor appeared to be attempting to use the mongodb lookup service.  I re-added the xml lookup service, being careful to use the one in the nifi-lookup-services-nar and not the one packaged in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar.  After do that, the lookup attribute processor was valid and able to link to the xml lookup service.
> >
> > Rick.
> >
> > --
> > Richard St. John, PhD
> > Asymmetrik
> > 141 National Business Pkwy, Suite 110
> > Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
> >
> > On Sep 25, 2017, 10:55 AM -0400, Joe Witt <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> > > -1 (binding) based on what Rick ran into.
> > >
> > > Otherwise though the release is looking good. I'm running through a
> > > series of tests now and things going well.
> > >
> > > Rick,
> > > I agree there are duplicate controller services and sourced to the
> > > mongo system. And we must fix/remove those.
> > >
> > > However, the issue for upgrading is one I'd like to better understand.
> > > What is the problem you're seeing? It is not required that controller
> > > services have unique class names. The requirement is that the
> > > artifact/coordinate is unique across the class name/extension
> > > bundle/version. So lets figure out why this is actually breaking you.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Joe

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Matt Burgess-2
All,

I verified that Joey is correct and that dependency causes the
duplicates. I reopened NIFI-4345 and submitted a PR.

[2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2174

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Richard St. John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joey,
>
> That sounds like that is the issue.
>
> Rick.
>
> --
> Richard St. John, PhD
> Asymmetrik
> 141 National Business Pkwy, Suite 110
> Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
>
> On Sep 25, 2017, 11:44 AM -0400, Joey Frazee <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> I think there could be an issue with the deps in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar. It includes nifi-lookup-services which should either be unnecessary or should just be provided scope (just need the services API dependency). So it’s possible that all the impls in nifi-lookup-services are indeed included twice.
>>
>> Does that jive with what you’re seeing? I.e., for LookupService properties do you see double of everything?
>>
>> -joey
>>
>> On Sep 25, 2017, 10:30 AM -0500, Richard St. John <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> > Joe,
>> >
>> > The issue I encountered was related to, I believe, the packaging of the mongodb lookup service.  I am using the XMLlookup service and have a processor with a reference to the XML lookup service.  When I upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4, the processor became invalid due to “incompatible type” of service.  The lookup attribute processor appeared to be attempting to use the mongodb lookup service.  I re-added the xml lookup service, being careful to use the one in the nifi-lookup-services-nar and not the one packaged in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar.  After do that, the lookup attribute processor was valid and able to link to the xml lookup service.
>> >
>> > Rick.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard St. John, PhD
>> > Asymmetrik
>> > 141 National Business Pkwy, Suite 110
>> > Annapolis Junction, MD 20701

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Bryan Bende
I think the reason for the upgrade issue was the following...

Normally there is an automatic upgrade of component versions, with the
following logic:

- If the flow says you are using version X of a component, and during
startup version X is not found, but version Y is found, and version Y
is the only version of that component, then version Y is selected.

- If the flow says you are using version X of a component, and during
startup more than one version of the component is found, then we can't
automatically select one, so a ghost component would be created as
place-holder.

This is how all the components would normally go from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0
on an upgrade.

In Richard's flow, he was using the 1.3.0 XMLFileLookupService, and
when he upgraded it found a 1.4.0 version from the lookup services
NAR, and also a 1.4.0 version from the Mongo services NAR, and
therefore fell into the second case described above.

Deleting the service and re-creating it is one way to resolve the
issue, I also believe you could go into the controller services table
and select to "Change Version" on the service and select the version

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Matt Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I verified that Joey is correct and that dependency causes the
> duplicates. I reopened NIFI-4345 and submitted a PR.
>
> Regards,
> Matt

> [2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2174
>
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Richard St. John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Joey,
>>
>> That sounds like that is the issue.
>>
>> Rick.
>>
>> --
>> Richard St. John, PhD
>> Asymmetrik
>> 141 National Business Pkwy, Suite 110
>> Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
>>
>> On Sep 25, 2017, 11:44 AM -0400, Joey Frazee <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>> I think there could be an issue with the deps in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar. It includes nifi-lookup-services which should either be unnecessary or should just be provided scope (just need the services API dependency). So it’s possible that all the impls in nifi-lookup-services are indeed included twice.
>>>
>>> Does that jive with what you’re seeing? I.e., for LookupService properties do you see double of everything?
>>>
>>> -joey

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Joe Witt
Ok good this makes a lot more sense now.  One JIRA will fix the
erroneous duplicates.  And this JIRA, which can be done later, will
correct that we should have actually not even have noticed the
duplicates and Rick's flow should have worked correctly automatically
[1].

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Bryan Bende <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the reason for the upgrade issue was the following...
>
> Normally there is an automatic upgrade of component versions, with the
> following logic:
>
> - If the flow says you are using version X of a component, and during
> startup version X is not found, but version Y is found, and version Y
> is the only version of that component, then version Y is selected.
>
> - If the flow says you are using version X of a component, and during
> startup more than one version of the component is found, then we can't
> automatically select one, so a ghost component would be created as
> place-holder.
>
> This is how all the components would normally go from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0
> on an upgrade.
>
> In Richard's flow, he was using the 1.3.0 XMLFileLookupService, and
> when he upgraded it found a 1.4.0 version from the lookup services
> NAR, and also a 1.4.0 version from the Mongo services NAR, and
> therefore fell into the second case described above.
>
> Deleting the service and re-creating it is one way to resolve the
> issue, I also believe you could go into the controller services table
> and select to "Change Version" on the service and select the version
> from the lookup services NAR.
>

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Matt Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I verified that Joey is correct and that dependency causes the
>> duplicates. I reopened NIFI-4345 and submitted a PR.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Matt
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-4345
>> [2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2174
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Richard St. John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Joey,
>>>
>>> That sounds like that is the issue.
>>>
>>> Rick.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard St. John, PhD
>>> Asymmetrik
>>> 141 National Business Pkwy, Suite 110
>>> Annapolis Junction, MD 20701

[CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Jeff-2
Given the issues discovered today, I am canceling the voting for RC1.

I will prepare RC2 when I get a bit of time to work on it, hopefully within
the next day or two, and start another vote thread.

Here's a list of issues that will be addressed by RC2:

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 1:12 PM Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> nifi-mongodb-services-nar. It includes nifi-lookup-services which should
> either be unnecessary or should just be provided scope (just need the
> services API dependency). So it’s possible that all the impls in
> nifi-lookup-services are indeed included twice.

> properties do you see double of everything?

> the mongodb lookup service.  I am using the XMLlookup service and have a
> processor with a reference to the XML lookup service.  When I upgraded from
> 1.3 to 1.4, the processor became invalid due to “incompatible type” of
> service.  The lookup attribute processor appeared to be attempting to use
> the mongodb lookup service.  I re-added the xml lookup service, being
> careful to use the one in the nifi-lookup-services-nar and not the one
> packaged in the nifi-mongodb-services-nar.  After do that, the lookup
> attribute processor was valid and able to link to the

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Mark Bean
Jeff,

All outstanding issues have been resolved/committed, right? Can RC2 get
turned around quickly? We were hoping to have an official 1.4.0 release by
the end of the week.

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > xml lookup service.

> through

> the

> > understand.
> > controller
> > you.

> causing
> > issues
> > mongo lookup

> > and

> > Apache NiFi

> > found at:
> > >>>> > > >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110

> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=nifi.git;a=commit;h=
> 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> projectId=12316020&version=12340589

> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/
> Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version-1.4.0

> > necessary items

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Mark,

I also would like to get RC2 out as soon as possible, but due to time
constraints on other tasks, I will not be able to create RC2 until tomorrow
afternoon.  However, with a 72-hour voting window resulting in binding
votes to release RC2, 1.4.0 could be released by the end of the week.

FYI, for those that would like to get a head start on using what would be
released in 1.4.0, you can build off of the master branch and have
essentially what will be released in RC2.  The Apache NiFi Quickstart [1]
contains documentation on cloning the project from Github, building from
source code, and running NiFi.

[1] http://nifi.apache.org/quickstart.html

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 3:51 PM Mark Bean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> breaking
> > > you.

> > causing
> > > issues
> > > mongo lookup

> closed
> > > and

> of
> > > Apache NiFi

> > > found at:
> > > >>>> > > >
> > > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110

> 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539
> > > >>>> > > >

> > > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=nifi.git;a=commit;h=
> > 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539

> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> > projectId=12316020&version=12340589

> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/
> > Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version-1.4.0

> > > necessary items

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Brandon DeVries
Jeff,

Any updates on RC2?

Brandon

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 4:56 PM Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> of
> > use
> one
> > > processor+was+valid+and+able+to+link+to+the&entry=gmail&source=g>

> >,

> > > through

> > > the

> the
> name/extension
> > breaking

> > > causing
> the

> > closed

> release
> > of

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110

> > 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539

> > > 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539

> > > projectId=12316020&version=12340589

> > > Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version-1.4.0

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Yes, currently working on RC2.

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM Brandon DeVries <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > upgraded
> > of
> > > use
> being
> > one
> lookup

> [hidden email]
> > >,

> sourced

> > the
> > name/extension
> > > breaking

> > the

> >,

> > > closed

> [hidden email]>

> > release
> > > of

> be
> > > > > >>>> > > >

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenifi-1110

> > > 466931665caab96df1c2c6b62d4b3c6cffeb3539

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi 1.4.0

Hello all,

I just wanted to send out a quick update on RC2 status.  I'm currently
running the "mvn release:perform" step, which should be nearing
completion.  There are a few steps to do once that has finished, but there
should be a new voting thread very soon.

I want to thank all of you for your patience.  This is my first attempt at
doing an Apache release and I've run into a few bumps along the way, but
has been good personal learning experience for managing the release process.

I apologize for the delay of RC2!

Thanks,
Jeff