mass processor change

johny casanova-2
Helo,

Has  there been a request or a way to mass change a processors
configuration? for example, if I want to change the server I'm sending on
100 restpost processors, besides picking em each one, using a made template
or doing copy and paste ?

John Lozada

Re: mass processor change

Joe Witt
John

It has come up.  Not sure if we have a jira for it or not but it is
definitely a good roadmap item.

On Jun 9, 2015 11:04 AM, "johny casanova" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Helo,
>
> Has  there been a request or a way to mass change a processors
> configuration? for example, if I want to change the server I'm sending on
> 100 restpost processors, besides picking em each one, using a made template
> or doing copy and paste ?
>

> John Lozada

RE: mass processor change

Ralph.Spangler
In this case, would it not be a simple task to search/replace the parameter(s) in the nifi.properties file?

Ralph Spangler
Technical Lead/Sr Solutions Architect
L-3 Data Tactics
7901 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 700
McLean, VA  22102
Office: (571) 257-0491
Cell: (321) 212-9552
Fax: (703) 506-6703
[hidden email]

wrote:

> Helo,
>
> Has  there been a request or a way to mass change a processors
> configuration? for example, if I want to change the server I'm sending
> on
> 100 restpost processors, besides picking em each one, using a made
> template or doing copy and paste ?
>

> John Lozada

RE: mass processor change

Joe Witt
That is an option too.  But we can and should provide a great user
experience for this case as well.
On Jun 9, 2015 11:46 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In this case, would it not be a simple task to search/replace the
> parameter(s) in the nifi.properties file?
>
> Ralph Spangler
> Technical Lead/Sr Solutions Architect
> L-3 Data Tactics
> 7901 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 700
> McLean, VA  22102
> Office: (571) 257-0491
> Cell: (321) 212-9552
> Fax: (703) 506-6703
> [hidden email]

RE: mass processor change

Ralph.Spangler
Sorry, I actually meant the flow.xml file, not the properties file. Making a global change to this file should be fairly easy using sed or awk within a script. Once the changes are made just gzip it back up again. Having something to within the GUI would be nice, but basically it would be the same thing. You would have to bounce nifi to read the config in again, but shouldn't be an issue in most cases. Instead of bouncing the instance, maybe a refresh function should be implemented along with the search/replace.

This did make me think of whether a checksum or hash of the flow.xml should be created and saved so  a check as to whether the file has been altered or replaced can be performed. This check could be performed at startup

Ralph Spangler
Technical Lead/Sr Solutions Architect
L-3 Data Tactics
7901 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 700
McLean, VA  22102
Office: (571) 257-0491
Cell: (321) 212-9552
Fax: (703) 506-6703
[hidden email]

That is an option too.  But we can and should provide a great user experience for this case as well.
On Jun 9, 2015 11:46 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In this case, would it not be a simple task to search/replace the
> parameter(s) in the nifi.properties file?
>
> Ralph Spangler
> Technical Lead/Sr Solutions Architect
> L-3 Data Tactics
> 7901 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 700
> McLean, VA  22102
> Office: (571) 257-0491
> Cell: (321) 212-9552
> Fax: (703) 506-6703
> [hidden email]

RE: mass processor change

johny casanova-2
well my initial thought if it can be done on the GUI that would be
awesome.  Some ppl might have access to the canvas and not ssh/ CL access.
Also even though a lot of ppl can make changes easily to the flow.xml file
and feel confident, a mistake can be done easily. Plus its also easier to
track changes from the canvas on config history. Just my thoughts.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: mass processor change
> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 16:59:33 +0000
>
> Sorry, I actually meant the flow.xml file, not the properties file.
Making a global change to this file should be fairly easy using sed or awk
within a script. Once the changes are made just gzip it back up again.
Having something to within the GUI would be nice, but basically it would be
the same thing. You would have to bounce nifi to read the config in again,
but shouldn't be an issue in most cases. Instead of bouncing the instance,
maybe a refresh function should be implemented along with the
search/replace.

> This did make me think of whether a checksum or hash of the flow.xml
should be created and saved so a check as to whether the file has been
altered or replaced can be performed. This check could be performed at
startup

> Ralph Spangler
> Technical Lead/Sr Solutions Architect
> L-3 Data Tactics
> 7901 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 700
> McLean, VA  22102
> Office: (571) 257-0491
> Cell: (321) 212-9552
> Fax: (703) 506-6703
> [hidden email]

Re: mass processor change

Joe Witt
John, Ralph,

Understood on both fronts.  Can you both please consider subscribing
to the mailing list.  It is really easy and saves from having to
manually moderate each email sent in.

Thanks!
Joe