author tags

Sean Busbey
In going through the code today I noticed there are some author javadoc
tags. Many of them are "none" or "unattributed", but there are a few that
are people.

Author tags are generally frowned on at the ASF, AFAICT, but it's still up
to individual PMCs to decide if they want an actual rule. Those few
communities I've found a discussion in seem to have gone with "no author
tags".

Personally, I don't think author tags are useful or appropriate. The code
is developed by "the NiFi community" and not any one individual. There's an
old thread on community@ that I think does a good job of making the case
against them[1].

What do folks think? If we go with the "no @author tags" thing, then I can
make a cleanup patch to remove what's already present. Checking for them in
new patches is pretty easy.

[1]: http://s.apache.org/iZl
Sean

Re: author tags

Adam Taft
+1 to removing @author entirely.  "unattributable" adds no additional
value, and may even (ironically) provide derivable attribution.

Also, removing author information from any manifest files would make sense
too.

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In going through the code today I noticed there are some author javadoc
> tags. Many of them are "none" or "unattributed", but there are a few that
> are people.
>
> Author tags are generally frowned on at the ASF, AFAICT, but it's still up
> to individual PMCs to decide if they want an actual rule. Those few
> communities I've found a discussion in seem to have gone with "no author
> tags".
>
> Personally, I don't think author tags are useful or appropriate. The code
> is developed by "the NiFi community" and not any one individual. There's an
> old thread on community@ that I think does a good job of making the case
> against them[1].
>
> What do folks think? If we go with the "no @author tags" thing, then I can
> make a cleanup patch to remove what's already present. Checking for them in
> new patches is pretty easy.
>
> [1]: http://s.apache.org/iZl
> Sean

Re: author tags

trkurc
Administrator
I also support removing the author annotations

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 7:11 PM, Adam Taft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to removing @author entirely.  "unattributable" adds no additional
> value, and may even (ironically) provide derivable attribution.
>
> Also, removing author information from any manifest files would make sense
> too.
>

> On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In going through the code today I noticed there are some author javadoc
> > tags. Many of them are "none" or "unattributed", but there are a few that
> > are people.
> >
> > Author tags are generally frowned on at the ASF, AFAICT, but it's still
> up
> > to individual PMCs to decide if they want an actual rule. Those few
> > communities I've found a discussion in seem to have gone with "no author
> > tags".
> >
> > Personally, I don't think author tags are useful or appropriate. The code
> > is developed by "the NiFi community" and not any one individual. There's
> an
> > old thread on community@ that I think does a good job of making the case
> > against them[1].
> >
> > What do folks think? If we go with the "no @author tags" thing, then I
> can
> > make a cleanup patch to remove what's already present. Checking for them
> in
> > new patches is pretty easy.
> >
> > [1]: http://s.apache.org/iZl
> > --
> > Sean

Re: author tags

Joe Witt
Sean

They are simply artifacts of its older life.  I remove them whenever i see
them now.