Where to store code to generate test resources?

Where to store code to generate test resources?

Dan Bress
I'm working on NIFI-632, and like a good little developer I'm writing my test code first.  The test code will attempt to load a nar that contains a processor that will attempt to load a resource from the nar during processor initialization, because Matt Gilman indicated that was causing problems with documentation generation.

I was planning on including this test nar as a test resource in the nifi-documentation project.  I was thinking it would be a good idea to check in the source used to build this test nar somewhere in the event that I or someone else needs to modify it.

Where should the code I use to generate this test resource live?

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

Re: Where to store code to generate test resources?

Joe Witt
I'd recommend just putting the source for the test artifact it in the
test sources of the artifact you're testing.

--> That sentence was as awesome to write as it is to read.

This feels not worth the hassle of any build heroics.  Also remember
you'll likely need to exclude the test.nar artifact from the rat
check.

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Dan Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm working on NIFI-632, and like a good little developer I'm writing my test code first.  The test code will attempt to load a nar that contains a processor that will attempt to load a resource from the nar during processor initialization, because Matt Gilman indicated that was causing problems with documentation generation.
>

> I was planning on including this test nar as a test resource in the nifi-documentation project.  I was thinking it would be a good idea to check in the source used to build this test nar somewhere in the event that I or someone else needs to modify it.
>

> Where should the code I use to generate this test resource live?
>

> Dan Bress
> Software Engineer
> ONYX Consulting Services

Re: Where to store code to generate test resources?

Dan Bress
Joe,
   Well... I need to build a nar, so if I follow our bundle archetype, then I'll have a parent pom, a xxxx-processors directory and a xxxx-nar directory with java and poms and resources and what not.  That doesn't feel like it belongs in the test source of the artifact I am testing.

that to me would like like this

nifi-documentation
  src
    test
       java
           xxxx-bundle
                  pom.xml
                  xxxx-processors
                       pom.xml
                       src
                           main
                                java
                  xxxx-nar
                       pom.xml

Were we talking about having a directory to story eclipse/netbeans formatting rules?  I was thinking maybe it could go there?

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

I'd recommend just putting the source for the test artifact it in the
test sources of the artifact you're testing.

--> That sentence was as awesome to write as it is to read.

This feels not worth the hassle of any build heroics.  Also remember
you'll likely need to exclude the test.nar artifact from the rat
check.

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Dan Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm working on NIFI-632, and like a good little developer I'm writing my test code first.  The test code will attempt to load a nar that contains a processor that will attempt to load a resource from the nar during processor initialization, because Matt Gilman indicated that was causing problems with documentation generation.
>

> I was planning on including this test nar as a test resource in the nifi-documentation project.  I was thinking it would be a good idea to check in the source used to build this test nar somewhere in the event that I or someone else needs to modify it.
>

> Where should the code I use to generate this test resource live?
>

> Dan Bress
> Software Engineer
> ONYX Consulting Services

Re: Where to store code to generate test resources?

Sean Busbey
the formatting rules would likely go in a top-level "dev-support" folder.
That's also where I'll be placing the bits needed to use the precommit
patch tests (ref NIFI-577).

do we have a "nifi-examples" module yet? It could go there and then you
could declare a test dependency on it.

Sean

Re: Where to store code to generate test resources?

Joe Witt
Sean/Dan - that sounds good to me.

We don't have a nifi-examples module yet.  We did start a
'nifi-externals' and the only thing it in today is the spark receiver.
But that could also be a good place to put a nifi-example sub-project.