specifying LICENSE and NOTICE file generated by nifi-nar-maven-plugin when used by clients

specifying LICENSE and NOTICE file generated by nifi-nar-maven-plugin when used by clients

Dan Bress
I started playing around building my own nar, and when I did I noticed that the nar contained a LICENSE and NOTICE file referencing ASF License 2.0 and "Copyright 2015 Apache NiFi".  I take this to mean that it is saying my nar is licensed under ASF License 2.0, and copyright 2015 Apache NiFi.  Am I misinterpreting this?

If my interpretation is correct, Is there a way to override this?  I imagine that not everyone who develops their own nar wants it to be licensed/copyright this way.

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

Re: specifying LICENSE and NOTICE file generated by nifi-nar-maven-plugin when used by clients

Joe Witt
Dan,

Did you use an apache nifi pom as the parent of your Nar?  If so then
you're inheriting a lot of automatic apache stuff.

If you do not want those things for your extension then it is best to
not inherit at all or to have your own parent that you do inherit
from.  It is possible in maven i believe to inherit by composition
(depend on a pom) but i'm not really sure of the implications of that
in terms of true 'inheritance'.  If you have your own pom/parent pom
though remember you need to add the dependency and enable extensions
for the nar plugin and in the case of a nar you will want to indicate
some of the things you might depend on are provided since they'll be
in the parent classloaders for you.

We clearly need to get this documented/understood better.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I started playing around building my own nar, and when I did I noticed that the nar contained a LICENSE and NOTICE file referencing ASF License 2.0 and "Copyright 2015 Apache NiFi".  I take this to mean that it is saying my nar is licensed under ASF License 2.0, and copyright 2015 Apache NiFi.  Am I misinterpreting this?
>

> If my interpretation is correct, Is there a way to override this?  I imagine that not everyone who develops their own nar wants it to be licensed/copyright this way.
>

> Dan Bress
> Software Engineer
> ONYX Consulting Services

Re: specifying LICENSE and NOTICE file generated by nifi-nar-maven-plugin when used by clients

Dan Bress
Joe,
    Sorry for the delay.  Yes, I specified:
   org.apache.nifi:nifi-nar-bundles:0.0.1-incubating as my parent.  I'll try removing this and report back.

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

Did you use an apache nifi pom as the parent of your Nar?  If so then
you're inheriting a lot of automatic apache stuff.

If you do not want those things for your extension then it is best to
not inherit at all or to have your own parent that you do inherit
from.  It is possible in maven i believe to inherit by composition
(depend on a pom) but i'm not really sure of the implications of that
in terms of true 'inheritance'.  If you have your own pom/parent pom
though remember you need to add the dependency and enable extensions
for the nar plugin and in the case of a nar you will want to indicate
some of the things you might depend on are provided since they'll be
in the parent classloaders for you.

We clearly need to get this documented/understood better.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Bress <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I started playing around building my own nar, and when I did I noticed that the nar contained a LICENSE and NOTICE file referencing ASF License 2.0 and "Copyright 2015 Apache NiFi".  I take this to mean that it is saying my nar is licensed under ASF License 2.0, and copyright 2015 Apache NiFi.  Am I misinterpreting this?
>

> If my interpretation is correct, Is there a way to override this?  I imagine that not everyone who develops their own nar wants it to be licensed/copyright this way.
>

> Dan Bress
> Software Engineer
> ONYX Consulting Services

Re: specifying LICENSE and NOTICE file generated by nifi-nar-maven-plugin when used by clients

Dan Bress
Joe,
   Once I removed the nifi-nar-bundles as the parent of my bundle's pom, I did not see the LICENSE and NOTICE files that I had issues with.  This looks like a solution to me.  Thanks!

   P.S.  Just checked the bundle archetype [1], and it points to nifi-nar-bundles.  Should the archetype behave this way?

   [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/blob/develop/nifi/nifi-maven-archetypes/nifi-processor-bundle-archetype/src/main/resources/archetype-resources/pom.xml

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services