Website Theme

123

Website Theme

Aldrin Piri
In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
project.

My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site

Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.

The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but is
primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.

I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of points
such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the application
to the site.

If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.

To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I have
a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current site.

Thanks!

--Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Joe Witt
Aldrin

I think it is all the 'Oh Snap!' messages as the 404s that really seal the
deal.

It is solid and it looks like it'll be easy to integrate into CMS/md.

Would be interested to see how we can incorporate some of the color scheme
of the current app.  Am thinking of playing with the color gradient to stem
from the same color on the nifi banner bar at its darkest.  The
'nifi-banner.xcf' is the raw?

Thanks!
Joe

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
> put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
> project.
>
> My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
>
> Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
> applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.
>
> The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but is
> primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
> project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
>
> I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
> input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
> converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of points
> such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the application
> to the site.
>
> If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
> support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
> project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
>
> To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I have
> a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
> links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current site.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Aldrin Piri
Thank Bootstrap for those!

The nifi-banner.xcf is the raw image, but it was largely generated via
plugins in GIMP.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aldrin
>
> I think it is all the 'Oh Snap!' messages as the 404s that really seal the
> deal.
>
> It is solid and it looks like it'll be easy to integrate into CMS/md.
>
> Would be interested to see how we can incorporate some of the color scheme
> of the current app.  Am thinking of playing with the color gradient to stem
> from the same color on the nifi banner bar at its darkest.  The
> 'nifi-banner.xcf' is the raw?
>
> Thanks!
> Joe
>
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
> > put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
> > project.
> >
> > My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
> >
> > Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
> > applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.
> >
> > The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but
> is
> > primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
> > project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
> >
> > I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
> > input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
> > converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of
> points
> > such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the
> application
> > to the site.
> >
> > If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
> > support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
> > project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
> >
> > To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I
> have
> > a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
> > links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current
> site.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Brandon DeVries
Aldrin,

The page looks really good! Bootstrap is pretty sweet. I have a couple of
thought if you'd like them... I think with the bootstrap gradients you can
specify both the "light" and "dark" colors, so you can fade between both of
the NiFi logo colors.  Also, for the features / get involved /
documentation it might be good to put those in "wells" so the grid
background doesn't Interfere with the text. Looks awesome though. Thanks
for working on it.

Brandon

On Monday, January 5, 2015, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank Bootstrap for those!
>
> The nifi-banner.xcf is the raw image, but it was largely generated via
> plugins in GIMP.
>
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Aldrin
> >
> > I think it is all the 'Oh Snap!' messages as the 404s that really seal
> the
> > deal.
> >
> > It is solid and it looks like it'll be easy to integrate into CMS/md.
> >
> > Would be interested to see how we can incorporate some of the color
> scheme
> > of the current app.  Am thinking of playing with the color gradient to
> stem
> > from the same color on the nifi banner bar at its darkest.  The
> > 'nifi-banner.xcf' is the raw?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Joe
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > > In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside
> > > put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
> > > project.
> > >
> > > My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
> > >
> > > Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would
> be
> > > applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining
> sections.
> > >
> > > The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github
> but
> > is
> > > primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with
> the
> > > project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
> > >
> > > I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
> > > input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site
> > > converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of
> > points
> > > such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the
> > application
> > > to the site.
> > >
> > > If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
> > > support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
> > > project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
> > >
> > > To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I
> > have
> > > a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/.
> The
> > > links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current
> > site.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > --Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Josh Elser
+1 it looks great!

Assuming it is adopted, it'd be good to commit any/all raw images
somewhere (I imagine somewhere in the CMS root that isn't being served)
so anyone else can come along and make non-lossy changes to the images/etc.

Aldrin Piri wrote:

> Thank Bootstrap for those!
>
> The nifi-banner.xcf is the raw image, but it was largely generated via
> plugins in GIMP.
>
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Joe Witt<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Aldrin
>>
>> I think it is all the 'Oh Snap!' messages as the 404s that really seal the
>> deal.
>>
>> It is solid and it looks like it'll be easy to integrate into CMS/md.
>>
>> Would be interested to see how we can incorporate some of the color scheme
>> of the current app.  Am thinking of playing with the color gradient to stem
>> from the same color on the nifi banner bar at its darkest.  The
>> 'nifi-banner.xcf' is the raw?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Joe
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Aldrin Piri<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
>>> put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
>>> project.
>>>
>>> My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
>>>
>>> Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
>>> applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.
>>>
>>> The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but
>> is
>>> primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
>>> project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
>>>
>>> I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
>>> input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
>>> converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of
>> points
>>> such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the
>> application
>>> to the site.
>>>
>>> If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
>>> support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
>>> project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
>>>
>>> To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I
>> have
>>> a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
>>> links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current
>> site.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --Aldrin

RE: Website Theme

You've got my +1. I think you've done a great job here, Aldrin!

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 19:39:31 -0500
> Subject: Website Theme
> To: [hidden email]
>
> In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
> put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
> project.
>
> My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
>
> Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
> applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.
>
> The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but is
> primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
> project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
>
> I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
> input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
> converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of points
> such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the application
> to the site.
>
> If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
> support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
> project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
>
> To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I have
> a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
> links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current site.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Adam Taft
This isn't a downvote -- I think it indeed looks good.  But in terms of
constructive criticism...

I think the mockup looks like a very generic "bootstrap" site, similar to a
million other bootstrap based sites.  I'd personally almost prefer the
existing utilitarian website over a bootstrap theme, simply because it
doesn't try to be anything more than what it is.

This approach might be an acceptable tradeoff for the project; having the
bootstrap look & feel is obviously a resource savings and available at the
right price point.  But the site mockup definitely doesn't distinguish the
Apache NiFi "brand" in anyway. In fact the opposite, the brand gets watered
down with this look.

As a funny side note, humorously for me, this was the first thought in my
head when I saw the site:  http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-04-01/

Adam

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
> put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
> project.
>
> My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
>
> Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
> applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.
>
> The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but is
> primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
> project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
>
> I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
> input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
> converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of points
> such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the application
> to the site.
>
> If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
> support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
> project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
>
> To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I have
> a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
> links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current site.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Donald Miner
I'll echo what Adam says. Honestly, just flipping some logos onto a
bootstrap template is almost becoming a cliche these days... but I'm
conflicted because it does look a lot better than whatever random crap I'd
come up with myself. I'd vote for keeping with bootstrap.

I think one of the problems I have with Aldrin's draft is that it doesn't
really convey open source project to me, which typically have simpler and
utilitarian websites. I think it is "trying too hard".

Take a look at the Accumulo website, which uses bootstrap:
http://accumulo.apache.org
It just has plain white colors, no pictures, has an easy link to the
releases, etc.

Another good example of "style" is the difference between mongodb.com (the
commercial company formerly known as 10gen) and mongodb.org. Stay away from
looking like the .com one, IMO.

Who do you want your project to attract? I like to think the apache website
should be something that is functional and easy to use without purple and
black swooshy things distracting me.

My 2 cents!

-Don

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Adam Taft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This isn't a downvote -- I think it indeed looks good.  But in terms of
> constructive criticism...
>
> I think the mockup looks like a very generic "bootstrap" site, similar to a
> million other bootstrap based sites.  I'd personally almost prefer the
> existing utilitarian website over a bootstrap theme, simply because it
> doesn't try to be anything more than what it is.
>
> This approach might be an acceptable tradeoff for the project; having the
> bootstrap look & feel is obviously a resource savings and available at the
> right price point.  But the site mockup definitely doesn't distinguish the
> Apache NiFi "brand" in anyway. In fact the opposite, the brand gets watered
> down with this look.
>
> As a funny side note, humorously for me, this was the first thought in my
> head when I saw the site:  http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-04-01/
>
> Adam
>

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
> > put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
> > project.
> >
> > My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
> >
> > Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
> > applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.
> >
> > The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but
> is
> > primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
> > project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
> >
> > I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
> > input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
> > converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of
> points
> > such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the
> application
> > to the site.
> >
> > If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
> > support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
> > project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
> >
> > To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I
> have
> > a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
> > links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current
> site.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Both are bootstrap based.  Each is an iterative improvement.  And we just
keep iterating as folks have time, willingness, and expertise to do so.

I agree that this new look does not distinguish a brand.  But we're not
mature enough to worry about that yet.  We just need enough of the right
info laid out enough to help grow a community and get folks the info they
need.  We need it laid out in a way that multiple folks can contribute.
Once we have a release, recruit some committers, demonstrate progress on
the Apache Way and grow then perhaps branding becomes a bigger deal.

..this motivates me to spawn another thread about the type of community we
want to be...

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Adam Taft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This isn't a downvote -- I think it indeed looks good.  But in terms of
> constructive criticism...
>
> I think the mockup looks like a very generic "bootstrap" site, similar to a
> million other bootstrap based sites.  I'd personally almost prefer the
> existing utilitarian website over a bootstrap theme, simply because it
> doesn't try to be anything more than what it is.
>
> This approach might be an acceptable tradeoff for the project; having the
> bootstrap look & feel is obviously a resource savings and available at the
> right price point.  But the site mockup definitely doesn't distinguish the
> Apache NiFi "brand" in anyway. In fact the opposite, the brand gets watered
> down with this look.
>
> As a funny side note, humorously for me, this was the first thought in my
> head when I saw the site:  http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-04-01/
>
> Adam
>

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In partial fulfillment of the goals of NIFI-162, I set some time aside to
> > put together something a bit more visually appealing as a face for the
> > project.
> >
> > My work can be found at: https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site
> >
> > Currently, work focused around the homepage, but similar styles would be
> > applied to more content driven pages minus the large headlining sections.
> >
> > The relevant technology colophon is provided in the README on Github but
> is
> > primarily driven by Bootstrap, existing image resources included with the
> > project and current site, and other "artwork" which I created myself.
> >
> > I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
> > input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
> > converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of
> points
> > such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the
> application
> > to the site.
> >
> > If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
> > support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
> > project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
> >
> > To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I
> have
> > a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
> > links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current
> site.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Aldrin

Re: Website Theme

Joe Witt
I'd say the two sides of the spectrum as examples are:

http://kafka.apache.org/  [super minimalist]
http://aurora.incubator.apache.org/ [ quite fancy looking ]

Both in my opinion are beautifully done and make it easy to get the content
needed.

I think these (and others) provide great examples that both sides of the
spectrum have merit.

What is most important to me is that we as a community rally behind those
with the expertise and willingness to contribute in this space.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > I am neither a UX expert nor am I a renowned front end designer, so all
>> > input is welcome.  As a "version 1.1" I would like to adjust the site to
>> > converge more with the application.  Ideas for this are inclusive of
>> points
>> > such as bringing the toolbar styling and color scheme from the
>> application
>> > to the site.
>> >
>> > If this seems like a reasonable path forward and there is sufficient
>> > support, I can look at the next steps to get this integrated with the
>> > project, optimization, and integration with the application itself.
>> >
>> > To aid in showing the intangibles that can't be seen from an image, I
>> have
>> > a copy of this design hosted at http://aldrinpiri.com/apache-nifi/. The
>> > links are currently nonfunctional as they were taken from the current

Re: Website Theme

trkurc
Administrator
Hey! It looks awesome! The existing site was put together a placeholder and
we went with a very generic layout that worked well with Apache CMS and
contained all the information expected of an apache process.

This is a big improvement! For people new to the project, it gives a nice
upfront screenshot, with big fat links for things I care about people
seeing!

Some things I didn't like about the existing site are the glyphicon links
to "external" sites on the menu. I used "link", but I think it was meant to
be used for "permalink". Also, we kind of took a best guess about what
should go in each dropdown in the menu. I'm pretty sure it could be better
organized. I'd also like to see the awesome guides that people wrote have a
consistent theme with the website and maybe have pdfs so old-school folks
can print them out (which may be a dumb idea ;) ) A pet peeve of mine of
projects is having a hard time finding the documentation I need, like
javadocs or specifications - and keeping around the older versions of the
documentation. I think we're still working on these - since you retained
the menu up top it should be straightforward to have a robust documentation
dropdown.

The blue you used is more of a reddish or purplish blue - the blue used in
the app is more of a greenish blue. I'm kind of curious what a greener blue
would look like ... did you mock one up and it looked bad? Or maybe a more
fundamental question, should the website evoke the theme of the app? I
don't know how I feel.

Tony

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd say the two sides of the spectrum as examples are:
>
> http://kafka.apache.org/  [super minimalist]
> http://aurora.incubator.apache.org/ [ quite fancy looking ]
>
> Both in my opinion are beautifully done and make it easy to get the content
> needed.
>
> I think these (and others) provide great examples that both sides of the
> spectrum have merit.
>
> What is most important to me is that we as a community rally behind those
> with the expertise and willingness to contribute in this space.

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Both are bootstrap based.  Each is an iterative improvement.  And we just
> > keep iterating as folks have time, willingness, and expertise to do so.
> >
> > I agree that this new look does not distinguish a brand.  But we're not
> > mature enough to worry about that yet.  We just need enough of the right
> > info laid out enough to help grow a community and get folks the info they
> > need.  We need it laid out in a way that multiple folks can contribute.
> > Once we have a release, recruit some committers, demonstrate progress on
> > the Apache Way and grow then perhaps branding becomes a bigger deal.
> >
> > ..this motivates me to spawn another thread about the type of community
> we
> > want to be...
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joe
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Adam Taft <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> This isn't a downvote -- I think it indeed looks good.  But in terms of
> >> constructive criticism...
> >>
> >> I think the mockup looks like a very generic "bootstrap" site, similar
> >> million other bootstrap based sites.  I'd personally almost prefer the
> >> existing utilitarian website over a bootstrap theme, simply because it
> >> doesn't try to be anything more than what it is.
> >>
> >> This approach might be an acceptable tradeoff for the project; having
> the
> >> bootstrap look & feel is obviously a resource savings and available at
> the
> >> right price point.  But the site mockup definitely doesn't distinguish
> the
> >> Apache NiFi "brand" in anyway. In fact the opposite, the brand gets
> >> watered
> >> down with this look.
> >>
> >> As a funny side note, humorously for me, this was the first thought in
> my
> >> head when I saw the site:  http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-04-01/
> >>
> >> Adam

> be
> >> sections.

> >> but is
> >> the

> all
> >> points
> >> application

> >> have
> The
> >> site.

Re: Website Theme

trkurc
Administrator
oops! s/process/project/

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Tony Kurc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Both are bootstrap based.  Each is an iterative improvement.  And we
>> just
>> > keep iterating as folks have time, willingness, and expertise to do so.
>> >
>> > I agree that this new look does not distinguish a brand.  But we're not
>> > mature enough to worry about that yet.  We just need enough of the right
>> > info laid out enough to help grow a community and get folks the info
>> they
>> > need.  We need it laid out in a way that multiple folks can contribute.
>> > Once we have a release, recruit some committers, demonstrate progress on
>> > the Apache Way and grow then perhaps branding becomes a bigger deal.
>> >
>> > ..this motivates me to spawn another thread about the type of community

Re: Website Theme

Sorry if this somehow gets sent twice.   My first submission seemed to
bounce as it exceeded the spam threshold when I sent it a couple of
hours ago and it has yet to appear, so I'm sending again.

First and foremost, good feedback.  I think UI/UX stuff is tricky and
I am happy to find my livelihood in the plumbing and behind the scenes
work.

Here's my attempt to try and tackle all the comments in one fell swoop:

I agree that Bootstrap is everywhere, but I don't necessarily think
that is a bad thing.  One could argue that interfaces of all forms are
converging and users have the instant familiarity of a known quantity.
I know that I am totally unaware of what it takes to make a site both
functional and maintain its feel across devices.  I think that last
part is important.  Personally, as a user on the other side of the
screen, I don't really understand why sites do not work or jive with
my mobile device du jour these days; it should just work.  With what
little I've learned about UX and "Not Making [Anyone] Think,"[1] I
want an effortless experience; no pinch zooming, tap panning, etc.  If
there is a way to take bits and pieces of bootstrap to this end to
support that aspect without the cookie cutter air, I would be quite
thankful for some guidance on that front and do my best to provide it.
Out of the box though, the sample looked pretty decent across all the
devices to which I had access, and used constructs everyone who views
content through a tiny screen is accustomed.

I do agree on the front of the possibility of brand dilution, and I
think it is an excellent point for consideration.  As mentioned in my
original mailing, consideration was given to integrating the
application's aesthetics into the core site.  Not sure if this will
pan out in an appreciable way as I can see it in my mind, but I do
feel it is an avenue worth exploring.  It may also completely miss the
mark, but with my new found web dev prowess, it should be a much
quicker iteration than the first draft.  You'll see a slight homage to
this via the graph wallpaper that is featured in the application
itself.  This was muted a bit by a CSS overlay to a level that seemed
okay, but I definitely hedged as to whether or not to include it.

Ultimately, I wanted to get something out to start the ball rolling,
establishing a base for successive iterations.  I know that with all
the hard work everyone is putting in, the project is closely reaching
its first milestone for release, and thought it important to chip in
where possible to give a face to the project.

Additionally, I think this particular project needs pictures to
demonstrate what it's capabilities.  One of the facets that makes me a
believer about NiFi as a whole is that the end user is not just
developers.  Citing the previous example of Accumulo, its intended
audience is very technical in nature and, accordingly, a lot can be
expressed via the simple phrase of "key-value store."  I would contend
that NiFi's reach is far broader and can't be done justice with a
simple phrase.  For the casual potential user who has strung together
n-many processes of taking a file, manually transforming it, and
moving it elsewhere, they need to see at quick glance that there is
something that can automate this tedium and make them more effective.
Succinctly, the value proposition needs to be there not only for the
technical folks who will use this as a framework, but additionally for
end users.

The background for the header isn't awesome, but I knew I wasn't
violating any licenses if I generated it myself.  I viewed it more as
a placeholder than anything else.  Definitely not a front end web
developer, even more definitively not a graphic artist.  The colors
came from starting with the logo dark blue and running a whole bunch
of filters and plugins via GIMP to get something.  Additionally, there
is a CSS gradient applied over top of it as well when it seemed a bit
too loud.  It could definitely deal with being muted a bit more.

[1] http://www.sensible.com/dmmt.html

> [...]

>> with the expertise and willingness to contribute in this space.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Both are bootstrap based.  Each is an iterative improvement.  And we just
>> > keep iterating as folks have time, willingness, and expertise to do so.
>> >
>> > I agree that this new look does not distinguish a brand.  But we're not
>> > mature enough to worry about that yet.  We just need enough of the right
>> > info laid out enough to help grow a community and get folks the info they
>> > need.  We need it laid out in a way that multiple folks can contribute.
>> > Once we have a release, recruit some committers, demonstrate progress on
>> > the Apache Way and grow then perhaps branding becomes a bigger deal.
>> >
>> > ..this motivates me to spawn another thread about the type of community

Re: Website Theme

Aldrin Piri
I found some time today to provide another look for the site.  There
were very minor changes to the core HTML as is currently served at
nidi homepage and it is largely just a stylesheet.  This one is highly
minimal and clean, still driven by Bootstrap and directly makes use of
the colors from the UI itself.

A screenshot can be seen at
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site/screenshots/index.html.lite.png
with the associated code under the "lite" branch at
https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site/tree/lite

Any thoughts are appreciated.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 9:54 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> would look like ... did you mock one up and it looked bad? Or maybe a more
>> fundamental question, should the website evoke the theme of the app? I
>> don't know how I feel.
>>
>> Tony
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd say the two sides of the spectrum as examples are:
>>>
>>> http://kafka.apache.org/  [super minimalist]
>>> http://aurora.incubator.apache.org/ [ quite fancy looking ]
>>>
>>> Both in my opinion are beautifully done and make it easy to get the content
>>> needed.
>>>
>>> I think these (and others) provide great examples that both sides of the
>>> spectrum have merit.
>>>
>>> What is most important to me is that we as a community rally behind those
>>> with the expertise and willingness to contribute in this space.

Re: Website Theme

Billie Rinaldi-2
I like it.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> can print them out (which may be a dumb idea ;) ) A pet peeve of mine of
> >> projects is having a hard time finding the documentation I need, like
> >> javadocs or specifications - and keeping around the older versions of
> the
> >> documentation. I think we're still working on these - since you retained
> >> the menu up top it should be straightforward to have a robust
> documentation
> >> dropdown.
> >>
> >> The blue you used is more of a reddish or purplish blue - the blue used
> in
> >> the app is more of a greenish blue. I'm kind of curious what a greener
> blue
> >> would look like ... did you mock one up and it looked bad? Or maybe a
> more
> >> fundamental question, should the website evoke the theme of the app? I

RE: Website Theme

Mark Payne
Aldrin,
I'm liking it! Definitely looks nice. Though I would provide a bit of feedback:
I'm not sure that I would include the NiFi logo on the right-hand side, since it's already in the top-left.
From a NiFi 'brand' perspective, I would update the screenshot a bit. This screenshot is using the old logo in the top-left corner, and the graph shows all of the data disappearing before the RouteOnAttribute Processor. I'd recommend we construct a dataflow that's more appealing to the target audience, perhaps integrating with other Apache projects (HDFS, Kafka are possible, for instance) or using (S)FTP processor.
Does it make sense to have maybe like a 'Latest News' section or something where we could post things like "Version 0.0.1 just released!" etc.?
I'm really liking the concept - nice job!
Thanks-Mark

> [...]
> > > moving it elsewhere, they need to see at quick glance that there is
> > > something that can automate this tedium and make them more effective.
> > > Succinctly, the value proposition needs to be there not only for the
> > > technical folks who will use this as a framework, but additionally for
> > > end users.
> > >
> > > The background for the header isn't awesome, but I knew I wasn't
> > > violating any licenses if I generated it myself.  I viewed it more as
> > > a placeholder than anything else.  Definitely not a front end web
> > > developer, even more definitively not a graphic artist.  The colors
> > > came from starting with the logo dark blue and running a whole bunch
> > > of filters and plugins via GIMP to get something.  Additionally, there
> > > is a CSS gradient applied over top of it as well when it seemed a bit
> > > too loud.  It could definitely deal with being muted a bit more.

Re: Website Theme

Aldrin Piri
Mark,

Thanks for the comments.

I actuality tried it without the logo on the main page and it felt a
bit empty.  I don't know that we necessarily need the logo there, but
something is needed.  Additionally, I viewed it as being just a "front
page" inclusion, as other pages would just have the top navbar.

You caught me.  I was lazy and I recycled the screenshot from the
first iteration.  It would definitely need updating, but is largely
just a placeholder for the concept.  I would definitely like something
a bit more engaging.  (faux edit) I rearranged things a bit, removing
the second instance of the logo and placing more emphasis on the one
in the corner of the application.  Not sure if I like it better, but
I've provided the results [1] with all three of the submissions shown
in chronological order [2].

The news section is a toss-up for me at this juncture.  I could see
the need one for eventually, but I'm not sure if the project is quite
there yet.  It seemed a common thread among incubating sites that such
a section was omitted whereas those top-level projects typically
included one.  Given that the project is on the verge on the first of
the regular releases, perhaps this is increasingly pertinent in the
near future.  At minimum, one of the screen grabs from your blog posts
would be a good candidate.

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site/screenshots/index.html.lite.v1.1.png
[2] https://github.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site/blob/screenshots/README.md

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Mark Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> I'm really liking the concept - nice job!
> Thanks-Mark
>
>> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 07:00:52 -0800
>> Subject: Re: Website Theme
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>>
>> I like it.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Aldrin Piri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I found some time today to provide another look for the site.  There
>> > were very minor changes to the core HTML as is currently served at
>> > nidi homepage and it is largely just a stylesheet.  This one is highly
>> > minimal and clean, still driven by Bootstrap and directly makes use of
>> > the colors from the UI itself.
>> >
>> > A screenshot can be seen at
>> >
>> > https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apiri/apache-nifi-site/screenshots/index.html.lite.png
>> > with the associated code under the "lite" branch at

Re: Website Theme

Joe Witt
Solid design and agree with all your comments aldrin.   Very nice
On Jan 20, 2015 6:27 PM, "Aldrin Piri" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > I'm liking it! Definitely looks nice. Though I would provide a bit of
> feedback:
> > I'm not sure that I would include the NiFi logo on the right-hand side,
> since it's already in the top-left.
> > From a NiFi 'brand' perspective, I would update the screenshot a bit.
> This screenshot is using the old logo in the top-left corner, and the graph
> shows all of the data disappearing before the RouteOnAttribute Processor.
> I'd recommend we construct a dataflow that's more appealing to the target
> audience, perhaps integrating with other Apache projects (HDFS, Kafka are
> possible, for instance) or using (S)FTP processor.
> > Does it make sense to have maybe like a 'Latest News' section or
> something where we could post things like "Version 0.0.1 just released!"
> etc.?
> > I'm really liking the concept - nice job!

Re: Website Theme

Dan Bress
Aldrin,
   I think this looks good.

All,
   Maybe this is a little off topic, but I noticed that the logos consistently use "nifi" whereas in text its consistently written as "NiFi".  Any reason for the difference?

   I kind of thing the logos look good as "nifi" and the text looks good as "NiFi" so I might be questioning something that I am OK with.  But I noticed they are different and was wondering if this was a conscious decision or not.  Thoughts?

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

> [...]

> > I'm liking it! Definitely looks nice. Though I would provide a bit of
> feedback:
> > I'm not sure that I would include the NiFi logo on the right-hand side,
> since it's already in the top-left.
> > From a NiFi 'brand' perspective, I would update the screenshot a bit.
> This screenshot is using the old logo in the top-left corner, and the graph
> shows all of the data disappearing before the RouteOnAttribute Processor.
> I'd recommend we construct a dataflow that's more appealing to the target
> audience, perhaps integrating with other Apache projects (HDFS, Kafka are
> possible, for instance) or using (S)FTP processor.
> > Does it make sense to have maybe like a 'Latest News' section or
> something where we could post things like "Version 0.0.1 just released!"
> etc.?
> > I'm really liking the concept - nice job!

Re: Website Theme

Joe Witt
Dan,

No real thought behind it.  But I personally agree with your statement:

the logos look good as "nifi" and the text looks good as "NiFi"

123