prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?

prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?

Joe Witt
Hello

The tickets assigned to 0.0.2 have winded down and things look pretty
well staged to prepare for a release.  We have some PRs outstanding
but nothing that appears to need to go in immediately and/or is
waiting on 0.1.0 which is likely the next release after this (due to
some breaking changes coming to support runtime mods to controller
tasks/reporting tasks)

Anyone have anything else they want to see in 0.0.2?

Re: prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?

Dan Bress
Joe,
    I just updated the status of one ticket(NIFI-344) to reflect that it was committed and merged into 0.0.2.
   The same thing applies to NIFI-333, but I am not the owner/reporter so I cannot update the status or fix version.  Can you do that?

    I am not aware of anything else I'd like to see in 0.0.2.

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

Re: prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?

Dan Bress
On the subject of tickets that are actually fixed and merged into develop, but not updated in JIRA: Who is responsible for setting the fix version and the status?  The person who originally created the ticket?  The person who made the fix?  The person who merged the fix?  Or?

This ticket falls into that category: NIFI-370

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

Re: prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?

Jennifer Barnabee
Hi Dan,
I'm probably supposed to close this ticket. My access to JIRA doesn't seem
to allow me to close tickets; however, I could be just missing something.

Is there something I need to do to change my access level?

Thanks.
-Jenn

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Dan Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the subject of tickets that are actually fixed and merged into develop,
> but not updated in JIRA: Who is responsible for setting the fix version and
> the status?  The person who originally created the ticket?  The person who
> made the fix?  The person who merged the fix?  Or?
>
> This ticket falls into that category: NIFI-370
>
> Dan Bress
> Software Engineer
> ONYX Consulting Services

I think if you know which version it will go into, you can add the fix version when you create the issue. Otherwise, it should be set when the ticket is marked as resolved -- and I think this should be done by whichever committer merges the code into the develop branch.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?
> Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 15:04:43 +0000
>
> On the subject of tickets that are actually fixed and merged into develop, but not updated in JIRA: Who is responsible for setting the fix version and the status?  The person who originally created the ticket?  The person who made the fix?  The person who merged the fix?  Or?
>
> This ticket falls into that category: NIFI-370
>
> Dan Bress
> Software Engineer
> ONYX Consulting Services

Hi Mark,
I would resolve NIFI-370, but I don't seem to have that option.
I've been able to resolve the issues that I've created. But I don't seem to
have that ability on tickets created by others. Do you think I set up my
account wrong? Or is this something you guys can control?
Thanks.
-Jenn

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Mark Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I think if you know which version it will go into, you can add the fix
> version when you create the issue. Otherwise, it should be set when the
> ticket is marked as resolved -- and I think this should be done by
> whichever committer merges the code into the develop branch.
>
> Thanks
> -Mark
>
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?
> > Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 15:04:43 +0000
> >
> > On the subject of tickets that are actually fixed and merged into
> develop, but not updated in JIRA: Who is responsible for setting the fix
> version and the status?  The person who originally created the ticket?  The
> person who made the fix?  The person who merged the fix?  Or?
> >
> > This ticket falls into that category: NIFI-370
> >
> > Dan Bress
> > Software Engineer
> > ONYX Consulting Services

Jenn,

Honestly, I have no idea. I can mark it resolved. I’m guessing that you need a higher level permission?

I would resolve NIFI-370, but I don't seem to have that option.
I've been able to resolve the issues that I've created. But I don't seem to
have that ability on tickets created by others. Do you think I set up my
account wrong? Or is this something you guys can control?
Thanks.
-Jenn

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Mark Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I think if you know which version it will go into, you can add the fix
> version when you create the issue. Otherwise, it should be set when the
> ticket is marked as resolved -- and I think this should be done by
> whichever committer merges the code into the develop branch.
>
> Thanks
> -Mark
>
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: prepare for apache nifi 0.0.2 incubating?
> > Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 15:04:43 +0000
> >
> > On the subject of tickets that are actually fixed and merged into
> develop, but not updated in JIRA: Who is responsible for setting the fix
> version and the status?  The person who originally created the ticket?  The
> person who made the fix?  The person who merged the fix?  Or?
> >
> > This ticket falls into that category: NIFI-370
> >
> > Dan Bress
> > Software Engineer
> > ONYX Consulting Services

Ok, no problem. Thanks for resolving that one. I found this page:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

It says, "Only developers can edit, prioritize, schedule and resolve
issues."

-Jenn

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Mark Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jenn,
>

> Honestly, I have no idea. I can mark it resolved. I’m guessing that you
> need a higher level permission?

Ok all things look good.  Sounds like items raised are addresses or in
a later release.  Starting the process to put together nifi 0.0.2
(incubating) RC1.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Jennifer Barnabee
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, no problem. Thanks for resolving that one. I found this page:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
>
> It says, "Only developers can edit, prioritize, schedule and resolve
> issues."
>
> -Jenn
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Mark Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jenn,
>>

>> Honestly, I have no idea. I can mark it resolved. I’m guessing that you
>> need a higher level permission?

For convenience purposes you can get a nice listing of what is in the
release here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12329373

You can get to that from here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI/fixforversion/12329373/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok all things look good.  Sounds like items raised are addresses or in
> a later release.  Starting the process to put together nifi 0.0.2
> (incubating) RC1.

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Jennifer Barnabee
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok, no problem. Thanks for resolving that one. I found this page:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
>>
>> It says, "Only developers can edit, prioritize, schedule and resolve
>> issues."
>>
>> -Jenn
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Mark Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Jenn,
>>>

>>> Honestly, I have no idea. I can mark it resolved. I’m guessing that you
>>> need a higher level permission?

Joe/Mark,
   I submitted a second pull request [1] based on some feedback I got from Mark on NIFI-333 [2].  I'm not sure its imperative that it get merged as part of 0.0.2, but it does fully address everything the ticket mentions as being wrong.

   Looking at the list of things that are fixed that Joe just sent out, NIFI-333 is not included and it was fixed in 0.0.2  This ticket should be marked as resolved and fix version 0.0.2

  [2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/pull/33

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, no problem. Thanks for resolving that one. I found this page:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
>
> It says, "Only developers can edit, prioritize, schedule and resolve
> issues."
>
> -Jenn
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Mark Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jenn,
>>

>> Honestly, I have no idea. I can mark it resolved. I’m guessing that you
>> need a higher level permission?

Dan

Ok thanks for pinging.  Taking a look now.

Joe

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Dan Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joe/Mark,
>    I submitted a second pull request [1] based on some feedback I got from Mark on NIFI-333 [2].  I'm not sure its imperative that it get merged as part of 0.0.2, but it does fully address everything the ticket mentions as being wrong.
>
>    Looking at the list of things that are fixed that Joe just sent out, NIFI-333 is not included and it was fixed in 0.0.2  This ticket should be marked as resolved and fix version 0.0.2
>
>   [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-333
>   [2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/pull/33
>
> Dan Bress
> Software Engineer
> ONYX Consulting Services

What you mentioned should be taken care of.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan
>
> Ok thanks for pinging.  Taking a look now.
>
> Joe
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Dan Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Joe/Mark,
>>    I submitted a second pull request [1] based on some feedback I got from Mark on NIFI-333 [2].  I'm not sure its imperative that it get merged as part of 0.0.2, but it does fully address everything the ticket mentions as being wrong.
>>
>>    Looking at the list of things that are fixed that Joe just sent out, NIFI-333 is not included and it was fixed in 0.0.2  This ticket should be marked as resolved and fix version 0.0.2
>>
>>   [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-333
>>   [2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/pull/33
>>
>> Dan Bress
>> Software Engineer
>> ONYX Consulting Services

    Thanks, I did notice that JIRA ticket NIFI-333 is still listed as open/unresolved, and has no fix version.  This is what you merged for me this morning.  I can't update this myself because I am not the owner or creator.

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

What you mentioned should be taken care of.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Joe Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan
>
> Ok thanks for pinging.  Taking a look now.
>
> Joe
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Dan Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Joe/Mark,
>>    I submitted a second pull request [1] based on some feedback I got from Mark on NIFI-333 [2].  I'm not sure its imperative that it get merged as part of 0.0.2, but it does fully address everything the ticket mentions as being wrong.
>>
>>    Looking at the list of things that are fixed that Joe just sent out, NIFI-333 is not included and it was fixed in 0.0.2  This ticket should be marked as resolved and fix version 0.0.2
>>
>>   [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-333
>>   [2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/pull/33
>>
>> Dan Bress
>> Software Engineer
>> ONYX Consulting Services

All,

You'll notice i finally kicked off the vote thread for 0.0.2 as we've
been discussing.

Couple of recap items for this release I think we should
discuss/consider for next time:

1) Our adherence to semantic versioning.
  Please review: http://semver.org/
  We have a few new features made available in the build.  That means
we should technically have called this 0.1.0
  I think given that a full month has passed we should have discussed
just calling this 0.1.0 and bumping the 0.0.2 items to it.
  This is not critical now but we should get better at this going
forward.  Folks will want the comfort of knowing the difference
between X.Y.1 and X.Y.2 is just simple bug fixes and nothing else.  I
would.

2) This release includes a good chunk of contributions from non PPMC
members.  This is great and a big thanks to those of you this refers
to.

3) We also must be cognizant not to let PRs sit too long unanswered.
  Joe Gresock has a PR sitting there which was from December.
  He did an awesome job of providing an idea, code, documentation,
examples, unit tests.  We're definitely throwing a party foul by not
engaging with him more directly on that.
  Now that case is slightly complicated in that we can probably
enhance it after the planned 0.1.0 release.  But still.

4) About that planned 0.1.0 release:
  We need a roadmap, even if very rough, someplace that is accessible.
Without it people don't really have a good way to know when/where to
jump in.

5) Anybody interested in being the release manager for the next
release (0.1.0 or whatever it ends up being)?
  I'll happily assist but it is very important that we have multiple
folks experienced and capable to do the RM task.  Not a pleasant job
but critical for the community for sure.

Thanks everyone!

Joe